The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 30.11 - Perletwo's Task: A Place Both Wonderful and Strange

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 24, 2017 07:48AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4347 comments Mod
30.11 - Perletwo's task: A Place Both Wonderful and Strange

As I write this I'm still buzzing from binge-watching the first four episodes of Twin Peaks: The Return. Very little has happened so far, what has happened is not exactly linear, none of it makes a lick of sense, but every frame is lush and gorgeous and I'm loving every second of it.

This is a two-book task.

Book 1: Part of what makes Twin Peaks so distinctive, then and now, is the atmospheric visuals of its settings, mainly in the Pacific Northwest. Read a book set at least 50 percent in one of the states used as a setting in the series: Washington, British Columbia (Canada), Oregon, South Dakota, Nevada, New York.

REQUIRED: If the setting is not evident on the book's main page include a reference or quote from the book when you post.

Book 2: In the original series, FBI Agent Cooper has a dream in which he meets a strange otherworldly version of his case's murder victim Laura Palmer, who tells him she'll see him again in 25 years. The new series takes place exactly 25 years after the events of the original series. Read a book first published in 1992 or in 2017; the publication year must be listed on the book's Goodreads main page.

message 2: by Suzanne (last edited May 24, 2017 10:24PM) (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments book 1

Approved:
Undertow (BC Blues Crime, #2) by R.M. Greenaway

message 3: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments placeholder for book 2

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4347 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1057 comments Will this book work for option 1, set in British Columbia?
The series is called BC Blues Crime, BC standing for British Columbia

Undertow A B.C. Blues Crime Novel (B.C. Blues Crime, #2) by R.M. Greenaway

Thanks!

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Pia wrote: "Will this book work for option 1, set in British Columbia?
The series is called BC Blues Crime, BC standing for British Columbia

Undertow A B.C. Blues Crime Novel (B.C. Blues Crime, #2) by R.M. Greenaway

Thanks!"

It's clear in the plot summary that they're in Vancouver, B.C., so yes, it should work.

message 7: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments not requesting approval for anything, just wanted to say that i, too, am still buzzing from the new eppies! it's going to be such a fun and scary ride! :) LOVE this task!

message 8: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Johnson | 260 comments Will Merrick by Claire Cray work for option 1? The summary states that it's set in New York city and upstate New York, but would I also need to provide quotes?

Thanks!

message 9: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Siobhan wrote: "Will Merrick by Claire Cray work for option 1? The summary states that it's set in New York city and upstate New York, but would I also need to provide quotes?

Thanks!"

As far as setting goes it looks OK to me, but you might want to check it against the challenge rules - it doesn't seem to have a print edition. (I've never tried to use the Ebook Verification thread, so can't advise you there.)

message 10: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Johnson | 260 comments Thank you! :) And it doesn't, but I think (think being the operative word, may double check after I get back from work) that's alright as long as there isn't a length component?

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15613 comments Mod
Siobhan wrote: "Thank you! :) And it doesn't, but I think (think being the operative word, may double check after I get back from work) that's alright as long as there isn't a length component?"

Correct, as long as it has been verified in the ebook verification thread as having at least 100 pages. Be sure to include the verification information (line # from verification spreadsheet or post number of the verification) when you post the task.

message 12: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Johnson | 260 comments Awesome! Thank you, I shall definitely remember :)

message 13: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Is there enough red in this to count? A Kim Jong-Il Production The Extraordinary True Story of a Kidnapped Filmmaker, His Star Actress, and a Young Dictator's Rise to Power by Paul Fischer

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Nicola wrote: "Is there enough red in this to count? A Kim Jong-Il Production The Extraordinary True Story of a Kidnapped Filmmaker, His Star Actress, and a Young Dictator's Rise to Power by Paul Fischer"

wrong task thread, i think? the Canada Day task maybe?

message 15: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Suzanne wrote: "Nicola wrote: "Is there enough red in this to count? [bookcover:A Kim Jong-Il Production: The Extraordinary True Story of a Kidnapped Filmmaker, His Star Actress, and a Young Dictator's Rise to Pow..."

yes :-) sorry about that.

message 16: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 260 comments Could I get The Talbot Odyssey by Nelson DeMille approved for taking place in NY for book 1?

Depending on which version of the book you look at, GR shows the setting as NYC and Long Island. The version I am reading does not list the setting.

The book takes place in NYC and Long Island.

Thank you,

message 17: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Shawn wrote: "Could I get The Talbot Odyssey by Nelson DeMille approved for taking place in NY for book 1?

Depending on which version of the book you look at, GR shows the setting as ..."

OK, I had to dig for it on the book's GR page, but I'll approve it for the NYC base of the hero.