Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

General Chat > What is good and bad with your e-reader?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited May 22, 2017 12:55AM) (new)

David Gooch | 3958 comments Mod
I got to thinking as we may all have different ones or even the same. So what is good and bad about your e-reader?
That will give us all an idea if we are thinking of buying one or even changing.

message 2: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments I am happy with my hudl it is my lack of expertise that prevents me from using it to it's full potential. It is great to know that I have 100,s of books at my fingertips.

message 3: by David (last edited May 22, 2017 08:41AM) (new)

I have 2, a kindle fire HD and a kindle paperweight.

I will start with the Paperweight
Good
It has no back light built in so when reading at night I need the bedroom light on so annoying to partners.
It has anti glare so is readable in direct sunlight.
Good facility to alter font size to larger to suit if required.
Quick download of books from Amazon.
Vast storage for books , not quite sure how many but it is a lot.

Bad
Not as easy to load on e-books that aren't from Amazon.
I would prefer an easier way to file the books that suits me. At moment they are shown in date downloaded order. You can switch it to author etc. But to set up files for books and file them is, for me, not as easy as it could be.
Black & White and never shows book cover. It just shows book title and author which is ok but nice sometimes to see the cover (maybe I'm old fashioned, who knows.)

message 4: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Prescott (victoria_prescott) | 21 comments I have a Kindle Fire.

The only downside is that it's very difficult, if not impossible, to read in direct sunlight. Increasing the screen brightness sometimes helps, but not in very bright sunlight. I don't like to sit in the sun for too long, so it's not too much of a problem for me, but might be for others.
It also has a much shorter battery life than the other Kindle types, but it will last for a day out and about if all I'm doing is reading.

Plus points are that it has full internet capability, so as long as I'm somewhere that has wifi, I can use it as a tablet.
I can download books in a variety of formats from a variety of sources.
I can also upload documents from my own computer.
It has colour, which is a benefit when looking at book covers, illustrations, etc.
Plus it does everything a tablet does - games (that's what eats the battery) store photos, and so on.

message 5: by David (new)

Interesting Victoria as I have the Kindle Fire HD as my other reader.

For me:-
Good - Has a backlight so I can read in bed and my wife can have the light off. (stops the nagging which believe me is a bloody big plus). Can alter brightness as well but can with most e-readers.
It is a tablet as well so can use it for apps from kindle store or surfing the internet which means it has other uses rather than just a reader. As Victoria says it has colour which is good.

Bad - Amazon tie you in so most things have to be bought through them. You can get around it but it is not easy.
It puts everything you use/buy in a bar at the top which seems a good idea but it isn't it is annoying after a while.
Battery life is nowhere near as good as the paperweight even when just reading.
Very poor in direct sunlight.
Tablet side there is nowhere near as many apps for the kindle as say the Ipad or a google based tablet.

message 6: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Prescott (victoria_prescott) | 21 comments I download a lot of free, out of copyright books from sites such as Gutenberg and archive.org. Amazon doesn't get in the way of that.

I'm not that bothered about having apps. I have the Overdrive app for library books, a word processor app, Adobe Acrobat, calendar, calculator, some games, but I didn't buy it for apps. I wanted an e-reader that I could also load my own documents and photos on and use to access the internet, all of which it does just fine.

I've sometimes thought about getting a basic Kindle just for reading, as well as the Fire, but I'd probably still want to take the Fire with me when out for the day, and there's only so much one can carry!

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 173 comments Has anyone purchased the Kindle Voyage version? It is on sale today and I am considering it. My Kindle is a keyboard version I purchased in 2012, and it is still perfectly serviceable. However, my eyes are now 5 years older and I'm thinking that the improved lighting and pixel count might make it worth considering an upgrade. It is pricey, of course, and maybe a Paperwhite would suffice (it is also on sale today).

Thanks for any feedback!

message 8: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments I have just read my comment from a while back, I said that I was happy with my Hudl and indeed I am, but not as an e.reader, I am however happy with my Kobo Aura, it has a back light and is a slim size, and of course has a lot of lovely books.

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 173 comments You're the second person to recommend a Kobo to me JUST today. Probably because I'm asking everyone about their Kindle experiences. I have so many Kindle books, it would be painful to switch to an epub format at this stage.

message 10: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (ikklemo) | 17 comments I have a Kindle Paperwhite and love it

message 11: by Terri (new)

Terri | 2 comments I have a kindle fire hd 10, of which I am extremely fond. I don't understand why it is no longer on offer. Love the larger print which is helpful to my aging eyes. Just about any function on a regular tablet can be done on this kindle.

message 12: by David (new)

Terri wrote: "I have a kindle fire hd 10, of which I am extremely fond. I don't understand why it is no longer on offer. Love the larger print which is helpful to my aging eyes. Just about any function on a regu..."

The Fire HD 10 is still available according to Amazon. They updated all the fire tablets back in May except the 10. They may update that but as far as amazon are concerned it is still a part of their Fire tablet range.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/17/15...

message 13: by Steven (new)

Steven Moore I had a Kindle paper-white and bought a Fire. The latter is very slow as a tablet (what it's advertised as) but seems to be OK for most ebook reading except when I'm in direct sunlight.
I used to be only a print-version reader. That first Kindle won me over. And ebooks save forests, my sagging bookshelves, and my eyes.
r/Steve

message 14: by Mary (last edited Aug 13, 2017 06:54PM) (new)

Mary C | 173 comments I decided to purchase a Kindle Voyage to replace my 5+ y/o Kindle keyboard and now wish I had done it much sooner. The reading experience is totally different on my new Kindle - the backlight and superior resolution have really sold me on using it. I still read paper books mostly because I get them at no charge from the library and I'm too darned cheap to keep buying all the books, Kindle or paper (except for the group reads here, of course!) I read. Our local library system is improving the selection of e-books to borrow, so I see myself transitioning more to Kindle-based material.

message 15: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments E readers are great, so are paper books, it is essential to keep using libraries, not because you are cheap LOL but because they are so under threat from cutbacks in finance.

message 16: by Steven (new)

Steven Moore Judith and Mary,
As a mostly partial DIY guy, I can testify that it's more costly to publish a print book than an ebook--so why do many traditional publishers charge almost as much for the ebook as the print version? Only my last book was traditionally published and that of course has both ebook and print versions, but I'm in the midst of the slow process of adding print versions to my many ebooks. For one book, it's not so much, but with my number of books, the task seems daunting. That's one reason why I went traditional (pros and cons for both, of course).
That said, our local PL is in the grip of some service where they can lend an ebook only some number of times and then have to buy a new one, and they're not allowed to purchase anything other than traditionally published ebooks.
As a believer in PLs (my main source for reading as a kid), I've donated what few print versions of novels I have available to our local PL and PLs on the West Coast, thanks to an HS school chum.
I see a brighter future for ebooks as print versions go up in price and ebook prices go down, and also because of all the potential multimedia applications. I'm a wee bit too old to experiment with the latter, but they will come. That "pfft!" from a gun with a silencer or scent from a bouquet of flowers could be replaced by sound and scent subroutines embedded in the ebook file. It's just a computer file after all.
r/Steve

message 17: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments Goodness, I had never thought that sounds and scents could be incorporated into ebooks, that being said could we ever have thought that a slim piece of technology could hold up to a thousand books and more, back in the past. It was good to hear how much you do to support your library.

message 18: by Steven (new)

Steven Moore Hi Judith,
The hardware for sound is already there. We'd need it for scents. Of course, one would have to be selective. A flower bouquet = good scent; a week-old decaying body = bad scent. BTW, I'm expecting the multimedia stuff to come to TV first.
One reason 99% of my ebooks aren't exclusive to Amazon is that I can offer them at a reduced price for libraries on Smashwords, which also has library-like lending services as affiliates. That makes it hard to figure out how many readers I have (readers don't equate to sales in my case), but I know I've replaced print versions in our local PL at least once because the original donations became dog-eared and the covers basically unreadable.
Having been an avid reader since I was a kid (and still am--speed reading skills help), I'm in constant fear that readership is rapidly diminishing because of all the passive entertainment available (I consider reading to be more active for the mind). Maybe that should be another discussion thread?
r/Steve

message 19: by David (new)

Steven wrote: "Judith and Mary,
As a mostly partial DIY guy, I can testify that it's more costly to publish a print book than an ebook--so why do many traditional publishers charge almost as much for the ebook as..."

I tend to think Steven that the reason for print and e-book being around the same price, even though e-books are cheaper, is all to do with the publisher dictating price and not allowing to big a price differentation.

I love my kindle Paperweight and FireHD tablet and use both to read e-books. The price structure does mean that sometimes a paperback is cheaper and I will buy that or they are on offer in WH Smiths in the UK at buy 1 get one half price or 3 for 2 and tempt me to buy a couple. I also give my old books to the charity shops and do look at books in there as well as you can find some right bargains.

message 20: by David (new)

Steven wrote: "I'm in constant fear that readership is rapidly diminishing because of all the passive entertainment available (I consider reading to be more active for the mind)."

You are welcome to start a new thread on the subject should you wish Steven.
I personally lay the fault with kids today not reading (if they don't) with their parents. I read every night to my kids, when they were young, without fail and pushed reading as it broadens the mind, increases vocabulary and fires the imagination. Both mine read books and my daughter is far more an avid reader than me and I am pretty avid.

message 21: by Steven (new)

Steven Moore David,
I read and played music (using a Colombian tiple to accompany my bad singing). Both kids like music; only one loves to read.
You're doing the right thing, but I'm not sure it works that well anymore--too many distractions--streaming video, computer games, and social media (excepting Goodreads, of course).
r/Steve

message 22: by Steven (new)

Steven Moore David,
...and I'll participate in the thread if someone starts it. I'm new to the group, so I'm a bit reluctant to do that.
Any takers?
r/Steve

message 23: by David (new)

I thought my kids were going off books once Steve. Then we were watching a quiz show a question came up on Nelson (who by the way is my favourite tactician). I answered it and then explained to my kids his tactics in the battle where he took the boats in single file so the bigger French boats couldn't pick them off as easyas they weren't all broadside on so smaller target. How then the smaller English boats he had them move inside quickly alongside not firing then hit them all straight off blasting them both sides and ultimately getting them to surrender.
They asked how I know stuff like that and I said no computers when I did history as a kid so had to read about it. Got em back to books in one hit.

message 24: by David (new)

Oh and I do accept that in today's world there are far more distractions for kids to offer alternatives to reading. My answer to that is persevere.

message 25: by Steven (new)

Steven Moore David,
We share a love of history. My most recent novel has an art history theme.
I do wish they'd keep the pigeon poop off Nelson's statue. ;-)
r/Steve

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 549 comments I read some books using the Kindle app on my iPad but if find that i get eye strain after about four hours

Am wondering if there are features on the actual kindle that one can adjust to reduce eye strain?

message 27: by Mary (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) Hi Beth,
I had moved to only reading large print books and was having problems. So I bought a nook...hated it and went back to big print books. Finally, with birthday gift cash I bought Amazon Fire HD 10.1 Inch Tablet. It is a tablet and a kindle. I absolutely love it. You can change the background lighting, many sizes of print to choose from and even has a nighttime lighting setting to sort of help your pupils ready for the dark and sleep.
Truly recommend it...Amazon has lots of sales on these type of things, so keep checking prices. They also have really big sales a couple times a year with amazing prices. My son bought 5 kindles at $25 each last year for his older kids.

It also has a feature that lets you save quotes or pages, paragraphs etc..I like that.
I also borrowed an older Kindle (not sure what it was) that gave me problems with keeping track of the page I had stopped reading on. Very frustrating.

message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 549 comments Thanks, Mary. I will look into that. I am finding that a lot of books are printed for kindle first and come out in paper some time later (someone told me that publishers decide what to print depending on how well the e-version sells).

But the eye strain is an issue so will look at your suggestion

message 29: by Erunyauve (new)

Erunyauve | 168 comments My Kindle Keyboard is the easiest one to use on the train, when I usually need one hand to hold on to the bar. I do use my Paperwhite on vacation or when I want to read in bed. (One small issue with that - the cats can and do turn the pages for me.) I only use my Fire for books with illustrations - it's a bit heavy to hold in one hand, and the battery doesn't last as long.

I was one of those kids who had to be told to put her put down at the dinner table, but I didn't read much at all as a young adult. When I switched to taking the train, I started to read again, and after I got my Kindle, I started to devour.

message 30: by Marie-Laure (new)

Marie-Laure (dumpty) | 75 comments Up until recently I had a kindle paperwhite and used it with pleasure for 5 years.
Then my elder daughter left the house to go and study away from home and took the family kindle (another paperwhite) away with her. So we were looking into buying another one for her sister (mainly) and brother (wishful thinking ... he doesn't read much :( ). But my husband surprised me at chistmas with a brand new kindle oasis ... and I gave my paperwhite to my 2nd daughter.
I'm pretty pleased with it.
I enjoy reading in my bath and feel safer doing it now. Before, I would put my previous kindle on a stool next to the bath tub and twist my neck to read. OK, that was the fun part, and mostly futile, but that's what presents are for :D
Contrary to the comments I've se en on amazon, the battery does have a slightly shorter usage time thant with the paperwhite, but nothing drastic ! I plug it on sunday evenings to have it full at the beginning of the week, and it's usually low but not empty on the next sunday (I usually read serveral hours each day or night)
The screen definition is also better.

On the not as good part, it's wider, so doesn't fit as well in a pocket or small handbag ...
And it's also quite expensive ....

message 31: by Steven (new)

Steven Moore I have a Kindle Fire. As a tablet, it's slow and the battery doesn't last long. As an e-reader, it beats reading on a laptop. But I'm not sure I'd ever buy another Amazon product (I won't go into reasons), in particular ebooks. If any author insists on being Amazon exclusive here, please reconsider. I'll be buying my ebooks from Smashwords! (Yeah, I know this is probably going to be censored because the retail giant owns Goodreads. So be it--it will just be another reason to boycott Amazon!)
r/Steve