The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 15.5 - Scan It

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4925 comments Mod
15.5 - Scan It
The first UPC (Universal Product Code or Bar Code) marked item ever scanned at a retail checkout was at the Marsh supermarket in Troy, Ohio at 8:01 a.m. on June 26, 1974, and was a 10-pack (50 sticks) of Wrigley's Juicy Fruit chewing gum.
Read a book where ALL of the letters UPC are found in the title and/or subtitle.

message 2: by SRC Moderator (new)

reserved

message 3: by SRC Moderator (new)

reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

This help thread is open!

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 124 comments Would The Poems of Catullus work for this?

message 6: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17852 comments Mod
Melanie wrote: "Would The Poems of Catullus work for this?"

Sure

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments damn this was hard...times like this I wish I could do a search of my books and limit results to titles and to-read shelf only...really wish GR would develop those search options

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 72 comments Since no one else has asked, I must be missing something really obvious, but... How do I find letters in a UPC code?

For example, the book Mary Poppins Opens the Door.

The UPC code is listed here (https://www.buycott.com/upc/978054443...) as 780544439580, 7 80544 43958 0. So there are no letters.

Or "The Happiness Project,"s UPC code per this site (http://www.upcitemdb.com/upc/82759039...) again, no letters, only numbers.

Please advise.

Thanks!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Since no one else has asked, I must be missing something really obvious, but... How do I find letters in a UPC code?

For example, the book Mary Poppins Opens the Door.

The UPC code is listed here..."

The task is to find a book with the letters u, p and c in the title. You don't need to do anything with an actual upc code.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 72 comments Got it! I knew I was missing something obvious. Thanks!

message 11: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Could I just check if The Double Clue (Quick Reads 2016): And Other Hercule Poirot Stories works, please? I think "And Other Hercule Poirot Stories" counts as a subtitle but just want to be sure. Thank you!

message 12: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17852 comments Mod
Bryony wrote: "Could I just check if The Double Clue (Quick Reads 2016): And Other Hercule Poirot Stories works, please? I think "And Other Hercule Poirot Stories" counts as a subtitle but just wa..."

Yes, that works.

message 13: by Bryony (last edited Aug 09, 2017 12:35PM) (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Thank you!