The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 30.3 - Bryony's Task: Enjoy the Journey

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 26, 2017 05:33PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4348 comments Mod
30.3 - Bryony's Task: Enjoy the Journey

Spring was my first time participating in the SRC. I was so determined to finish the challenge that I ended up not reading some of the longer or more challenging books that I'd originally shortlisted as I knew I'd struggle to finish them in time. I don't regret this as I discovered some great new authors and really enjoyed the books I read. However, my goal for the summer challenge will be to slow down and enjoy the journey rather than racing full steam ahead to the finish line.

So in this task I invite you to join me in reading some books that put the challenge into the SRC.

Please choose one of the following options and read book 1 and book 2 from that option. You must read two books with a total page count of at least 500 pages. REQUIRED: Include in your post the option you chose.

Option 1: The long and winding road
Book one: Read any book that is at least 500 pages long.

Book two: Read any book from Buzzfeed's list of the 25 most challenging books you will ever read.

Option 2: I am the walrus
Did you know that this Beatles song refers to a poem titled 'The Walrus and the Carpenter' which appears in the classic book Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll?

Book one: How often do you hear someone mention a classic book and think to yourself "I really should have read that"? Read a book that has been shelved as 'classics' at least 2,000 times on this Goodreads list.
REQUIRED: Include the page of the list on which your book is found in your post.

Book two: We all have books we mean to read but keep putting off because they're long, or a bit intimidating. Read a book that has been on your TBR for at least a year. If you don't have a TBR then read a book you've been planning to read for at least a year.

Option 3: Paperback writer
It's summer! Who has time for long books and complicated plots? What about a good old page turner to read on your summer holiday?

Book one: Airport novels are usually defined as fast-paced, easy to read, intriguing books that a traveller buys to keep them entertained on a long journey. They are published in paperback and sold at airport news stands. Read a book by a single author who appears on Wikipedia's list of writers of airport novels.

Book two: Once you've finished your airport novel you'll need a book to enjoy while you sit on the beach sipping your favourite drink. Read a book with any of the following items on the cover: the sun
a swimming pool
a beach
a hotel - identified by a sign or name on the building
ice cream
a sun lounger or beach chair
a parasol - for sun protection, not a rain umbrella
a sandal or pair of sandals.
REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post.

message 2: by Bryony (last edited May 27, 2017 11:56PM) (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Approved

Option 3, book 2
Beach on cover:
Where Would I Be Without You? by Guillaume Musso

Parasol on cover:
Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4) by Gail Carriger

Sandal(s) on cover:
Suddenly One Summer (FBI/US Attorney, #6) by Julie James

message 3: by Bryony (last edited Aug 09, 2017 12:44PM) (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Not approved

Option 3, book 1:
Homeroom Diaries (not by a single author)
3rd Degree (not by a single author)

Option 3, book 1: Swimming in the Sink An Episode of the Heart by Lynne Cox

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

This thread is now open.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7517 comments just a note, the classics list is defaulting to pg 5, not pg 1

message 6: by SRC Moderator (new)

Dee wrote: "just a note, the classics list is defaulting to pg 5, not pg 1"

Thanks, Dee.

message 7: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments For option 3 book 1. Does it need to be a book written soley by the author on the list or can it be two as long as one is in the list. For example. This book Homeroom Diaries is written by James Patterson but another author is noted too.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1472 comments Please confirm Suddenly One Summer (FBI/US Attorney, #6) by Julie James for sandals on the cover. As they are high heeled sandals, I'm not sure if they qualify.

Thanks.

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3612 comments JennRenee wrote: "For option 3 book 1. Does it need to be a book written soley by the author on the list or can it be two as long as one is in the list. For example. This book Homeroom Diaries is wri..."

Ditto ... I was thinking of 3rd Degree (Women's Murder Club, #3) by James Patterson
Which has Patterson's name prominently on the cover, but also notes "and Andrew Gross" in little letters beneath Patterson's BIG name.

message 10: by Kristen (new)

Kristen IA (kristenia) | 678 comments "Please choose one of the following options and read book 1 and book 2 from that option. You must read two books with a total page count of at least 500 pages."

Just to clarify, does each book have to be 500 pages or both books combined equals 500 pages? I'm pretty sure the answer is the latter, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks!

message 11: by Shree (last edited May 26, 2017 04:34PM) (new)

Shree | 120 comments Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4) by Gail Carriger

Parasol she's holding? The series is part of Parasol Protectorate sooo, but I just wanted to make sure!

message 12: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1057 comments Hi,

For beach on cover?

Thanks!

message 13: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments JennRenee wrote: "For option 3 book 1. Does it need to be a book written soley by the author on the list or can it be two as long as one is in the list. For example. This book Homeroom Diaries is wri..."

Hi Jenn, it needs to be a book by a single author on the list so that doesn't work unfortunately. The task description has been updated to make that clear now. Sorry!

message 14: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Lauren wrote: "Please confirm Suddenly One Summer (FBI/US Attorney, #6) by Julie James for sandals on the cover. As they are high heeled sandals, I'm not sure if they qualify.

Thanks."

That's fine Lauren, enjoy the book!

message 15: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Which has Patterson's name prominently on the cover, but also notes "and Andrew Gross" in little letters beneath Patterson's BIG name. "

Sorry, it needs to be a book by a single author on the list so this one doesn't work.

message 16: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Shree wrote: "Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4) by Gail Carriger

Parasol she's holding? The series is part of Parasol Protectorate sooo, but I just wanted to make sure!"

Yes, definitely a parasol. I don't think that would be much use as a rain umbrella! :-)

message 17: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Pia wrote: "Hi,

For beach on cover?

Thanks!"

That's approved. Happy reading!

message 18: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Kristen wrote: ""Please choose one of the following options and read book 1 and book 2 from that option. You must read two books with a total page count of at least 500 pages."

Just to clarify, does each book hav..."

The two books combined need to be at least 500 pages. If you choose option one then your book one must be at least 500 pages alone, but for options two and three you just need a combined page count of 500 or more.

message 19: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3612 comments Bryony wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Which has Patterson's name prominently on the cover, but also notes "and Andrew Gross" in little letters beneath Patterson's BIG name. "

Sorry, it needs to be a book by a si..."

Most of Patterson's books won't work then, because almost all of them have a second author.

message 20: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Most of Patterson's books won't work then, because almost all of them have a second author.
"

He does seem to collaborate a lot, I'm sure I saw a news story about him writing a book with Bill Clinton recently! I think quite a few of the Alex Cross series are listed on GR as only by Patterson, as are some of the books in his other series. Hopefully that allows a bit of choice for anyone particularly wanting to read one of his books, and there are plenty of other popular authors on the list so I hope it won't be too tricky for people to find a book they'll enjoy.

message 21: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Tyson | 215 comments Hi Bryony, I joined GR on 14th June last year. At the time of the start of the GR challenge my GR TBR will not be a year old therefore. Is it okay to pick a book from my TBR as long as it has a date of the day i joined then, since you mentioned a "read a book you've been planning to read for at least a year" and the books i put on my list on day one will have been books i've been wanting to read for a while?

message 22: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Nicola wrote: "Hi Bryony, I joined GR on 14th June last year. At the time of the start of the GR challenge my GR TBR will not be a year old therefore. Is it okay to pick a book from my TBR as long as it has a dat..."

Yes, that's totally fine. Any book you've planned to read for at least a year works, even if you didn't have a GR TBR a year ago.

message 23: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Tyson | 215 comments Bryony wrote: "Nicola wrote: "Hi Bryony, I joined GR on 14th June last year. At the time of the start of the GR challenge my GR TBR will not be a year old therefore. Is it okay to pick a book from my TBR as long ..."

Thanks and congrats on completing in record time on your first season!

message 24: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Thank you! It was a lot of fun, hopefully I'll also enjoy the slower approach I'm planning for Summer.

message 25: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3372 comments Does this work for option 3, swimming pool?
Swimming in the Sink An Episode of the Heart by Lynne Cox The author is one awesome swimmer, ( Swimming to Antarctica Tales of a Long-Distance Swimmer by Lynne Cox

message 26: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Andy wrote: "Does this work for option 3, swimming pool?
Swimming in the Sink An Episode of the Heart by Lynne Cox The author is one awesome swimmer, ( [bookcover:Swimming to Antarctica: Tales of a Lon..."

Sorry Andy, that looks like it's a sink with a person swimming in it, so I don't think it can count as a swimming pool. Looks like a fascinating book though.

message 27: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3372 comments Bryony wrote: "Andy wrote: "Does this work for option 3, swimming pool?
Swimming in the Sink An Episode of the Heart by Lynne Cox The author is one awesome swimmer, ( [bookcover:Swimming to Antarctica: T..."

Thanks,

message 28: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Barnes | 512 comments Is this enough of a beach to qualify or are you looking for a waterline as well as sand:

The Sanctuary by Sarah Collins

Thanks!

message 29: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 760 comments Would Does This Beach Make Me Look Fat? True Stories and Confessions by Lisa Scottoline qualify for either beach or sandal for option 3 book 2? I consider flip-flops sandals, but not everyone does, and they are definitely at the beach, but only a small strip of sand is showing at the bottom.

message 30: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Sandi wrote: "Is this enough of a beach to qualify or are you looking for a waterline as well as sand:

The Sanctuary by Sarah Collins

Thanks!"

I think that's recognisably a beach so it works fine for this task. Happy reading!

message 31: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Brooke wrote: "Would Does This Beach Make Me Look Fat? True Stories and Confessions by Lisa Scottoline qualify for either beach or sandal for option 3 book 2? I consider flip-flops sandals, but not everyone do..."

Flip flops definitely count as sandals if you ask me, so that cover works. Enjoy the book!

message 32: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Hey there. Could I get Beauty Queens by Libba Bray ok'd for "beach" please? Can't see a ton of it but hope it's cool. Thanks!

message 33: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Cindy wrote: "Hey there. Could I get Beauty Queens by Libba Bray ok'd for "beach" please? Can't see a ton of it but hope it's cool. Thanks!"

That's definitely a beach. Happy reading!

message 34: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 178 comments Bryony wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Hey there. Could I get Beauty Queens by Libba Bray ok'd for "beach" please? Can't see a ton of it but hope it's cool. Thanks!"

That's definitely a beach. Happy reading!"

Sweet. Thanks so much!

message 35: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (alyciac) | 212 comments Would this work for Option 3, book 2: showing the beach? There's a little sliver visible on the right side of the cover:
Death at First Sight (Bay Island Psychic Mystery #1) by Lena Gregory

message 36: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Alycia wrote: "Would this work for Option 3, book 2: showing the beach? There's a little sliver visible on the right side of the cover:
Death at First Sight (Bay Island Psychic Mystery #1) by Lena Gregory"

I can just about make out the beach when I look at a bigger image of the cover, so that's fine. Happy reading!

message 37: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Option 3: Book 2

Ocean Beach (Ten Beach Road, #2) by Wendy Wax appears to me a lady laying in a hammock on the beach.

What say you, Bryony?

message 38: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Sorry Anne, although I can see the image is intended to be a person in a hammock on the beach, I can't actually see any of the beach in the image, only the sea and possibly some rocks under the hammock?

message 39: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Bryony wrote: "Sorry Anne, although I can see the image is intended to be a person in a hammock on the beach, I can't actually see any of the beach in the image, only the sea and possibly some rocks under the ham..."

It's ok Bryony. I'll find another book or Option :) Thanks for getting back to me.

message 40: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1057 comments Hi, would this cover work for Option 3, book 2, parasol on cover?

La templanza by María Dueñas

Thanks!

message 41: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Pia wrote: "Hi, would this cover work for Option 3, book 2, parasol on cover?

Thanks!"

Looks like a parasol to me so all good. Enjoy the book!

message 42: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1057 comments Bryony wrote: "Pia wrote: "Hi, would this cover work for Option 3, book 2, parasol on cover?

Thanks!"

Looks like a parasol to me so all good. Enjoy the book!"

Thanks!