Memoir Authors discussion

Writing > Can I use brand names in my writing?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Balge (michellebalge) | 13 comments Is it okay to tell my experience with specific brands even if some of these experiences are negative? A small part of what I have written so far is about the side effects I've experienced on Accutane as well as a few antidepressants. I don't want to risk being sued, but it's also easier to write specific medication names instead of stating that I used one medication, switched to another medication, then added a third medication.

Thanks!

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Ghione (jannghi) | 14 comments Hi, Michelle. I've been writing a similar memoir on depression and anxiety and how I got onto Prozac. I figured since there has been a similar story called Prozac Nation, that using brand names (or even the generic names of antidepressants and such) is all right.

I had a similar question on using real names of people I know in my story. Fear of libel/slander or just plain made me decide to use fake names. It was easier than saying, "this one boy or girl," "another boy/girl," etc, which I had one when penning the initial draft.

Year before going on Prozac, I'd been on Paxil and Serzone, both of which I had a negative experience. I have included this on my book.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Balge (michellebalge) | 13 comments Jamie wrote: "Hi, Michelle. I've been writing a similar memoir on depression and anxiety and how I got onto Prozac. I figured since there has been a similar story called Prozac Nation, that using brand names (or..."

Thank you Jamie, that's really helpful! I hadn't thought of Prozac Nation as an example.

And when I began writing I did the same thing as you with names and found the same thing, it's much easier using names whether real or fake.

Good luck on your memoir!