Our Shared Shelf discussion

Miscellaneous > Does Anyone Listen to Music When They Read?

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Joelle (stephaniejoelle) | 9 comments I like to listen to the soundtrack of the film (if there is one) of the book I am reading. I was wondering if anyone else does anything similar or if you listen to music at all or if it is too distracting while reading? Another thing I do is I like to play the Fireplace For Your Home on Netflix while I read. The combination of the two is so soothing to me. I do not like to eat and read or even drink and read, and I know that is very common for most readers. Just curious to see what are some of your reading habits out there.

message 2: by Jenine (new)

Jenine (_jenine) | 28 comments Have you ever heard of The Piano Guys? If you haven't well, you can try their music which is a mix of pop and classical, especially their older ones... :)

message 3: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilya108) | 5 comments Yes, I do listen to music while I read. They both soothe me but I find my focus when the music isn't so loud otherwise I focus more on the lyrics than the book lol.

message 4: by elizabeth (new)

elizabeth | 18 comments It depends. Typically I don't because there's already enough sounds around me, but whenever I do, I tend to like to listen to relaxing piano pieces.

message 5: by Gerd (new)

Gerd | 428 comments Jenine wrote: "Have you ever heard of The Piano Guys? If you haven't well, you can try their music which is a mix of pop and classical, especially their older ones... :)"

Are those the guys that worked with Lindsay Stirling on that "Mission Impossible" tribute?

Yes, I do listen to music while reading, sometimes. Mostly movie scores (Horner, Goldsmith, Zimmer... a very male line-up I'm afraid).

message 6: by Cailee (new)

Cailee I love listening to music while I read at home, typically jazz or classical because I can't focus on my reading if I'm listening to anything with lyrics. But if I'm out of the house, I tend to enjoy the sounds of the environment around me instead.

message 7: by Jenine (new)

Jenine (_jenine) | 28 comments elizabeth wrote: "It depends. Typically I don't because there's already enough sounds around me, but whenever I do, I tend to like to listen to relaxing piano pieces."

Yes it's them! I specifically recommend listening to the classical mixes, such as Borne Vivaldi, Rock meets Rachmonif (misspelled) or
even Frozen.

Lindsey Stirling's music is also a good option, especially Crystallize and Transcendence Orchestral.

message 8: by Jenine (new)

Jenine (_jenine) | 28 comments Oh my mistake! I meant to reply to Gerd.

message 9: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments Always find Avril Lavigne or Opera aids concentration when reading

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather | 1 comments I like to listen to classical when I read. It tends to block out other noises and help me relax. Plus, I am not hearing lyrics. The odd thing I really only listen to classical when I read. The rest of the time I'm mostly about rock, hip hop and swing.

message 11: by Gerd (new)

Gerd | 428 comments Jenine wrote: "Yes it's them! I specifically recommend listening to the classical mixes, such as Borne Vivaldi, Rock meets Rachmonif (misspelled) or even Frozen...."

I'll make a mental note to hop over and check them out the next time I stalk visit Lindsay's YouTube channel.

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin (z_rob) | 128 comments Gerd wrote: "Jenine wrote: "Yes it's them! I specifically recommend listening to the classical mixes, such as Borne Vivaldi, Rock meets Rachmonif (misspelled) or even Frozen...."

I'll make a mental note to hop..."

Congrats for being a fan of Lindsey👏

As for me it depends on the book and the mood I am in

message 13: by Wolf (new)

Wolf Tocheny (WolfReads) | 10 comments I do! I'm doing it right now in fact!
I find that "Study Vibes" on Spotify is pretty neat to read to.
It's a calming but focusing playlist that I just stumbled upon recently. Check it out maybe :).

message 14: by Megan (new)

Megan Cheang | 97 comments I prefer not to read while listening to music, especially music I like because then I get distracted and listen to the music instead. However, I can listen to background music and read at the same time, mostly because I can ignore it.

message 15: by Anshita (new)

Anshita (_book_freak) | 14 comments I have the same problems.
When I listen to contemporary songs, I start lip-syncing the lyrics, and forget about the book.
If instrumental music I'm listening to contains participation of any instruments I play, I get distracted.
The only music I can listen to is the classical music of Bach, Mozart and Debussy, hoping I don't start dreaming about old Tom and Jerry classics.

message 16: by Kohana (last edited Apr 02, 2018 02:17PM) (new)

Kohana (koko4) I listen to OSTs from specific anime becuase it helps me concentrate better specially if there is a genre of music/type of music that goes with the setting/plot of the book I'm reading. Really helps me in transporting to that world.

Everyone has their own specifications and recommendations for music, for me, its Soundtracks from anime or animation movies/TV series/movies.

Don't listen to songs though, the lyrics will hamper your concentration, listen to music or soundtracks.

message 17: by Roger (new)

Roger Burt | 26 comments I listen to all kinds of music when I read but especially when I'm working on my novel. I call it my adolescent mind. It feeds me energy which means I can do soft jazz or techno dance. Go figure.

message 18: by Jenine (new)

Jenine (_jenine) | 28 comments Gerd wrote: "Jenine wrote: "Yes it's them! I specifically recommend listening to the classical mixes, such as Borne Vivaldi, Rock meets Rachmonif (misspelled) or even Frozen...."

I'll make a menta..."
You should actually. Anyone who hears a sound of there music will glide to watch. Like countless bees on spilled honey!

Robin wrote: "Gerd wrote: "Jenine wrote: "Yes it's them! I specifically recommend listening to the classical mixes, such as Borne Vivaldi, Rock meets Rachmonif (misspelled) or even Frozen...."

I'll make a menta..."

I've never had the chance to by the book, though I heard about
her film. I prefer the oldest pieces and the latest two. I feel that The Piano Guys are more attractive than her... my taste.

message 19: by Jenine (new)

Jenine (_jenine) | 28 comments that's 'buy' not 'by'

message 20: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Katelyn (katelynrh) | 836 comments Mod
Moved to Miscellaneous

message 21: by Dena (new)

Dena Gregoire (dysprosium) | 10 comments I love listening to music while I read. Instrumental or acoustic are the styles I choose.

I love to try to pick a soundtrack to match the book I'm reading.

Eg When reading a Fantasy book filled with travelling adventures, sword fighting and magic maybe Basil Poledouris Conan the Barbarian sound track.

message 22: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Huerta (anne_007) | 1 comments I love to search for instrumental music that "matches" the book. When I read some kind of thriller or terror novel I may listen to tge soundtrack of the "Woman in Black" or something like that. I love to do that XD

message 23: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Fitch | 1 comments It all depends...I more like tones not music, LOVE the pandora Tycho radio for reading!

message 24: by Celia (new)

Celia Walters | 2 comments Yes, I do! My reading time is limited and so when
I do get to the house is too quiet and I need atention

message 25: by Rumell (new)

Rumell Khan (rkrespectedmember) No it is hard to concentrate when you are reading a book while listening a music. It is psychological that I can't do two things at the same time.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I really like to listen to some Linkin Park songs when I read in a noisy or stressful environment. It helps me to relax and concentrate.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello!
It depends, when I write or read publications I am usually listening to music. It can be 60ies, 70ies or 80ies songs or more recent one as long as it is not heavy metal I am fine^^ I have a little preference for soundtracks or classical music though.
However, when I read a book I prefer to be in a peaceful environment and sometime a quiet one if I need to think and challenge myself.

message 28: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 80 comments If I'm home, I usually read in silence.
While I go to work or college, I usually listen to the music I have on my iPod AND read. I'm used to reading with background noise.

message 29: by Megan (new)

Megan Cheang | 97 comments I never listen to music when I read. I find it too distracting. Whenever I hear music, I always want to listen to the whole song and sometimes move my feet to it. Unless of course the song is background music, then I can read.

message 30: by Pariseia (last edited Mar 10, 2018 09:30AM) (new)

Pariseia (reesee1988) | 1 comments I listen to music when I read and love it! When I'm at home, unless my fiance is playing music or video games, I don't listen to music when I read. Music helps me tune the world out (so to speak) and allows me to focus.
The type of music I listen to varies. If I'm at home, and need to tune my fiance out ( :) ); I listen to Carla Morrison, something sappy and mellow. If I'm in public and a lot is going on around me; I listen to music that's "energetic". I've been listening to a lot of Neutal Milk Hotel on my work breaks, lately.

message 31: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Yes! I can't stand to not have music playing.

message 32: by Erin (new)

Erin Bee (erinbeereads) I'm a massage therapist so I'm constantly making playlists. one of my tests to see if the mix works is reading while I listen. if I can't tune out the music completely I don't think my clients would enjoy it.

message 33: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (yumonigiri) | 2 comments For me it depends on the book I'm reading and the mood I am in. But when I do, I tend to choose instrumental soundtracks (Joe Hisaishi always works for me and currently I really enjoy the soundtrack to "A single man"). When I do venture into the territory of songs with vocals I always make sure that the lyrics are not the same language as my book, so the main focus stays on my reading. :)

message 34: by Rumell (new)

Rumell Khan (rkrespectedmember) I love to read a book about listening to music.

message 35: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimfec) | 3 comments I love to listen movie scores at work and when I'm reading. It really helps me concentrate.

message 36: by Mahmoud (new)

Mahmoud Amr I can not bare to listen to anyone or anything when I am actually reading..because all my senses would be focused on the concept of the text..
And if it happens that there was actually "sort of" music...
90% of the time I would forget what I have read..
Don't know about you guys but I would not recommend it...have fun!!

message 37: by Cate (new)

Cate (catguta30) | 6 comments Weirdly enough it can help me focus. Sometimes the break room at work can be too loud. But putting in my earbuds and listening to music helps me get focus back with my book!

message 38: by Robin (new)

Robin (z_rob) | 128 comments I think it's cool actually, it can "spice" the book I'm reading.

message 39: by Katie (new)

Katie I tend to focus too much on the lyrics. I'm a copy editor so not focusing on what I'm reading can be problematic. Instead of music, I like to listen to white noise, asmr, or classical music if I need to drown out the noise around me.

message 40: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Lovegreen (lynn_lovegreen) Depends on the book--sometimes I'll read in a quiet room if the book takes some concentration. Other times, It's fun to read with music in the background.

message 41: by Rafi'ulfath (new)

Rafi'ulfath (ahmadranah) | 2 comments both depends on the kind of the music and the book itself, but if it's raining, I tend to pick a book and start to read while listening to instrumental music or at least mixed jazz like what Mindful Vibes produced in their YT channel.

message 42: by Gilgamesha (new)

Gilgamesha | 3 comments Depends on the genre and subject matter of the book....If I am reading light fictions...i.e....comedy and romance I don't need music...but if I am reading history or philosophy or nonfiction in general I play classical or instrumental music to stay focused 😊

message 43: by Vivien (new)

Vivien Ayinotu (ayinotuv) | 4 comments Vivien Ayinotu I don't necessary read with music as I can find it distracting especially if I love the book so much.

message 44: by Margo (new)

Margo | 1 comments I do maybe half the time. But if I do, the book and music end up being linked in my mind.

message 45: by Mary (new)

Mary | 5 comments Sometimes, though I prefer not to because it can be distracting. Though I must say that when I read Lorraine Hansberry’s “To Be Young, Gifted, and Black,” listening to Nina Simone (who sang the song of the same title — it was dedicated to Hansberry, after all) enhanced that experience.

I’ve also listened to music in Spanish when reading Spanish-language books, and it helped my comprehension.

message 46: by Ada (new)

Ada (alexab92) I do :D But only instrumental. Like Zen music or Rain and forest music, music like this <3

message 47: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (fallandfox) | 10 comments I do! I love listening to some classical music, I think this helps me to concentrate better when I am surrounded by people (like in the bus) or I just want to relax, I have some playlists on Spotify.

message 48: by Rafi'ulfath (new)

Rafi'ulfath (ahmadranah) | 2 comments Alexa wrote: "I do :D But only instrumental. Like Zen music or Rain and forest music, music like this <3"

it's called white noise tho.

message 49: by Karthik (new)

Karthik | 1 comments I personally feel that listening to music while I read can be used quite a good method to critique a book, you know it's a good book when you focus on the book more than the music and it could also indicate that the book isn't holding your interest