Mitford Lovers! discussion

Home to Holly Springs (Mitford Years, #10)
This topic is about Home to Holly Springs
Thoughts on the Father Tim Series?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah Grace Grzy (sarahgraceg) | 11 comments What are your thoughts on the Father Tim series? Like it? Love it? Hate it?

message 2: by Sydney (last edited Nov 14, 2017 02:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sydney (slknutsen) | 16 comments Always enjoy it! Reading the new one, To Be Where You Are. Life continues in Mitford, NC! May it continue for years to come.

Must admit I like the early novels better. I especially like the "destination" settings-Mississippi, Ireland, etc.

message 3: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura | 12 comments I have not read the two novels in the Father Tim series. I plan of reading them next year. After reading Karon's latest, I could tell I was missing out on some characterization of secondary characters.

Sarah Grace Grzy (sarahgraceg) | 11 comments Laura, definitely read them! The second one was kind of meh for me, but the first one was AMAZING, and laid out some very important backstory for Father Tim.

message 5: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura | 12 comments Good to know. I won the first one. It seems like I might learn more about his brother in that one?

Sarah Grace Grzy (sarahgraceg) | 11 comments Laura wrote: "Good to know. I won the first one. It seems like I might learn more about his brother in that one?"

Yes, you do. :)

message 7: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 12 comments I need to reread the Father Tim series. I did read them, but I need to refresh my memory. :)

message 8: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura | 12 comments Has anyone read a series that reminded them of Jan Karon's series?

Sarah Grace Grzy (sarahgraceg) | 11 comments Laura wrote: "Has anyone read a series that reminded them of Jan Karon's series?"

No. :( I've been looking for a book or series that is similar, but haven't found anything. Have you?

message 10: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 12 comments Laura wrote: "Has anyone read a series that reminded them of Jan Karon's series?"

No, I haven't. I have looked.

message 11: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura | 12 comments Well, years ago, I started reading one of the Thomas Kinkade series. I was enjoying it a lot so I started reading reviews and many people said that if you liked the Kinkade books, then you will love Jan Karon's books. I started the Mitford series, was hooked and have never read anything by Kinkade since. They are small town, gentle reads, too.

Sarah Grace Grzy (sarahgraceg) | 11 comments I'll have to look into those!

message 13: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 12 comments Laura wrote: "Well, years ago, I started reading one of the Thomas Kinkade series. I was enjoying it a lot so I started reading reviews and many people said that if you liked the Kinkade books, then you will lov..."

I've seen his books at the bookstore, but didn't realize he wrote series. Mmm.

message 14: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura | 12 comments I do believe it was his Cape Light series I was enjoying:)

message 15: by Carla (new)

Carla Hughey | 1 comments Louise Penny writes a delightful series about a small town, Three Pines, in Canada. There is s murder mystery to be solved in each book, but it is the characters and the character development that are the heart of the stories. Much like the Mitford “family”, the Three Pines characters feel like family. Love them. Recommend reading them in order.

Sarah Grace Grzy (sarahgraceg) | 11 comments Thanks Carla! I'll check them out. :)

message 17: by Sydney (last edited Nov 14, 2017 02:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sydney (slknutsen) | 16 comments Laura wrote: "Has anyone read a series that reminded them of Jan Karon's series?"
If you find anything, I would love to know. I have read a Louise Penny or two.

message 18: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy (audioaddict1234) | 5 comments Laura wrote: "Has anyone read a series that reminded them of Jan Karon's series?"

The Butternut Creek series is about a young pastor in a small town. Only 3 so far though.

message 19: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura | 12 comments I actually have the first two books of that series on my E reader. I just haven't read them yet. Have you read any of them?

message 20: by Sydney (last edited Aug 21, 2018 12:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sydney (slknutsen) | 16 comments Who is the author of The Butternut Creek

message 21: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy (audioaddict1234) | 5 comments Jane Myers Perrine is the author. The first one is The Welcome Committee of Butternut Creek. I read and enjoyed the first two. I will read the last one but I’m currently trying to reduce my tbr.

Bookworman Many thanks for the recommendation of Jane Myers Perrine. I'm a huge fan of The Mitford Series and have been trying to find similar books. I've requested the first book from the library and look forward to reading it.

I realize that there hasn't been any activity on this discussion for a while but thought I'd share my thoughts about Father Tim and this wonderful series.

From the first sentence of "At Home in Mitford", I was hooked. I love Father Tim and all the wonderful characters. What's so amazing is that these stories are for everyone. They're gently witty, beautifully spiritual, and completely satisfying. Karon is never preachy, there's no hidden agenda, and (Thank you, God!), she's written a set of books for grown-ups with grown-up themes but without all the Ew (profanity, sex, and violence). Oh, don't get me wrong, there's all of that included but Karon treats her readers with the respect they deserve. She implies instead of beating us over the head with it. Not sure if she'll continue the series but hoping and praying she will.

message 23: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura | 12 comments Thanks for sharing! I wanted to let everyone know, too, that Jan Karon's book, To Be Where You Are, is currently 1.99$ as an ebook if anyone was interested:-)

Bookworman So am I being obsessive compulsive if I own the whole series as ebooks and audiobooks??? Erm... maybe not but I also read and listen to this series about once year. LOL :-)

Really the only one that I have trouble with is "In the Company of Others" as it's really depressing and I find the journal readings boring. I'm considering buying it as an audiobook as maybe it would be better to listen to than to read.

Sarah Grace Grzy (sarahgraceg) | 11 comments Bookworman wrote: "So am I being obsessive compulsive if I own the whole series as ebooks and audiobooks??? Erm... maybe not but I also read and listen to this series about once year. LOL :-)

Really the only one tha..."

I own the penguin paperbacks and am collecting the hardbacks, so I certainly won't judge. ;)

(Also I totally agree about In the Company of Others.)

Sarah Grace Grzy (sarahgraceg) | 11 comments Bookworman wrote: "Many thanks for the recommendation of Jane Myers Perrine. I'm a huge fan of The Mitford Series and have been trying to find similar books. I've requested the first book from the library and look fo..."

I so SO agree with everything you just said! You summarized perfectly the reason I love this series so much.

Sydney (slknutsen) | 16 comments Thank you, Bookworman, for your comments. Always looking for books with your criteria. What a nice comment when you said that Karon treats her readers with respect. Wish this wasn't the end of the series.

message 28: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy (audioaddict1234) | 5 comments I think I own all the audiobooks except the wedding one. It has a female narrator and she read the book with a southern accent. I guess she missed that Cynthia is a Yankee. It bugged me too much to keep it.

Sydney (slknutsen) | 16 comments Carla wrote: "Louise Penny writes a delightful series about a small town, Three Pines, in Canada. There is s murder mystery to be solved in each book, but it is the characters and the character development that ..."

Agree. Read and loved the whole series.

Sydney (slknutsen) | 16 comments This is 12.2020. Pandemic year. It's time to break out the Mitford series again. I keep them on my shelf for when I just need to read something warm and comforting. This is the year!

message 31: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura | 12 comments Great idea!

message 32: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 12 comments Sydney wrote: "This is 12.2020. Pandemic year. It's time to break out the Mitford series again. I keep them on my shelf for when I just need to read something warm and comforting. This is the year!"

Yes! Great idea!

message 33: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy (audioaddict1234) | 5 comments I listen to the audiobooks at night when I can’t sleep. They always calm my thoughts. I was sad to hear that the narrator of the main series, John McDonough, passed away last week.