Our Shared Shelf discussion

Miscellaneous > Manchester; 22 May 2017; In Sympathy and Solidarity

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilya108) | 5 comments I can never understand how a person chooses the thought of harming so many people.

I agree. We have to stand united and comfort and support one another.

We have to live in the moment and act as a civil community who only look for the best in every situation.

As I always say; positive perspectives only.

message 2: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Jo (jo_9) | 373 comments Mod
I'm finding this attack particularly difficult. Not just because I live in the UK, but mainly because the attack was aimed at children and young teenagers. It makes me feel sick. what kind of twisted and f****d up individual would target kids?!
That 8 year old girl's face in particular got to me, she is just so young and innocent.

message 3: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments intersectional means inclusive the only people responsible for these acts are the ones that commit them.

Let's remember the good people going towards the incident offering help in any way they can these are the people far out number the broken Individuals that commit or incite such hate against the innocent.

message 4: by Winston (new)

Winston | 180 comments Jo wrote: "I'm finding this attack particularly difficult. Not just because I live in the UK, but mainly because the attack was aimed at children and young teenagers. It makes me feel sick. what kind of twist..."

Depressingly, all the time.

2014 that mass murder in Pakistan.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/16/world/a...
Boko Haram kidnapping the school girls, but literally everything they do is horrendous.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chibok_...

Child soldiers, particularly in Rwanda/Congo. e.g. Kony 2012

Not to mention, Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech

Children are often used a victims in global conflicts, throughout history.

message 5: by Gerd (new)

Gerd | 428 comments It's terrifying, and I can't even begin to imagine how horrific ist must be to lose a child to such a sensless act of cowardice.

My heart goes out to the victims, their families and friends.

message 6: by Keltoum (new)

Keltoum (keltmerr) | 14 comments I remember the night of the 13th of november 2015 when we had this horrible terrorist attack that caused the death of 130 people and more than 400 injured all over Paris, it shocked us and frightened us. These attacks also caused the growth of racism in my country and put Marine Lepen in the second round of the French presidential election. But the thing is, the moment we allowed ourselves to fall into hatred and despair, the crazy men who did that, won. Because it's their purpose, it's what they seek: chaos.
I'm so deeply sorry for the people of Manchester who are suffering because of that coward act. They attacked us, all of us, our youth, our freedom but the only way to fight these psychopaths back, is to live and love even more. It may sound stupid but as we've experienced it, it's what they're afraid of.
Thanks for the link of the Book of Condolences.

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma | 9 comments I lost a friend of nearly 20 years in the Tunisia attack and there is no explaining how hard it will be for the families and friends of the victims. My heart goes out to them.

The age of the victims makes this attach so hard to comprehend, to attach children and young people is so heartless, so senseless. There is no denying that, but you have to commend the way to local community banded together to do all they could.

The amount of people offering free transport and opening their homes was commendable, they met an act of hate with so much love, kindness and understanding. It is just a tragedy that this attack happened.

message 8: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
In my workplace we have flags that were hanging low for all of yesterday because of the attack. Every now and then I would look at them out of the window and I would feel sick to my stomach.
If we were to keep flags low for every act of violence in this sick, wicked world we live in, we would never raise them again.
Please do not get me wrong, as I do not wish to enter that damn game of measuring and assessing whose pain and blood are worth our sympathy. Rather, I just reflected on our current world. The way our societies are ridden with fear, hatred and harmful, wrong pride in ideas that are now long outdated, if they ever were valid.
If history is indeed a pendulum, I wonder whether ours is a moment forward or backwards.

message 9: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1091 comments Mod
The resiliency of the Manchester community brings tears to my eyes.

Thank you for creating this thread Keith and for allowing the global community to join the UK in expressing our sympathy and sharing our strength.

message 10: by Rumell (new)

Rumell Khan (rkrespectedmember) I am from Manchester. My friend Nicole was in that concert. I am glad she has survived.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

@Emma: sadly, it happens everyday, everywhere... :(