The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 30.5 - Catherine T's Task: Inspired by Books

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 25, 2017 06:37PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4522 comments Mod
30.5 - Catherine T's Task: Inspired by Books

I reread a couple of classic SFF books (The Man in the High Castle & Slaughterhouse-Five, if you're interested) during the Spring challenge, and was amazed by how different I found them, a decade or more after the first read - whether because I'm now the right age to appreciate them or because I am a better reader, I don't know!
So this task is inspired by this brace of WW2 books.

For this task, you may read 1 or 2 books, but you must read a minimum of 600 pages. If you read 2 books, they may come from the same option or different options. REQUIRED: State the option(s) you chose in your post.

Books with the main page genres of Graphic Novels/Manga/Comics are allowed for this task as long as they meet SRC requirements.

1. Re-read a book you last read a decade or more ago, to see how you or it has changed over time.
REQUIRED: state that it's a reread and that you've not read it for at least a decade.
Optional: let us know how your experience has changed - is an old favourite lacking now, or all the richer? perhaps a book that bewildered is now scintillating?

2. Slaughterhouse-Five has the catchphrase "So it goes" - indicative of the futility of life, whilst characters in The Man in the High Castle rely on the I Ching to steer a course through life (PKD apparently even used the I Ching to make decisions whilst writing it!)
Read a book with all author initials found in the two phrases SO IT GOES and/or I CHING
You can use both phrases - Graham Greene would be acceptable, for instance, using 1 G from "Goes" and 1 G from "Ching."

3. Read a book with the main page genre World War II. The genre may be standalone or embedded.

message 3: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2243 comments Snagged

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4522 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Hi,

Can you please verify In Farleigh Field A Novel of World War II by Rhys Bowen

For WWII
Even if the title says: A novel of WW II,
this is the last genre and I'm afraid it may disappear.

Thanks!

message 6: by Shree (new)

Shree | 120 comments I would be in Middle School 10 years ago. Well...I've been meaning to re-read all my Tamora Pierce's. It's either that or Nancy Drew.

I have to applaud you for your far reaching task, I had remember what I did almost half a life ago lol. It'll feel nostalgic.

message 7: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Please confirm for works war II Prisoner of Night and Fog

message 8: by Peg (new)

Peg | 389 comments Please confirm for WWII the books The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History and Daddy I also worry about the genre falling off, especially on Daddy. Thank you! Great challenge, and I was torn in so many different directions.

message 9: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2243 comments Pia wrote: "Hi,

Can you please verify In Farleigh Field A Novel of World War II by Rhys Bowen

For WWII
Even if the title says: A novel of WW II,
this is the last genre and I'm afraid it may disappear..."

Approved!

message 10: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2243 comments JennRenee wrote: "Please confirm for works war II Prisoner of Night and Fog"

Approved!

message 11: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2243 comments Shree wrote: "I would be in Middle School 10 years ago. Well...I've been meaning to re-read all my Tamora Pierce's. It's either that or Nancy Drew.

I have to applaud you for your far reaching task, I had remem..."

Tamora Pierce is fab! And yes, I nearly excluded Kids books, before coming to me senses and remembering that not everyone is as blessed with years as I!

message 12: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2243 comments Peg wrote: "Please confirm for WWII the books The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History and Daddy I also worry about the genre fall..."

Both approved :)

message 13: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3872 comments Catherine wrote: "I nearly excluded Kids books, before coming to me senses and remembering that not everyone is as blessed with years as I"

Catherine, I think you have to address the KIDS issue...saying Childrens genre is allowed if it meets SRC requirements...like you did with Graphic Novels. Best to check with mods.

message 14: by Cat (last edited May 26, 2017 03:58AM) (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2243 comments Bea wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I nearly excluded Kids books, before coming to me senses and remembering that not everyone is as blessed with years as I"

Catherine, I think you have to address the KIDS issue......"

nope, new rules have kids as default OK (subject to the standard AR bookfinder levels), and have to be exempted, not included (e.g. kids books are excluded in task 30.4)

(see #4 here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...)

message 15: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3872 comments Catherine wrote: "nope, new rules have kids as default OK (subject to the standard AR bookfinder levels), and have to be exempted, not included."

Ah. Missed that.

message 16: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2243 comments Bea wrote: "Catherine wrote: "nope, new rules have kids as default OK (subject to the standard AR bookfinder levels), and have to be exempted, not included."

Ah. Missed that."

No worries! - best to flag up possible issues now, before the task gets locked down :)

message 17: by Dee (last edited May 26, 2017 04:18AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments can I get Lilac Girls and The Alice Network approved for WW2?

message 18: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2243 comments Dee wrote: "can I get Lilac Girls and The Alice Network approved for WW2?"

Both approved

message 19: by Dee (last edited May 26, 2017 04:41AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments Shree wrote: "I would be in Middle School 10 years ago. Well...I've been meaning to re-read all my Tamora Pierce's. It's either that or Nancy Drew.

I have to applaud you for your far reaching task, I had remem..."

tamora pierce - yassss - and my library has the first Alanna book (it was that or like a babysitters club) - or if I can find it, a book I've been trying to find for close to a decade

message 20: by Book Concierge (last edited May 26, 2017 11:57AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3652 comments You'll have to trust me that I read this over a decade ago ... because it was long before I was in Goodreads ... heck it was before there WAS a Goodreads (or even an internet!)

I think I first read this in about 1968, and I've actually been considering re-reading it ... thanks for the "push"!
The Agony and the Ecstasy

Oh, and I think this qualifies for the one-book option, if I'm reading the requirements correctly.

message 21: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2243 comments Book Concierge wrote: "You'll have to trust me that I read this over a decade ago ... because it was long before I was in Goodreads ... heck it was before there WAS a Goodreads (or even an internet!)

I think I first rea..."

Yeah, we're taking the reread on trust!
You might be interested in the National Gallery, London exhibition on Michelangelo & Sebastiano - check out the Facebook page for the curator tour - https://m.facebook.com/story.php?stor...

message 22: by Shree (new)

Shree | 120 comments Dee wrote: "tamora pierce - yassss - and my library has the first Alanna book (it was that or like a babysitters club) - or if I can find it, a book I've been trying to find for close to a decade "

Babysitters Club. Wow that has been a long while. What was that series of girls in that one equestrian club? Oh! and Series of Unfortunate Events way back in elementary.

message 23: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments Oh man, SO excited about this task - I wish I could do all three options.

It's been a while since I dove into a non-fiction WWII tome, and I'm happy to have that nudge.

Can I have The Secret War: Spies, Codes and Guerrillas 1939-1945 verified for World War II, please and thank you?

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily | 653 comments Shree wrote: "Dee wrote: "tamora pierce - yassss - and my library has the first Alanna book (it was that or like a babysitters club) - or if I can find it, a book I've been trying to find for close to a decade "..."

Shree - Thoroughbred series?

message 25: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2243 comments Sally wrote: "Oh man, SO excited about this task - I wish I could do all three options.

It's been a while since I dove into a non-fiction WWII tome, and I'm happy to have that nudge.

Can I have [book:The Secr..."

I'm glad it's good for you! :)

Approved The Secret War

message 26: by Amber (new)

Amber (ambrosian) | 268 comments Can I get The Book Thief verified for WWII? I'm never sure how these things show up to other people, so hopefully it's there when you check. Thank you!

message 27: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2243 comments Amber wrote: "Can I get The Book Thief verified for WWII? I'm never sure how these things show up to other people, so hopefully it's there when you check. Thank you!"

Approved

message 28: by Ava Catherine (last edited May 31, 2017 05:23PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments May I get WWII verification for The Caine Mutiny: A Novel of World War II?
Thanks.

message 29: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15682 comments Mod
Please note Winter of the World for WWII - it comes and goes!

Thanks.

message 30: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2243 comments Connie (Ava Catherine) wrote: "May I get WWII verification for The Caine Mutiny: A Novel of World War II?
Thanks."

confirmed

message 31: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2243 comments Sandy wrote: "Please note Winter of the World for WWII - it comes and goes!

Thanks."

Gone at the moment, but I'll check back later, see if I can catch it for you!

message 32: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1472 comments Thanks, Catherine.

message 33: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments Shree wrote: "Dee wrote: "tamora pierce - yassss - and my library has the first Alanna book (it was that or like a babysitters club) - or if I can find it, a book I've been trying to find for close to a decade "..."

or the gymnastics club - I vaguely remember a few of those - I devoured those books as a pre-teen

message 34: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2243 comments Sandy wrote: "Please note Winter of the World for WWII - it comes and goes!

Thanks."

Sandy! Sandy! I saw it! MPG WW2 confirmed!

message 35: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15682 comments Mod
Catherine wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Please note Winter of the World for WWII - it comes and goes!

Thanks."

Sandy! Sandy! I saw it! MPG WW2 confirmed!"

LOL - thanks, Catherine!

message 36: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments can I please get Goodnight from London approved for WW2

message 37: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2243 comments Dee wrote: "can I please get Goodnight from London approved for WW2"

Approved

message 38: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 412 comments If you can please approve Between Shades of Gray for WW2. Thank you!

message 39: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2243 comments Valerie wrote: "If you can please approve Between Shades of Gray for WW2. Thank you!"

Approved