Bookwarts Club of Pages and Literacy discussion

Individual Challenges > Reading Rainbow Challenge

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam | The Dust Bunny Reader, Headmistress (new)

Sam | The Dust Bunny Reader (thedustbunnyreader) | 1086 comments Mod
Reading Rainbow Challenge

The temperature is rising...rising...rising! This heat is already becoming unbearable over here and I sure do miss the rain! In memory of those wetter, cooler times, let’s make some literary rainbows together!

Challenge Dates: Kick-off is now with no defined end date

Challenge Goal: Complete as many reading rainbows as you can!

Challenge Details:
- Reading Rainbow Cover Challenge: Read books with completely or predominantly colored covers that correspond to the rainbow layer on which you are focusing. Example:
The Rosie Project (Don Tillman, #1) by Graeme Simsion Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) by Christopher Paolini Evermore (The Immortals, #1) by Alyson Noel

- Reading Rainbow Title Challenge: Read books with title that contain the color corresponding to the rainbow layer on which you are focusing. Example:
Red Queen
A Clockwork Orange
Yellow Crocus
Anne of Green Gables
A Spool of Blue Thread
The Color Purple

Potential FAQs:
1. Does my rainbow need to be made in the correct color order?
Yes, but you can take breaks from this challenge! So, let’s say you read a Red book, but want to read a non-Orange book next, you will not lose your progress. Simply pick up with the Orange book when you are ready to continue the challenge.

2. Do I need to do both the Cover and the Title Challenges?
No! You can do one or the other or both! It is entirely up to you. However, you cannot mix your rainbows -- I.e. you cannot read a book with a predominately red cover and a book with the word “orange” in its title and have them count towards the same rainbow.

3. What is the proper rainbow color order anyway?
In order to keep this challenge pretty straight forward, the colors will be --
red, orange, yellow, green, blue (or indigo) and purple (or violet)!

Challenge Points:
Finish a color book: 7 POINTS
Complete a whole rainbow: 14 POINTS

Comment on this thread to earn points! Please include the name of the novel you completed and and indicate whether it corresponds to the cover or the title rainbow!

HAPPY READING!

message 2: by Sam | The Dust Bunny Reader, Headmistress (new)

FYI --
Books tied to other group activities can count towards the Rainbow Challenge. For example, let's say you read Watership Down, which has a primarily yellow cover. If you had already completed your 'Red' and 'Orange' rainbow slots, you would have received 7 points for finishing the 'Yellow' slot + 10 points for finishing your 'Going on a Journey' read.

message 3: by Wonkybadonk (new)

Wonkybadonk | 33 comments I read a red cover book!
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Norris I just finished Red Lily by Nora Roberts :)

message 5: by Sam | The Dust Bunny Reader, Headmistress (new)

Awesome job, @Elizabeth!

@Zech finished his orange slice of the rainbow
Foundation (Foundation #1) by Isaac Asimov

7 points for the two of you!

message 6: by Sam | The Dust Bunny Reader, Headmistress (new)

Finished my Red cover book, finally! Love Poe!
Terrifying Tales by Edgar Allan Poe

message 7: by Wonkybadonk (new)

Wonkybadonk | 33 comments I read a yellow cover book!
Second Foundation (Foundation #3) by Isaac Asimov

message 8: by Sam | The Dust Bunny Reader, Headmistress (new)

This challenge is still active! :) Please be sure to update your rainbows! Points will go towards 2018!

message 9: by Sam | The Dust Bunny Reader, Headmistress (new)

Orange sliver COMPLETE!

More Than You Can Chew by Marnelle Tokio

message 10: by Allie (new)

Allie Will we be doing this again in 2018?

message 11: by Sam | The Dust Bunny Reader, Headmistress (new)

Yes! We are simply going to continue this challenge, rather than kick it off again. :) Red cover color or "Red" in the title will get you your first slice of the rainbow!

message 12: by Sam | The Dust Bunny Reader, Headmistress (new)

Finished my yellow sliver! The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

Terrifying Tales by Edgar Allan Poe More Than You Can Chew by Marnelle Tokio The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

This was a weird book, but I am glad I finally read it. I was always terrified by the movie and the book is just as strange and dark.

message 13: by Sam | The Dust Bunny Reader, Headmistress (new)

Finished reading the green sliver! Mossflower by Brian Jacques

Terrifying Tales by Edgar Allan Poe More Than You Can Chew by Marnelle Tokio The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
Mossflower (Redwall, #2) by Brian Jacques

This was a cute little book. I am not usually the biggest fan of books about animals, but this series is well-written and I am enjoying it!

message 14: by Allie (last edited Feb 11, 2018 01:05PM) (new)

Allie Think I’m going to try both titles and covers:

Red - The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) by Agatha Christie 2/9/18
Orange - James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl 2/11/18
Yellow - The Girl with All the Gifts (The Hungry Plague, #1) by M.R. Carey 2/11/18
Green -
Blue -
Purple -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Red -
Orange -
Yellow -
Green -
Blue -
Purple -

message 15: by Sam | The Dust Bunny Reader, Headmistress (new)

YAY!! :)

Finished the blue sliver today. Everything All at Once by Katrina Leno

Mossflower (Redwall, #2) by Brian Jacques Everything All at Once by Katrina Leno

Picked this one up randomly at the library and so glad I did! I was able to predict the ending, but it did not bother me. I loved the family in this book and am glad to see a sweet, close family in YA.

message 16: by Anne (new)

Anne Vivliohomme (annevivliohomme) Hiya!
I completely forgot about this challenge for a sec! I'm currently reading The Power by Naomi Alderman and guess what: the cover is red! Well, it's kinda red, with a bit white and black. I'm on my phone right now so I can't add a picture, but I hope that this book still counts?

message 17: by Anne (new)

Anne Vivliohomme (annevivliohomme) Anne wrote: "Hiya!
I completely forgot about this challenge for a sec! I'm currently reading The Power by Naomi Alderman and guess what: the cover is red! Well, it's kinda red, with a bit white and black. I'm o..."

So I'm on the site now so I can add the cover! Here it is! The Power by Naomi Alderman

message 18: by Sam | The Dust Bunny Reader, Headmistress (new)

THAT TOTALLY COUNTS! :D Heck yes! Did you like the book?

message 19: by Anne (new)

Anne Vivliohomme (annevivliohomme) Yes! I liked it! The idea of girls having the power to inflict pain with less than a snap of their fingers is so strange and it maked me wonder what would happen if something like that really happens! It changed my view of society and that's quite a powerful (see what I did there) thing that a book can do!

message 20: by Allie (last edited Feb 09, 2018 11:49PM) (new)

Allie Read my first book for this challenge in the cover part: The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) by Agatha Christie 2/9/18.

Ugh. I know Christie was a huge pioneer and the original OG but gosh, I’m over it. It seems like the tag team of one or more accomplices plays out in every book. Of course know one knows for certain who did it! Because at one point or another, they all did it! And I’m especially over that little weirdo Belgian. He can be wrong a million times throughout the book and then bam! At the end of the book he knew who was who the whole time, he was just testing you. ***yawn***

I’d give all AG’s books 1 star if it weren’t for the fact that all are set in early(ish) 20th century England. I love the language of “out strolling the grounds before tea” or “going up to dress for dinner”.

message 21: by Allie (new)

Allie Read my second book for the cover challenge: James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl 2/11/18.

I had to have read all of Roald Dahl’s books during my childhood, right? Because I know these stories...

Listened to the audio (which was fantastic and super short so if you’re looking for a quick audio, get this one). The narrator was absolutely fantastic with a different voice for every character. Highly recommended!!

(Although I’m pretty sure I heard a few naughty words in there...)

message 22: by Allie (last edited Feb 11, 2018 01:05PM) (new)

Allie Read my third book for the cover challenge: The Girl with All the Gifts (The Hungry Plague, #1) by M.R. Carey 2/11/18.

Not really sure how I feel about this one. I guess I liked it, although the middle sagged and it’s 400 pages could have been trimmed down. Didn’t care for any of the characters though (not even the “good ones”) except for the MC and that wasn’t until about halfway thru. And the then ending came and I kind of just went “huh” and closed the book. Maybe I didn’t like it... :D

It wasn’t everything everyone claimed it to be. But I usually find it to be that way with the hyped up books.

Two and a half stars rounded up to three :/