YA Book Bloggers discussion

ARCs > All about ARCs

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Laura (thebookcorps) | 53 comments Mod
This discussion is a starting place for bloggers who don’t know how to acquire ARCs yet, as well as a place to ask questions, and find tips from expert bloggers.

What are ARCs?

Ever checked out a book on Goodreads that hasn’t been published yet, only to find there are heaps of reviews of the book already? Well, those reviews are sourced from ARCs which are supplied to bloggers, reviewers, librarians, booksellers, etc, by publishing companies in exchange for a review.

ARCs are free copies of novels that have not yet been published, which are used to generate buzz, endorse a novel, and encourage purchase. ARCs are supplied to reviewers at different stages: some can be received months before the publication date, while others are only provided a week or so before the book is set for release. This means that sometimes ARCs will be classified as uncorrected galley proofs (not the final product) so you will most likely come across errors. The text in an ARC can also differ from the final printed copy.

ARCs usually come in the form of eBooks (Kindle, epub) and (if you’re really lucky) paperbacks.

It is also important to note that just because you receive a free copy of a novel doesn’t mean you should feel obliged to rate the book 5 stars . The great thing about ARCs and ARC reviews is that they also help people decide whether they want to read a specific book, as well as informing the public of whether a book contains offensive/unseemly material.

Where do you get ARCs from?

The main two websites to request ARCs from are:

Netgalley
Edelweiss

Simply sign up, create a profile, and start browsing!

Don't feel discouraged if you are rejected for an ARC. Sometimes you might not have enough pertinent detail on your profile, or you requested a book from a company outside of your region.
It's also handy to remember that each publishing company has a set of different requirements and guidelines for ARCs. It's always a good idea to read up on the guidelines before requesting to improve your chances.

--

Questions?

If you have any questions about ARCs - how to request, how to format your profile, how to write a review to avoid spoilers, when to release the review, etc. - don't hesitate to comment! I encourage everyone to ask/answer questions or start new discussions to help fellow bloggers as much as possible.

message 2: by julianna ➹ (new)

julianna ➹ (juliannnnna) Additional:

There's another site that's quite small that also lets you request ARCS!
Blogging For Books
It may not have the best selection, but if you request a book, there's a guarantee that you will receive it (in physical form)

There's also another site from Penguin! It also may not have a large selection, but sometimes they put on highly coveted ARCS.
First To Read

Two other general sites to get ARCs from is LibraryThing (request? I think it works like a giveaway) and ShelfAwareness!! And of course you can get books from giveaways at Goodreads.

Also, here are some links to some blog post guides that may be helpful :) (I don't feel like formatting them, so you might just have to copy/paste the links??)

https://www.nosegraze.com/how-to-rece...
http://yamidnightreads.com/2015/06/mi...
http://yamidnightreads.com/2016/01/mi...
http://katiesbookblog.com/2013/05/how...

ALSO: You can get ARCs and review copies from Blog Tours (I've personally never participated in one)

Julianna wrote: "Additional:

There's another site that's quite small that also lets you request ARCS!
Blogging For Books
It may not have the best selection, but if you request a book, there's a guarantee that you ..."

Thanks for this! I've heard of Penguin's First to Read, but unfortunately it's not available in my country. haven't heard of the others - I'll take a look now, especially if you can get physical ARCs. :)

Thanks again!

message 4: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (bookprincessreviewsblog) | 36 comments Mod
Laura wrote: " This discussion is a starting place for bloggers who don’t know how to acquire ARCs yet, as well as a place to ask questions, and find tips from expert bloggers.

What are ARCs?

Ever checked..."

Oooooh, this was such a great addition! I knew vaguely of a few of these, but your descriptions super helped as well explaining it a bit better. And I love what you said about blog tours - I totally didn't know about that until a few weeks ago by accident. XD

Loved this! :D

message 5: by Mandy (new)

Also, AMAZING job, Laura. I super wish I had this when I first started blogging. I was so clueless, and I did take the rejections to heart a bit.

The only thing I would add is BE CAREFUL OF NETGALLEY. IT IS ADDICTIVE. XD I still need to tell myself that.

Such a wonderful job!!

Mandy wrote: "Also, AMAZING job, Laura. I super wish I had this when I first started blogging. I was so clueless, and I did take the rejections to heart a bit.

The only thing I would add is BE CAREFUL OF NETGA..."

Thank you Mandy!! And yes, omg, Netgalley is so addictive. I get so carried away sometimes and request 10+ books and then realise I have to read them all :P

message 7: by Mandy (new)

Laura wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Also, AMAZING job, Laura. I super wish I had this when I first started blogging. I was so clueless, and I did take the rejections to heart a bit.

The only thing I would add is BE CA..."

LOL, YES. I was so excited because I gotten it to the point where I only had 3 to read, and I'm like, oh, there's no way they will approve me for all 20 of these books that I should request. D: So much oops and book regret right now. XD

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jmtuckerman) | 11 comments Mandy wrote: "Also, AMAZING job, Laura. I super wish I had this when I first started blogging. I was so clueless, and I did take the rejections to heart a bit.

The only thing I would add is BE CAREFUL OF NETGA..."

SOOOOO TRUE. NetGalley and Edelweiss are addictive. It's really important to remember that if you are approved that you are obligated to review that book and send feedback in a timely manner. Otherwise it reflects poorly on you.

I know this is super hard-but don't request more than four books at a time. And I say this because sometimes the publisher takes a little bit to respond. It's better to wait than it is to suddenly have 16 books to review and less than a week to provide feedback.

And pay attention to the publication date and whether or not it's a sequel.

Jessica wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Also, AMAZING job, Laura. I super wish I had this when I first started blogging. I was so clueless, and I did take the rejections to heart a bit.

Great advice Jessica! We have to remember its not just a chance to receive free books, we still need to review. ☺️

message 10: by Mandy (new)

Jessica wrote: "Mandy wrote: "Also, AMAZING job, Laura. I super wish I had this when I first started blogging. I was so clueless, and I did take the rejections to heart a bit.

*writes down this note so I can always be reminded since I fail terribly with this*

Wonderfully said, Jessica! :) Publication date = key.

Hi guys!!

Does anyone know how to use Edelweiss? I can't seem to figure anything out! It's so confusing

Thanks ☺️

message 12: by Darque (new)

Darque  Dreamer  (darquedreamer) | 4 comments NetGalley is addicting!! I sometimes email agents or publishers and ask for ARC's if I feel that I can help promote the book to my followers. It's important to remember that asking for ARC's is about helping the author spread the word. I never ask for an ARC I don't think I will like.