Book Chat discussion

Book Related Banter > Pillows for reading in bed?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurie (new)

Laurie  (laugal) | 130 comments I have a difficult time some nights getting comfortable in bed to read.Some nights I just get it right the first try and others it is a nightmare to get comfortable. Does anyone use any of the adjustable wedge pillows or the large pillow with arms?? I've been looking at the adjustable foam pillow, not sure how it would work. Just looking for the some ideas.

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1117 comments Mod
I would love an idea to making reading in bed easier. We don't have a headboard, so that poses an additional challenge, as there's nothing to sit-up against.

message 3: by Laurie (new)

Laurie  (laugal) | 130 comments I do not have a headboard either. I use extra sham pillows against the wall and then my regular pillows against my back,just doesn't do it some nights.I am glad I am not the only one! Honestly some nights if the book is a lightweight book, I lay flat and hold the book up in the air,arms outstretched.That doesn't last long tho!

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

Our platform bed is placed with the large floor-to-ceiling window as the "backdrop" ... and about 18 inches away from the wall (blessed with a huge master bedroom).

Makes it easy to make the bed, as you can walk all the way around it, but no way to "lean" up against anything!

message 5: by Laurie (new)

Laurie  (laugal) | 130 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Our platform bed is placed with the large floor-to-ceiling window as the "backdrop" ... and about 18 inches away from the wall (blessed with a huge master bedroom).

Makes it easy to make the bed, ..."

ahhh, now I understand. I am tempted to try one of those large sit up pillows with the arms,but then I have to find a storage place for it when not in use.With all of us bookreaders, ya think we could come up with something.

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 1061 comments Mod
Laurie wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Our platform bed is placed with the large floor-to-ceiling window as the "backdrop" ... and about 18 inches away from the wall (blessed with a huge master bedroom).

Makes it..."

I had one w/ the arms, I got rid of it, for having no place to put it when I slept... but now I need more support, so I'm thinking of getting another...

Sometimes I use one of them neck donuts, as my neck gets sore from looking down too much when reading

message 7: by Laurie (new)

Laurie  (laugal) | 130 comments I have the same issue,where do I store the pillow with arms.That is why I hve not bought it yet.May have to try tho.

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Kimberly wrote: "Sometimes I use one of them neck donuts, as my neck gets sore from looking down too much when reading..."

I use one of those, too! If I'm sitting in a chair, I sometimes wear it "backwards" ... the curve UNDER my chin .... keeps me from bending forward too far for a sustained period. Of course, that means I have to hold the book UP . Who knew reading could be so physical?!

message 9: by Kimberly (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Sometimes I use one of them neck donuts, as my neck gets sore from looking down too much when reading..."

I use one of those, too! If I'm sitting in a chair, I sometimes wear it "..."

Dang: GREAT Idea!

message 10: by Laurie (new)

Laurie  (laugal) | 130 comments Great idea.I love the neck pillow under the chin.That would be great for my bad back! Never thought of it!

message 11: by Kimberly (new)

I just ordered a bed pillow from Kohls? Might have been Target, I'll let you know.

message 12: by Tri (new)

Tri Guy Hello all,

I am new to the group and this is the first topic that caught my eye. Very intriguing and I haven't seen anyone talk about it at all. This is something I have been looking into and I am asking the wife for a couple things this Christmas. Getting comfortable in bed to read seems to be a common woe for a lot of people.

message 13: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dlopezgirl83) This may be completely and utterly weird but I lay on my side to read. If I'm in the bed for a long time I tend to use a bunch of pillows and one on my lap to prop book up, but if I'm trying to fall asleep, I read on my side.

message 14: by Laurie (new)

Laurie  (laugal) | 130 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Sometimes I use one of them neck donuts, as my neck gets sore from looking down too much when reading..."

I use one of those, too! If I'm sitting in a chair, I sometimes wear it "..."

Great idea!!!!!!

message 15: by Laurie (new)

Laurie  (laugal) | 130 comments David wrote: "Hello all,

I am new to the group and this is the first topic that caught my eye. Very intriguing and I haven't seen anyone talk about it at all. This is something I have been looking into and I am..."

I am happy to know I am not alone. Hope you get your Christmas wish.

message 16: by Laurie (new)

Laurie  (laugal) | 130 comments Dawn wrote: "This may be completely and utterly weird but I lay on my side to read. If I'm in the bed for a long time I tend to use a bunch of pillows and one on my lap to prop book up, but if I'm trying to fal..."

I used to be able to do this when I was younger and free of back issues.I have tried but just can't do it.I always enjoyed reading a book in bed or at the beach this way!!!!

message 17: by Kimberly (new)

I bought this one:

https://www.target.com/p/dark-night-b...

Sorry I can not post a photo... but this had the best reviews and it was one of the tallest, so I figured it would support my back better.

I like it!

message 18: by Laurie (new)

Laurie  (laugal) | 130 comments Kimberly wrote: "I bought this one:

https://www.target.com/p/dark-night-b...

Sorry I can not post a photo... but this h..."

I just looked at the link.I may have to try this one.I still don't know where I will keep it when not in use,but it looks less bulky than the others.Thanks!

message 19: by Laurie (last edited Jan 08, 2018 02:34PM) (new)

Laurie  (laugal) | 130 comments I saw a Brookstone Nap rest pillow over the weekend on evine shopping channel. It was grey,it had pockets on both sides as well as a cup holder! The back part folds down for storage,so it fits next to bed,etc.It was on sale for $59. http://www.evine.com/Product/473-384. Check it out!!!!

message 20: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dlopezgirl83) So has anyone tried the Brookstone pillow? saw it on QVC and almost hit the buy button. It looks great. Also saw this online and it's funny but may also work???? Lay flat reading glasses

https://www.amazon.com/Flammi-Glasses...

message 21: by Laurie (new)

Laurie  (laugal) | 130 comments Dawn wrote: "So has anyone tried the Brookstone pillow? saw it on QVC and almost hit the buy button. It looks great. Also saw this online and it's funny but may also work???? Lay flat reading glasses

https://w..."

I didn't know QVC had it. I think I am going to try this one.Just the fact it folds up has me sold.

message 22: by Kimberly (new)

Dang, that looks good.... I wouldn't have to reach so far (fear of falling off the bed) for my tequila!

message 23: by Laurie (new)

Laurie  (laugal) | 130 comments Kimberly wrote: "Dang, that looks good.... I wouldn't have to reach so far (fear of falling off the bed) for my tequila!"
I like the way you think!!!! :)

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 3 comments Dawn wrote: "This may be completely and utterly weird but I lay on my side to read. If I'm in the bed for a long time I tend to use a bunch of pillows and one on my lap to prop book up, but if I'm trying to fal..."

I read on my side all the time in bed. Even though I have neck pain and just recently started having lower back pain, it really is still the most comfortable position for me to read in bed.

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 3 comments Dawn wrote: "So has anyone tried the Brookstone pillow? saw it on QVC and almost hit the buy button. It looks great. Also saw this online and it's funny but may also work???? Lay flat reading glasses

https://w..."

Dawn, I have the prism glasses. I can only use them for a brief amount of time because they bother my eyes after awhile. Kind of like how 3D glasses bother some people after a short time.

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 3 comments I use just a plain bed wedge pillow to lay on my back with my upper body raised because of the wedge pillow. I have a hands-free book stand that straddles my body so I can rest my arms. I've had it for years and don't remember what site I got it from and can no longer find it online.

Otherwise I just read while lying on my side.

message 27: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dlopezgirl83) Tessa (FutureAuthor23) wrote: "I use just a plain bed wedge pillow to lay on my back with my upper body raised because of the wedge pillow. I have a hands-free book stand that straddles my body so I can rest my arms. I've had it..."

thanks. that hands free book stand sounds interesting.