Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Pulling trigger on book 2

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike Turner | 45 comments Hi all,

I've got my second book ready and I'm trying to work out the best time to put it out there - should i wait for my first book to come off of its current KU run so I can put the first book on instafreebie to try and drum up interest, or should I just whack my second book out there ASAP because building up my library of published work is what will drive sales?

Any views, as ever, greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

message 2: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4603 comments Mod
This is a great time to release a book. It's right before summer and that's the best marketing tool- a great summer read or this is the book to take on vacation. We always had solid results when we released this time of year.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments Congratulations and good luck, Mike. Hugs

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike Turner | 45 comments Thanks Carole, I'm leaning towards getting it out there sooner rather than later. I'm thinking of putting together a launch package (or more likely, paying someone else to do it for me), will update on what difference it makes this time around vs the first book that i just pushed out without any fanfare, or even a professional cover!

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike Turner | 45 comments Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) wrote: "Congratulations and good luck, Mike. Hugs"

thanks Sam :)

message 6: by Carole (last edited May 23, 2017 04:20PM) (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4603 comments Mod
Mike wrote: "Thanks Carole, I'm leaning towards getting it out there sooner rather than later. I'm thinking of putting together a launch package (or more likely, paying someone else to do it for me), will updat..."

Julie always did a slow build for my son's books- like a tease. She made these fun Facebook parties and would get people guessing what the book was about. We gave out prizes related to the books- For The Flip we gave out Home Depot gift cards- small amounts. For Pokergeist, customized decks of cards. We gave out suntan lotion, beach bags, Halloween candy for a monster book, even Starbucks gifts cards in case they spent the entire night reading 'cause they couldn't put the book down. It worked- his books always started with a bang.

message 7: by Ember-Raine (new)

Ember-Raine Winters (ember-raine_winters) | 186 comments Hi Mike! I would say sooner rather than later! I myself have been releasing every two or so months to keep readers interest. I think if you get your library packed with books then other things will come a bit easier! People will trust your work and you will have a bit more wiggle room when it comes to marketing and such! Hope this helps!

message 8: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 1496 comments Mod
Carole wrote: "Mike wrote: "Thanks Carole, I'm leaning towards getting it out there sooner rather than later. I'm thinking of putting together a launch package (or more likely, paying someone else to do it for me..."

I like the Starbucks gift cards idea! Lol

message 9: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 153 comments Ember wrote: "Hi Mike! I would say sooner rather than later! I myself have been releasing every two or so months to keep readers interest. I think if you get your library packed with books then other things will..."

I didn't realize that, Ember. Wow, that's great. I wish I had your dedication... And I think you're right too.

message 10: by Ember-Raine (new)

Ember-Raine Winters (ember-raine_winters) | 186 comments Thanks Nat! I saw a video series about how to have the perfect year releasing books from JA Huss and she gave the advice that an author should release as often as they can. 6 books a year and keep writing and promoting as much as possible! It's my plan for a successful year of book sales lol!

message 11: by Mike (new)

Mike Turner | 45 comments Ember wrote: "Thanks Nat! I saw a video series about how to have the perfect year releasing books from JA Huss and she gave the advice that an author should release as often as they can. 6 books a year and keep ..."

woweee, that is some serious dedication. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

message 12: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 153 comments Ember wrote: "Thanks Nat! I saw a video series about how to have the perfect year releasing books from JA Huss and she gave the advice that an author should release as often as they can. 6 books a year and keep ..."

Well if you need a boost or a push, let me know (on FB or TW or however.)

I wish I could do that. Maybe next year. I just don't have the mojo this year.

message 13: by Chris (last edited May 24, 2017 11:43PM) (new)

Chris Stead (chrisstead) | 15 comments Hi Mike,

Just putting this out there just in case, but I advise having an ad to your first book to your second book, and vice versa. As in, you may want to resubmit your first book with the ad before you release the second one (certainly before you do any marketing). This is something we do in the book's we design and publish.

Chris

message 14: by Mike (new)

Mike Turner | 45 comments Chris wrote: "Hi Mike,

Just putting this out there just in case, but I advise having an ad to your first book to your second book, and vice versa. As in, you may want to resubmit your first book with the ad bef..."

thanks Chris, been putting off resubbing first book because it is just such a faff getting the layout right purely add one line but will do it this weekend :)

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris Stead (chrisstead) | 15 comments It gets more time consuming with each new entry in a series, too, lol. If you ever need help with design or subbing, or getting new designs for different formats, be sure to check us out - www.oldmatemedia.com

Best of luck!!

message 16: by Mike (new)

Mike Turner | 45 comments Hi all - i thought I'd just give a quick update on how opening weekend went.

I hired a guy that i know to be a successful self pub fantasy author (my genre is sci fi/fantasy) from the self pub sub reddit to arrange the launch for me after reading his extensive series of blogposts on how to do it, i was convinced he knew his stuff.

http://www.stuartthamanbooks.com/mark...

Here are the numbers - I paid US$1k.

It's steep but the guy comes with a guarantee that if you don't make that back in the first month, he will refund you the difference. Obvs that's a leap of faith.

As of 9am UK time on Monday June 5, I've had 34,720 page reads on Kindle, and 25 book downloads.

My existing book went to number 3 in the relevant sub category and in the top 3k of all kindle books and the latest book opened in the top 100 of the relevant sub category and is now at 88 in that category.

Email communications have been good throughout, with the guy asking relatively little from me to get the ball rolling. I think he does some pre-checks to make sure your book has a decent cover and has been edited etc before he agrees to take you on.

So do i think it was worth it? well, there's still some time left on the service to go, but I am pretty certain that I wouldn't have been able to hit those sorts of numbers unaided.

If you can afford it (and 1k is expensive!!!) then I would say it is definitely worth it.

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments That's a lot of money, if however you make your money back and it helps to build future sales-how awesome would that be! Good luck.

message 18: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments It certainly is a reasonable chunk of change but if it gets a result and you can afford it, it sounds worth it. If I had the money to spare I'd give it a go.

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments So would I. I'm not in a position to do so, but I've always been someone who likes to throw money at a problem to help it along. The last few years of not being able to do that have been stressful and tedious.

message 20: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Amy wrote: "So would I. I'm not in a position to do so, but I've always been someone who likes to throw money at a problem to help it along. The last few years of not being able to do that have been stressful ..."

I'm the same, I know my limitations and I know when it is a good idea to spend money on something, I just don't have the money at the moment.

message 21: by Mike (new)

Mike Turner | 45 comments yeah I must admit that it was a very odd sensation to send so much money to someone over the internet from a forum for a service that is hard to quantify, but i just got a rebate for something that almost hit the 1k mark, so thought f**k it and went for it. :)

message 22: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Mike wrote: "yeah I must admit that it was a very odd sensation to send so much money to someone over the internet from a forum for a service that is hard to quantify, but i just got a rebate for something that..."

Well based on my rough maths you've already made back at least 20% of the fee so that's a great start.

message 23: by Mike (new)

Mike Turner | 45 comments Alex I'm sure I remember reading on your blog that your epub career is your job now?

If so, you could write off the expense of hiring someone to market the book as tax deductible as it's a legitimate business expense.

Just a thought.

message 24: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Mike wrote: "Alex I'm sure I remember reading on your blog that your epub career is your job now?

If so, you could write off the expense of hiring someone to market the book as tax deductible as it's a legiti..."

It is my job, such as it is, but I'd need money for the expense in the first place and I just don't have it. I only have enough money for my bills at the moment, and barely that, I need to get my books selling better so I can put money aside for things like this, which I would like to do.
Making writing my job was more a lack of options than anything else, I'm on benefits because anxiety issues keep me from going out and getting a regular job, and I saw writing as a way to make some money from something I enjoy. sales haven't yet reached the point where I'm breaking even on the investments I've made, let alone paying my bills.
I'll get there eventually, though, then I'll be able to boost my career with things like what you have done.

message 25: by Mike (new)

Mike Turner | 45 comments Alex wrote: "Mike wrote: "Alex I'm sure I remember reading on your blog that your epub career is your job now?

If so, you could write off the expense of hiring someone to market the book as tax deductible as ..."

aye fair enough - i'm sure you will get there!

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread