Our Shared Shelf discussion

Intersectional Feminism > what foes it actually mean to be equal?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SHUBHDA (new)

SHUBHDA | 4 comments Is getting equal work rights, equal education, and a right to voice our thoughts ,equality?

message 2: by Prats (new)

Prats (pratyusha5924) Being equal means walking alone at night without the fear of being raped or kidnapped.

Being equal means little girls getting the same opportunities for education as little boys do.

Being equal means men not being mocked for showing emotions. They're humans too after all and any normal human shows emotions.

Being equal means the woman working hard to provide for her family earns the same amount of money as her male colleague in the same position.

Being equal means people stop determining someone's potential by looking at what is between their legs, instead of focusing on their talents and wit.

Being equal means people stop shaming girls for kissing many people, while praising boys for doing the exact same thing.

This is what equality means to me. Being the same and diminishing toxic double-standards.

message 3: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments Equal treatment and opportunity irrespective of gender. sounds about right shubhda.

message 4: by Britt (new)

Britt | 123 comments Equality would be when this group (and any other militant feminist/equality groups) becomes obsolete because we don't need to defend specific women's rights anymore, because they are the same as men's!

message 5: by Winston (new)

Winston | 180 comments IMHO, Feminism's goals will change by location/social culture. For example, in more developed countries, women face many social barriers.
But for developing nations, simply access to water or energy can be major burdens that fall primarily on women shoulders. (water.org research: http://water.org/water-crisis/womens-...)

While yeah, ideally, equality can be this peanut-butter-spread of rights/opportunities/treatment, I think it's important, Shubhda in answering your question completely, to keep in mind the current barriers as well as the ones that keep up from a utopia. Sort of a perfect is the enemy of the good ish idea.

Side note, I like Pratyusha's comment on treatment of men as part of feminisms goals. That's inclusion.

Second side note. Equal pay still isn't nuanced enough! It's also choices/sociality assumptions/empowering women to ask and demand raises on their own merit.

message 6: by SHUBHDA (new)

SHUBHDA | 4 comments Exactly. This was the main motive behind me putting forward this question.
Just as Winston pointed out, the definition of equality and freedom varies with the place and time. On one hand where having equal constitutional rights is a kind of equality,there are families where sitting at the dining table ALONG with the male population of their family is considered a humongous feat.
We have to strive to a world where equality means the one and the same thing all-over the globe.

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason | 20 comments I can tell you what it used to mean to me.

Men learning about the strengths in women. Equal rights. Equal Pay.

It's 2017.

In 1917, we were fighting for civil rights and immigration.

In 1817, we were fighting a civil war.

In 1717, there were witch hunts and the various illnesses.

I can honestly say, things have greatly changed since 1717. It took 300 years, but we made it.

After watching Patrick Stewart's performance in Logan, as Professor Xavier, it got me, to thinking, about the causes he was fighting for; equal rights among mutants.

Near the end of Professor Xavier's days, he was no longer the young, enthusiastic man we knew. His message may have gotten across; it may not have gotten across; ... regardless, the world has changed, and he barely recognises it. Times changed.

All of this got me to thinking about life, in general. ... What I type here, what I read here.. 300 years from now, things might have changed, but I doubt they will have anything to do with what I'm typing now.

I guess what I'm saying is, when I am 80, my message might have gotten across, but I have serious doubts that I will recognise the world around me when that happens.

What equality means to me right now, might be completely different when I'm an old man.

Ultimately, I think that's why change scares many people.

Change is 'most definitely' needed.

message 8: by Georgios (last edited May 23, 2017 01:09AM) (new)

Georgios Everything that is equality is in this link here.

http://www.un.org/en/universal-declar...

Any group that wants more than what is stated above does so in the expense of another group.

Print these out and read them every night till you understand them. I have printed them out and I have placed them in the first page of any of the notebooks that I use for writing. Its not just a gesture either.

Use these rules to see if the motives and actions of others are in accordance to them. And then you will see the causes of inequality.

I will also suggest the nobelist Joseph Stiglitz "The price of Inequality" It's not Gender oriented but it revolves around the issue of economic inequality but inequality nevertheless. Its good to read such a book because when you read about similar ideas and notions you avoid inbred ideas. Υou learn new ideas and notions which in turn you can graft to you own cause. This is the transplanting of ideas.

This is why when people who want to do a doctorate are advised to do it in a university other then the one they have graduated. Transplanting and mixing of ideas. Thats how solutions are found.