Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Help becoming a Goodreads librarian

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abel (new)

Abel (wikified) | 16 comments Any advice on how to become a Goodreads Librarian? Are there any lists of books that need to be added?

I also read/write Amharic if that is an area that needs improvement.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4418 comments Abel wrote: "Any advice on how to become a Goodreads Librarian? Are there any lists of books that need to be added?

I also read/write Amharic if that is an area that needs improvement."

Have you applied?

If not, the application link is in the Librarians'Manual https://www.goodreads.com/help/librarian

We have been told that the reasons you give for wanting to be a librarian are very important, so fill out that section very carefully.

& mention the languages you speak.

Good luck! :)

message 3: by Abel (new)

Abel (wikified) | 16 comments I did apply about a week or two ago. Should I wait a bit longer before applying again?

message 4: by Abel (new)

Abel (wikified) | 16 comments I have not added any books yet. I cannot seem to find any books that are not already added. My interest is in correcting book entries already added

message 5: by Abel (new)

Abel (wikified) | 16 comments Nevermind, I think I have found a way to demonstrate my potential contribution. I am going to start adding Ethiopian/Amharic books.

message 6: by Abel (new)

Abel (wikified) | 16 comments Should an Author's name be left in the non-Roman alphabet or should I use the Romanized version of the name: https://www.amazon.com/Lesuma-others-...

ሰላም በሰላም or Selam Beselam?

message 7: by Ajda (new)

Ajda | 86 comments hi,

before you start adding any of the books read the instructions.
At the beginning it seems to be very easy. But after working for some time you will find out that it is not so easy to do everything the right way and not to produce a mass :)

https://www.goodreads.com/help/librarian

There also different groups where you can jon and learn.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/220

If you are not sure about something - ask for help!!

enjoy the page!

message 8: by Abel (new)

Abel (wikified) | 16 comments I am trying to be very careful. The instruction on author names are not very clear. Should I use "ሰላም በሰላም" or the Romanized name "Selam Beselam"

message 10: by Abel (new)

Abel (wikified) | 16 comments All of the authors I will be working on only publish in Amharic which uses Ge'ez script: ሀለሐመሠረሰ

message 11: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments if none of the books have been translated into a roman language then use the original language, if they have been translated in to English or other Roman lanugage then the primary should be the roman language

message 12: by Abel (new)

Abel (wikified) | 16 comments Thank you

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6162 comments hope you've mentioned your language skills in amharic in your application? (some users forgot mentioning language skills and were declined at first attempt and got the status as they mentioned their language skills in a later attempt)

message 14: by Zoey (new)

Zoey  (rozannen) | 146 comments Abel, where it says you need to add 50 books, that means you need to have at least 50 books on your profile (books you have read or want to read), not necessarily 50 new books that aren't already in the system. I notice you only have 25 (2 currently reading & 23 to-read) at the moment, so you will need to find more books (already in the system) that you have read or want to read and add them to your profile before reapplying to be a librarian and yes definitely mention your language skills. Good Luck :)

message 15: by Abel (new)

Abel (wikified) | 16 comments WOW! Totally misunderstood that! I did not think that was important.

message 16: by lethe (last edited Jul 16, 2017 02:42AM) (new)

lethe | 13560 comments Margot wrote: "How long does it take for a request to become a librarian will be handled? I can't currently apply for a second time; goodreads still says 'you have already applied'."

We can only talk from personal experience, as we have no insight into how much backlog staff has.

I'd say up to two weeks. If it says you have already applied, it means they have not handled your request yet. If you had been rejected, you would be able to apply again.

message 17: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 20 comments I know as of 2013 Goodreads had 20 million members.

How long does it take for someone to be approved as a librarian usually.

message 18: by Heidi (last edited Aug 12, 2017 05:30AM) (new)

Heidi | 20 comments Referencing the above, I applied to be a librarian about 1 1/2 months ago and I haven't heard anything back yet.