Chaotic Minds discussion

Alice (The Chronicles of Alice, #1)
This topic is about Alice
Books We're Reading > Introducing Alice

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Olivia (last edited May 22, 2017 08:48AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Olivia Camp (olivia_camp) | 7 comments Hey Everyone!

Nina and I have decided on a book to start reading together that gives us those chaotic mind vibes. We're going to be reading a book called Alice that is inspired by the classic works of Lewis Carroll. We'd love to have you all join us in reading this book!! We will begin reading it next Monday (5/29) so you have some time to buy/rent it if you want to join us. We will also be posting discussions as we go and of course making sure we add in spoiler tags if you're not up to date. We're very much looking forward to starting this book and hope you join us in reading it!!! Below is the book description...

A mind-bending new novel inspired by the twisted and wondrous works of Lewis Carroll...

In a warren of crumbling buildings and desperate people called the Old City, there stands a hospital with cinderblock walls which echo the screams of the poor souls inside.

In the hospital, there is a woman. Her hair, once blond, hangs in tangles down her back. She doesn’t remember why she’s in such a terrible place. Just a tea party long ago, and long ears, and blood…

Then, one night, a fire at the hospital gives the woman a chance to escape, tumbling out of the hole that imprisoned her, leaving her free to uncover the truth about what happened to her all those years ago.

Only something else has escaped with her. Something dark. Something powerful.

And to find the truth, she will have to track this beast to the very heart of the Old City, where the rabbit waits for his Alice.

Let us know if you'll be joining us!!

- Liv

Alice

Whitney Hodgen | 4 comments I'm in! I'm scared just reading the description :)

Olivia Camp (olivia_camp) | 7 comments Whitney wrote: "I'm in! I'm scared just reading the description :)"

yes!! i'm excited!

message 4: by David (new)

David White | 7 comments I'll have to check it out at a later time but I'm definitely intrigued. Just finished Name of the Wind. Interesting book and I suggest it if anyone is into the fantasy genre.

Nina CW | 12 comments Okay, so what did you guys think?

Did you think this book contrasted well with the original Alice and Wonderland? Were there enough similarities? Too many?

How about the use of magic in the book?

Did you find it to be a good mix of chaos and confusion? Or was it too MAD for you?

Whitney Hodgen | 4 comments Ok. So I didn't think this book was mad so much as it was dark. I don't know what I was expecting, but I certainly wasn't expecting such in your face physical and sexual violence against women.

As terrible as that is, I liked the book for the most part because it was suspenseful and kept my attention. I honestly wasn't able to put it down. I didn't find it to be all that similar to the original story though. To me, the original Alice in Wonderland was more twisted in an insane sort of way, where as this book was twisted in an "I can't believe the horror" kind of way.

The author, in my opinion, could have done a better job of using magic in the book. It felt like it was talked about the whole time, but never really developed. Alice went from doubting she was a Magician to believing it in no time. It felt like there wasn't a whole lot of explanation as to what that even means or what it looks like.

I also found the ending completely anticlimactic. I think that might be the thing that bothers me the most. There's so much back and forth about finding the Jabberwock and Alice having the opportunity to face the Rabbit, but the resolution of both of those conflicts was not at all interesting to me.

Overall all though, it was a good read. I'm interested in more conversation about it though. I want to know what everyone else thought!