UK Book Club discussion

Your Reading Experience > Book Swapping

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Zoe (zobo77) | 532 comments Mod
There is a poll about book swapping and so I thought that I would create this topic to let people explain their answers a bit more. If you swap books, which websites do you use (if you use a website at all) and do you find it useful?

I use readitswapit.co.uk and find I end up with far too many books to read but I enjoy doing it and like to have a large choice of books when I choose my next book. My public profile for readitswapit is http://www.readitswapit.co.uk/UserPro...

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo I use readitswapit but i only swap books that arent my favourites but i voted yes swap online

message 3: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I like to keep my favourites too! Only kept about 5 though

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo I keep more than that. I have a hard time letting go of my books

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo I just looked at your wishlist. I have 2 of the books but i havent read one (a certain age) and the other is one of my favourites so i cant let it go (perks of being a wallflower). You have a few i want aswell

message 6: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I'm guessing you're Mojo88? I'm just having a look at your list! I don't have many books left to swap anymore because when moving house I had to give them all to charity, and sold a few at a shop up the road that buys 2nd hand books :-)

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo I am yeah. No one seems to be interested in the books i listed lol I wish there was a shop near me that brought second hand books!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3622 comments I have 100's of books and I turned my dining room into a library! I keep lots of my books but those I do not want tend to go back to charity shops or get passed on to my sister and a few friends who read lots of books, I shall have to check out readitswapit!

message 9: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I'd love to have a library at home! I have about 80 books on my 'to be read' shelf though, so I'm on my way :D

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo I would too. A whole wall of books would be amazing :)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3622 comments I have over 500! All listed on goodreads apart from the ones on my Sony reader and the DS Lite Classics I have and some that are not in print anymore! So could be nearer 800!

message 12: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I can't really keep that many books at the moment - I'm at uni and so have to keep moving house and books make it inconvenient :(

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 596 comments Zoe wrote: "I can't really keep that many books at the moment - I'm at uni and so have to keep moving house and books make it inconvenient :("

I had that problem when I was in uni but I tended to still buy books and once I'd read them a few times would take them home and use my old bedroom as a library so I didn't have too many when it came to moving around. I still do the same now as I only rent a flat and don't have a huge amount of book space so my room at home looks like a library with a bed in it lol :-)

message 14: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Haha, that's a good idea! My family all moved house though so I don't have a room anymore :(

message 15: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (Trillianne) | 59 comments I have shelves full and read them all, those that are still to be read are in a box in the lounge or on disk.
I would love to swap some but the button doesn't work in the UK on here. I would love a room in the house that I could just turn into my own personal library.

message 16: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments Lol! Right now my books all packed in packes ready for our move to england Yippeee. I know once I get back home my uncle has a box(s) full for me to add to my collection hmmmmm! I think I'll need more book case, I think it will be better once I get my ereader lol.

message 17: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Kimberley wrote: "I have shelves full and read them all, those that are still to be read are in a box in the lounge or on disk.
I would love to swap some but the button doesn't work in the UK on here. I would love ..."

I would love a room for my library too, then I wouldn't have to (after much begging and bribary from my husband) have a sort through and charity shop or permanantly lend some books out to friends/family. Will need to move house first though.

message 18: by Lea (new)

Lea | 18 comments Nick wrote: "Lol! Right now my books all packed in packes ready for our move to england Yippeee. I know once I get back home my uncle has a box(s) full for me to add to my collection hmmmmm! I think I'll need m..."

HI Nick! funny, I also have many books in boxes, but they are momentarily in Glasgow in storage. We are bridging in Manchester (UK) and as soon as we decide where we will put our feet up, we will get the books. I am really looking forward to e
it as I miss some books that are on my to-read shelf.

message 19: by Jane (new)

Jane (hippygoth66) Luckily my husband is as bigger a book lover as me so understands my reluctance to let to let go of any of my books. The drawback is he is also a hoarder and we are fast running out of space. There isn't a room without books apart from the kitchen and the bathroom, which both don't have any wall space for a shelf.

message 20: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Atkinson (totesmarisa) Is ReaditSwapIt only open to UK residents?

message 21: by Jirinka (sony08) (new)

Jirinka (sony08) (sony08) Marisa wrote: "Is ReaditSwapIt only open to UK residents?"

Yes it is. If you want something international you can try Bookmooch - it's point system though - not a straight swap.

message 22: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments ReaditSwapIt sounds intersting I'll need to check it out at some time, although I have to admit I only tend to buy books I really want to read and as a consequence keep. Anything I'm dubious about I borrrow from the library. That's the good thing about GRss it tends to sharpen your honing skills.

message 23: by Robo (new)

Robo Pete (robopete) | 98 comments I had a friend at my old job who was an avid user of ReadItSwapIt and I always liked the idea - I'm attracted to the community aspect of circulating and sharing books that way.
Unfortunately I'm both a hoarder and extremely possessive of my books - I always feel that I've formed a relationship somehow with the physical book itself and am therefore extremely reluctant to give it up.

SJH (A Dream of Books) | 3 comments I use ReaditSwapIt through which I have got loads of books on my wishlist and passed on ones which haven't gone straight on my keepers shelf. It's a fantastic site.

message 25: by Jo (new)

Jo I recently started using book mooch but i can't find many books that i actually want on there. I've added loads to my wishlist but they are all unavailable. I like the system though because on readitswapit you have to have something someone wants that has something you want. If that made any sense at all!

message 26: by Jo (new)

Jo I will have to wait a bit then. Do they email you when a wishlist book comes in? Luckily i spend a lot of time on the net!

message 27: by Jo (new)

Jo Ooo how do you do that? I don't remember seeing anything like that.

message 28: by Jo (new)

Jo Thanks! I went there and the box was already ticked. Looking forward to some good books coming in!

SJH (A Dream of Books) | 3 comments I use bookmooch too and have got loads of books I've wanted through the site. You do have to be patient...and quick!! It's worth checking the site daily if you have time.

message 30: by Jo (new)

Jo Where do you check? The recently added books section?