Modern Tales of Na Fianna Read Along discussion

14 views
Introduction/ Introduce Yourself (All Members Go Here First!)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hazel (new)

Hazel West | 97 comments Mod
(Please read First)

Hey everyone!
So, first off, thanks for joining in the Blood Ties Group Readalong! I've been thinking about setting this up for a while, and if it goes well and you guys enjoy it, we may be doing more in the future.

So this is the first book in my Modern Tales of Na Fianna Series (the third of which will be out this August!) and it's all about Irish folklore, faery lore, brotherhood, and modern warriors, and obviously is based off of the stories of Na Fianna like Fionn Mac Cool and all that.

Now, a little about how this group is set up:

I'm going to be setting discussion topics up by week (i.e. Week One topic will be for discussing chapter 1-10 and so on) Since this is a group read, we'll be reading a set amount of chapters per week so everyone can have a chance to keep up and join in the discussions. No skipping ahead! The "Weekly" discussion topics will be for discussing the book as we go.

I will also be making a couple auxiliary topics, such as one of Irish mythology and folklore in general for those who are interested in that.

I will also have an official "Ask the Author" topic where you can personally ask me anything you want (it doesn't even have to be about Blood Ties in particular)

And a Fanart topic. I will be hosting "Fanart Fridays" where I will get suggestions from you guys throughout the week on scenes or characters from that week's reading that you may like to see, and I will pick my favorites and do some art. I highly encourage any other artists out there to join in, in whatever medium you like best, whether it's traditional art, digital, crafty things, or even cosplay go wild!

There will also be a Twitter topic where anyone interested in following the read along on Twitter can post their Twitter handle so I can follow them. There will also be the read along hashtags that you can use.

That's pretty much it! Now, just give me a wee introduction here so everyone can get to know you :)


message 2: by Abigail H. (last edited May 22, 2017 08:38PM) (new)

Abigail H. Leskey (runeknitter) | 24 comments I'm Abigail Leskey; I read and write and make fanart (usually of Loki). My own dear grandmother was of Irish ancestry, and I love legends, so I delight in the Na Fianna books.

I need to start beta-reading the third, have started re-reading the second, and now have signed up to re-read the first!


message 3: by Hazel (new)

Hazel West | 97 comments Mod
Abigail H. wrote: "I'm Abigail Leskey; I read and write and make fanart (usually of Loki). My own dear grandmother was Irish, and I love legends, so I delight in the Na Fianna books.

I need to start beta-reading th..."


Glad you joined ;) You'll have to let me know what reading them backwards is like :P


message 4: by Abigail H. (new)

Abigail H. Leskey (runeknitter) | 24 comments Hazel wrote: "Abigail H. wrote: "I'm Abigail Leskey; I read and write and make fanart (usually of Loki). My own dear grandmother was Irish, and I love legends, so I delight in the Na Fianna books.

I need to st..."


Right-o ;P


message 5: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Leskey (reconditestaff) | 8 comments My good self is Joseph Leskey and hopefully it's an equally good idea for me to be here. At this moment at two in the night, I am an author who really wishes to try his hand at digital artistry.

The Modern Tales of Na Fianna has to be my favorite series. If not, then I'll probably next find out that I'm a koala sunbathing on Neptune. And I must note that I am thoroughly fond of urban fantasy and all that Irish stuff.

So, here am I, for better or worse, good or ill, and all those antonyms which are appropriate for such things.


message 6: by Hazel (new)

Hazel West | 97 comments Mod
Joseph wrote: "My good self is Joseph Leskey and hopefully it's an equally good idea for me to be here. At this moment at two in the night, I am an author who really wishes to try his hand at digital artistry.

T..."


Glad to have you, Joseph :)


message 7: by Hazel (new)

Hazel West | 97 comments Mod
Amanda wrote: "Hi all,

I'll be traveling most of June, but I'll try to pop in when I can. I can provide moral support, at least. :-)

I beta-read this a while back, though I've been too busy and haven't gotten t..."


Hi, Amanda, glad you stopped by ;) You are definitely welcome to pop in and add to discussions whenever you wish!


message 8: by Claire (new)

Claire Banschbach | 6 comments Hi, I'm Claire! I actually read part of book 1 the other day, so I'm not sure how dedicated I'll be in following along (plus my June is super busy) but I'd love to discuss the books with other people, since I'm a complete fangirl for this series. :)


message 9: by Hazel (new)

Hazel West | 97 comments Mod
Claire wrote: "Hi, I'm Claire! I actually read part of book 1 the other day, so I'm not sure how dedicated I'll be in following along (plus my June is super busy) but I'd love to discuss the books with other peop..."

Hey Claire :) Definitely stop by anyway to join in all the discussions, I'd love to have you!


message 10: by Mara (new)

Mara (maraanne) | 3 comments Hellllooooooo! I'm Mara (of course, but then again, I could totally be lying). Been buds with this here crazy author for. . . .Good lord, how long has it been now, Hazel? 0_o Anyway, super looking forward to delving into "Blood Ties"! I've been excited for it ever since Hazel told me about the concept. Going to be so much fun reading and talking about it with y'all! Cheers!


message 11: by Hazel (new)

Hazel West | 97 comments Mod
Mara wrote: "Hellllooooooo! I'm Mara (of course, but then again, I could totally be lying). Been buds with this here crazy author for. . . .Good lord, how long has it been now, Hazel? 0_o Anyway, super looking ..."

What are you talking about, I don't know you… Just kidding :P
Looking forward to seeing what you think of it :)


message 12: by Deborah (new)

Deborah O'Carroll (deborahocarroll) | 35 comments Heya! So excited to be here! :D Loved Blood Ties and An Earthly King and am SUPER excited for book three to come out!!! (Seriously. Time. Hurry it up, won't you. *cough*)

I've been wanting to reread Blood Ties ever since I first FINISHED it, soooo this is the perfect excuse to do so. ;)

I do know June's going to be busy (welcome the club, apparently) but I will definitely do my best to keep up. :D Looking forward to the discussions etc.!

SO EXCITED!


message 13: by Hazel (new)

Hazel West | 97 comments Mod
Deborah wrote: "Heya! So excited to be here! :D Loved Blood Ties and An Earthly King and am SUPER excited for book three to come out!!! (Seriously. Time. Hurry it up, won't you. *cough*)

I've been wanting to rere..."


Glad you joined for a reread ;) The nice thing about it is even if you haven't quite kept up, you can still join in since you know the spoilers :P And since we're only reading a set amount of chapters per week, you could really read them all in a day you have time if you wanted :P


message 14: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (shelved) | 1 comments Ooh how I hate having to introduce myself to people! Well, hey there y'all! I'm Robyn!
Although I'm planning (you guessed it) a busy month of June like the rest of ya, I'm planning on having lots of time to read. Can't wait to dig into Blood Ties!! Pretty sure the biggest struggle will be to not read ahead! But I'll do my best...promise :)


message 15: by Hazel (new)

Hazel West | 97 comments Mod
Robyn wrote: "Ooh how I hate having to introduce myself to people! Well, hey there y'all! I'm Robyn!
Although I'm planning (you guessed it) a busy month of June like the rest of ya, I'm planning on having lots ..."


Glad to have you :) I guess June is a pretty busy month for us all :P


message 16: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 6 comments I'm Merenwen Inglorion, and I love to do what most of y'all do: read, write, try my hand at art (I tend to do faces well, but everything else...meh!), and things related to siblings. :D

I caught sight of this group in my update feed, and leapt at the excuse to reread Blood Ties. I know for sure that I'll be able to keep up with the reading; not so sure about the commenting. My siblings use the computer almost all day for their schooling, and then I have work...
But I'll be trying to post two days of the week, Tuesday and Thursday most likely. :)


message 17: by Hazel (new)

Hazel West | 97 comments Mod
Merenwen wrote: "I'm Merenwen Inglorion, and I love to do what most of y'all do: read, write, try my hand at art (I tend to do faces well, but everything else...meh!), and things related to siblings. :D

I caught s..."


Hi Merenwen, glad you joined :) Just drop by whenever you have the chance!


message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Rawls (erawls) | 3 comments Hello all! I know I'm very late to this party, but I'll join in on what I can. I love Ireland and mythology, and pretty much any story that's based on old legends. I've only just started reading Blood Ties and am really enjoying it! I look forward to browsing through the topic folders with you all, and seeing the fan art! :)


message 19: by Hazel (new)

Hazel West | 97 comments Mod
Elizabeth wrote: "Hello all! I know I'm very late to this party, but I'll join in on what I can. I love Ireland and mythology, and pretty much any story that's based on old legends. I've only just started reading Bl..."

We've still got time ;) Glad you joined in!


message 20: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Rodda (rjrodda) | 9 comments Hi I find these books fun! Have been twittering about them. Check out my tweets at @RebRod40


message 21: by Hazel (new)

Hazel West | 97 comments Mod
Hi Rebekah! I'm glad you've been enjoying the readalongs! I will check out your twitter too :)


back to top