.. discussion

The Circle
This topic is about The Circle
Dave Eggers > The Circle | Discussion

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lex (last edited May 20, 2017 11:04AM) (new) - added it

Lex (likeliterallyliterary) | 194 comments Mod
I started reading The Circle this week, I'm reading an eBook edition, and I did not realize how long it was! Wooo. Good thing this weekend is a long weekend in Canada.

How's everyone else getting on with this book?

Roxanne | 75 comments My hold just came in so I hope to start it this week. My reading has taken a dive. I have been so busy lately.

message 3: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Davis | 3 comments i know the feeling Roxanne. i have been busy myself. looking forward to you starting again. respectfully bobby davis

message 4: by Lex (new) - added it

Roxanne wrote: "My hold just came in so I hope to start it this week. My reading has taken a dive. I have been so busy lately."

That's understandable. I got a late start to this book because I've been busier than usual the last couple of weeks too. I look forward to your thoughts!

message 5: by Lex (new) - added it

Bobby wrote: "i know the feeling Roxanne. i have been busy myself. looking forward to you starting again. respectfully bobby davis"

I'm not sure how far into the book you are but how are you liking The Circle so far, Bobby?

Roxanne | 75 comments Thanks! I am hoping things slow down some.

message 7: by Lex (last edited May 24, 2017 07:23PM) (new) - added it

I'm finding the book really slow... I also didn't think the story would be so much of Mae but more of The Circle as a company. I'm starting section Book II tonight so maybe the focus will shift?

Stacey I finished a few days ago. I loved the ideas and there are interesting parts but I found it lacking depth and being very little action. The Kalden parts seemed too strange to me as well. Looking forward to hearing what others thought.

message 9: by Lex (new) - added it

Stacey wrote: "I finished a few days ago. I loved the ideas and there are interesting parts but I found it lacking depth and being very little action. The Kalden parts seemed too strange to me as well. Looking fo..."

Right! Like what's up with Kalden? From what I've read so far he's a complete mystery and probably some sort of spy.

The book topic is definitely an interesting idea and I wanted the book to be more about the circle instead of Mae and her innocence and insecurities. However, I'm guessing I'll discover more of the circles secrets soon but it' still too much set up for me... more than 50% of the book! Please tell more happens in the last 40% of the book. Idk if I can take anymore of Mae's boring story.

Also, reading about Mae having 6 screens at work that all focus on different parts of the job and to stay in communication stresses me out.

Stacey If you don't figure out (or at least suspect strongly) who Kalden is by the end, I'll be surprised. I was really disappointed in the speed and the reactions to events near the end. I truly loved the concept and it spurred conversation but I kept wondering when something was going to happen. It doesn't really until the very end.

Roxanne | 75 comments I meant to come back and comment. I had a hard time with this book. I didn't like it very much which bummed me out, because seeing the trailer and reading the synopsis I thought this would be great, but it wasn't executed that well.