Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Character Crushes

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Reading Saint's Blood the topic of women loving Brasti was joked about. I know they (Sarah) love Daniel Two-shot as well. Crokus from Malazan....Just as a few examples.

I've never had a female crush in a book. I've had some man crushes Quick Ben is the man and all that.

Purely a gender thing?

If somebody can make a compelling case of a female character who would fit the bill I'd be interested to read the book/series.

message 2: by Luna. ✨ (new)

Luna. ✨ (lady_luna) | 234 comments Wydrin from copper cat is an absolute babe. I have the biggest crush on that fiery red head!

Ps I also love Kaladin storm blessed from SA, Jon snow from GoT & kelsier from Mistborn!

message 3: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Aragorn
Jon Snow
Gavin Guile

message 4: by Luna. ✨ (new)

Luna. ✨ (lady_luna) | 234 comments Your top three is amazing Margaret ! Daniel two shot has stolen Gavins place in my heart but I still love Gavin so much ! Did u read Powder Mage yet?

message 5: by Luna. ✨ (new)

Luna. ✨ (lady_luna) | 234 comments Scott, i rarely come across compelling female characters. They are either men with tits or prissy princesses. That's why I love wydrin she's very different to the normal stereotypical fantasy female.

message 6: by Dan (new)

Dan Hah, what a great topic for a thread!

I have to say, it's hard to crush on some of the women from the book's I've been reading lately, because they can be so one-dimensional. Part of me had a little thing for Cithrin in The Dragon's Path, but that fell away somewhere in book 2...

Authors, on the other hand, based purely on the author's works, I have to say I have a little thing for Jemisin (not really the person, but the character I've created in my head for her)

message 7: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

And Sarah and I have talked about this: Field Marshall Tamas could give me a Werthers' butterscotch candy any day.

message 8: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3540 comments Mod
Any females I've probably not had a crush on but really enjoyed are from urban fantasy.

I adore Charlie Madigan from the Charlie Madigan series The Better Part of Darkness. Partly I love her as she doesn't exist on only coffee like younger UF heroines. She's in 30's and feels to me like she has her life a bit together. More so than others in the genre.

I've also really enjoyed Karrin Murphy in the Dresden Files, but yeah in the fantasy we tend to read in this group a female character doesn't seem to instantly spring to mind. I'ld need to really think on it.

message 9: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7217 comments Mod
My female crush has always been Kahlan from Goodkinds Sword of Truth (the book and the show, I guess). Even though I lost patience with his writing, I always loved her.

Male - Seth from Mead's Succubus Blues. And mmmm - Aragorn as well... but mostly from the movies, so it doesn't count.

message 10: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Ooh - definitely Phedre from Kushiel's Dart. Very sexy. And smart. The whole package.

message 11: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Mara from The Empire Trilogy by Raymond E Feist and Janny Wurts.
Daughter of the Empire. I read this series years ago but wanted to be Mara and try to keep up with all the political wheeling and dealing. Plus stay alive.

message 12: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

::flails:: I LOVE MARA!!!

message 13: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Niki Hawkes wrote: "My female crush has always been Kahlan from Goodkinds Sword of Truth (the book and the show, I guess). Even though I lost patience with his writing, I always loved her.

Male - Seth from Mead's Su..."

I really liked her as well Niki, though I did lose interest in the series as it kept going on and on.

message 14: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Niki Hawkes wrote: "::flails:: I LOVE MARA!!!"

Woohoo. I know right. That series was fantastic!

message 15: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Margret wrote: "And Sarah and I have talked about this: Field Marshall Tamas could give me a Werthers' butterscotch candy any day."

I'm unsure weather to ask WTF does that mean or WTF is wrong with you.

message 16: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

☽Luna☾ wrote: "Wydrin from copper cat is an absolute babe. I have the biggest crush on that fiery red head!"

Good to know. That has been on my TBR for a bit.

message 17: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

☽Luna☾ wrote: "Scott, i rarely come across compelling female characters. They are either men with tits or prissy princesses. That's why I love wydrin she's very different to the normal stereotypical fantasy female."

I agree with the stereotypes. I literally cannot think of one. I do have female characters that I love but not in a romantic sense. Arya Stark is the frigging bomb but she's a child.

message 18: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Dan wrote: "Part of me had a little thing for Cithrin ."

I wanted to smack her for a good portion of the series. Clara on the other hand as the series grew I came to adore. Still not in a romantic way but at least she's a great female character.

message 19: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

OK I confess I looked it up.

Many Japanese viewers found the dub voice acting off putting upon the ad’s airing in Japan, with them citing the strange pronunciations and dialog, notably the line “sweet, creamy, and made me feel like a special person” inadvertently being seen as a sexual double-entendre.

I had never heard of that before but now thinking back to the ads it's pretty funny.

message 20: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Niki Hawkes wrote: "Ooh - definitely Phedre from Kushiel's Dart. Very sexy. And smart. The whole package."

On the TBR but do you think this is a female only series? I'm always reticent to do the romance series.

message 21: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Angela I'll give a few of yours a shot.

message 22: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Trying to think of female characters.... hmmmm.....

Avasarala and Bobbie from the expanse. I love a big beautiful brain on a woman. And i prefer when females are more cunning, could put on a dress but still gouge your eyes out if needed. I love that fantasy is changing and the women are at the forefront of both antagonists and protagonists now

message 23: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Scott, I personally didn't find it romance-heavy, but more high fantasy with political intrigue. There's definitely a love story, but it wasn't the focal point for me, especially in the second and third books. You'd have to ask a guy who has read it to be sure though haha.

message 24: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Avasarala is my spirit animal. I love her so much, but more as a favorite aunt. Bobbie could kick my ass.

message 25: by Dan (new)

Dan Scott wrote: "Dan wrote: "Part of me had a little thing for Cithrin ."

I wanted to smack her for a good portion of the series. Clara on the other hand as the series grew I came to adore.

So yeah, truth be told... I finished the second book a while ago, and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the third. I loved Cithrin in the first book - I found her very observant, and called out people on their behavior. Second book.... yeah, she's getting a bit annoying, and losing those qualities I think.

message 26: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Dan wrote: "Scott wrote: "Dan wrote: "Part of me had a little thing for Cithrin ."

I wanted to smack her for a good portion of the series. Clara on the other hand as the series grew I came to adore.
So yeah, ..."

She redeems herself but it takes a while.

message 27: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I figured Margret's female crush would be Nynaeve. Always boxing ears and tugging braids.

message 28: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I can't say I've read enough fantasy and had actively thought of a crush but thinking now I felt I had a slight crush on Arista from Ryiria as well as Vin since they are both people I want to love and just hug them I guess I like my female characters who know about there weakness and insecurities and try to get through it (Damn you elend and Hadrian) and I haven't finished then mistborn trilogy yet

For Male crushes I think I prefer a genius or one of those people who think of clever plans although I can't put my finger on who just yet

There is also isana from codex Alera I like her character and her strong will and I also like amara although I've only read up to cursors fury but I really don't like Kitai at all for some reason the relationship feels one sided to me

message 29: by Luna. ✨ (new)

Luna. ✨ (lady_luna) | 234 comments Ahdam wrote: "I can't say I've read enough fantasy and had actively thought of a crush but thinking now I felt I had a slight crush on Arista from Ryiria as well as Vin since they are both people I want to love ..."

I must say you have fantastic taste in female characters! Vin is my book hero & Arista is a precious badass! I love them both!

message 30: by Luna. ✨ (last edited May 25, 2017 03:42AM) (new)

Luna. ✨ (lady_luna) | 234 comments Margret wrote: "Trying to think of female characters.... hmmmm.....

Avasarala and Bobbie from the expanse. I love a big beautiful brain on a woman. And i prefer when females are more cunning, could put on a dress..."

Lol Margaret your favourite character is Liv davener from lightbringer 😂😂

message 31: by Emelia (new)

Emelia  | 105 comments Hmmmmmm......

Royce
Brasti
Druss

message 32: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Emelia wrote: "Hmmmmmm......

Royce
Brasti
Druss"

I'll take who has a bad boy fetish for two-thousand Alex.

message 33: by Emelia (new)

Emelia  | 105 comments Scott wrote: "Emelia wrote: "Hmmmmmm......

Royce
Brasti
Druss"

I'll take who has a bad boy fetish for two-thousand Alex."

Me me !!! Pick me!!

lol....however in my defense....they are all closet heroes ! Especially Druss !

message 34: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Scott- omg Nynaeve. I wanted to throat punch her through all 14 f3);$&$;$ing books!

BUT.. Cadsuane Sedai is the badass to end all badass women. I feel like she could've just put on a pair of kinky heels, then crushed the dark ones head into a mattress and the Wheel of time would be concluded. Boom. Dark one defeated.

message 35: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Sarah- omfg Liv. List of characters I want to have an anvil dropped on them? That would be her on that list!

But remember the White? Holy eff I was in love with her!

Hey wait... I seem to have a thing for badass old ladies...Avasarala, the White, Cadsuane Sedai... hmmm

message 36: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments Is this for male or female? if male my choices would be:
Jean Tannen from Gentleman Bastards - great friend, big heart, loves coffee, what's not to love.
Kelsier from Mistborn trilogy - very charming.
Bo from Powder Mage trilogy - same reason with Kelsier
Baelor Breakspear - probably my favorite Targaryen (and he's got Dornish blood too)

Girlcrush....well maybe:
Nyx from God's War trilogy (well it's SF)
Monza from Best Served Cold
Inara from Firefly (sorry, another SF)
Johanna Mason from The Hunger Games (what is wrong with me this is not an SF group)
Ok, I'm out.

message 37: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Margret wrote: "BUT.. Cadsuane Sedai is the badass to end all badass women. I feel like she could've just put on a pair of kinky heels, then crushed the dark ones head into a mattress and the Wheel of time would be concluded. Boom. Dark one defeated."

Except she's 300 years old and likes knitting. NOT A CRUSH!

message 38: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Pssht. Maybe be more specific and I wouldn't be representing for the silver fox club... :D

Since I am not physically attracted to these women, I chose something I admire. They're all powerful and brilliant :)..

As for physically attractive men, the forest-y ranger type definitely makes my black heart go pitter patter

message 39: by Tammie (last edited May 25, 2017 11:19AM) (new)

Tammie | 3994 comments Ahdam wrote: "I can't say I've read enough fantasy and had actively thought of a crush but thinking now I felt I had a slight crush on Arista from Ryiria as well as Vin since they are both people I want to love ..."

Arista for sure. I liked Vin in the first book then she got annoying in some ways. I would add Marasi from the Mistborn second era books. I have a lot of male book crushes. I don't even know where to begin.

message 40: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Tammie wrote: "Ahdam wrote: "I can't say I've read enough fantasy and had actively thought of a crush but thinking now I felt I had a slight crush on Arista from Ryiria as well as Vin since they are both people I..."

True she did have problems but I just looked at it from her perspective and I looked at her differently when I did and liked her as well as being OP as f*** and I would add whoever that is if I've read the second era as well as finished the first one but I will get there eventually.

But yeah something tells me once I've read enough fantasy I will have to many crushes/admirers

message 41: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Margret wrote: "
Since I am not physically attracted to these women, I chose something I admire."

Right but while I might admire Clara (Dagger & Coin), Arya (ASOIAF) and many others the topic was crushes.

I'm actually surprised thinking on it that there isn't one from Malazan. Spite and Envy are certainly written to be hot badasses but I felt bad for all the men, well almost all, they ran into.

message 42: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

For me, "girl crush" means I want to emulate that person, admiring them as in they're my hero/jealous of their qualities.. since my sexual orientation is towards men, my lady crushes have more focus on those qualities

message 43: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3994 comments I'm going to add Laurana from The Dragonlance Chronicles, after she grew out of being the spoiled girl and became the Golden General. I loved her as the Golden General.

message 44: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3994 comments Margret wrote: "For me, "girl crush" means I want to emulate that person, admiring them as in they're my hero/jealous of their qualities.. since my sexual orientation is towards men, my lady crushes have more focu..."

Yeah that would be the same for me.

message 45: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

It's a good discussion though, what makes someone a crush vs you merely like the character.

I liked Clara as well, but she doesn't inspire those feelings in me either. Same with Vin (I think it was all of her insecurities) despite her skills as an allomancer

message 46: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3994 comments As for male crushes, some of these are from YA. Hadrian from the Riyria books for sure. Chaol from Throne of Glass, although I gave up on that series after SJM ruined him in favor of another character. Black Knife in the Orphan Queen, Flint in the Shadow Fell series, Duval and Beast in the His Fair Assassin series, Curran in the Kate Daniels series, King Zachary in the Green Rider series.

message 47: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3994 comments Margret wrote: "It's a good discussion though, what makes someone a crush vs you merely like the character.

I liked Clara as well, but she doesn't inspire those feelings in me either. Same with Vin (I think it wa..."

Yep Vin's insecurities got annoying.

message 48: by Chris (last edited May 25, 2017 01:20PM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1685 comments Hailimi Mercedes Jaya Bristol from Behind the Throne

message 49: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2144 comments Scott wrote: "Margret wrote: "
Since I am not physically attracted to these women, I chose something I admire."

Right but while I might admire Clara (Dagger & Coin), Arya (ASOIAF) and many others the topic was ..."

Hellian!

message 50: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited May 25, 2017 02:40PM) (new)

Scott wrote: "Angela I'll give a few of yours a shot."

Good luck Scott. I read the series are long time ago, so hope it's held up well over time.

« previous 1