Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Submitting to multiple platforms

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Blaque (new)

Blaque Diamond (blaquediamondbooks) | 76 comments Hey you guys I have a question about submitting my e-book to multiple platforms such as draft to digital, smash words and pronoun. Is this possible? I know they distribute books to some of the same places such as Barnes and Noble, kindle, I books etc. Will this make my book show up multiple times because I published with three of the same companies that publish to some of the same companies? They all do not distribute to the same company just only a few.

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 770 comments If you publish to Barnes and Noble or any site on one platform you have to de-select the option on the other platforms.
You can use all three platforms if you wish, I do, but you can't publish to Barnes and Noble or anywhere else from all of them.

I do

Amazon, B&N, iTunes, Google Play through Pronoun
Kobo through D2D
all others through Smashwords

I have my reasons for using each platform, they all have advantages and disadvantages.

message 3: by John (new)

John Egan | 9 comments I published on Amazon via KDP and on Smashwords to reach B&N, iTunes, Indigo-Chapters, and Overdrive, and echo the previous points.

message 4: by Frances (new)

Frances Ixx (Frances_ixx) | 33 comments (I think this fits here without requiring s new thread)
I've been looking around at platforms and Lulu has distribution packages for pretty much everywhere; the downside obviously being that royalty revenue is lower because of the extra distribution fees. My question is, for those of you who use multiple platforms, would the lower revenue be a decent trade-off for the simplicity of managing from one place?

message 5: by L.G. (new)

L.G. McFerren | 13 comments I published using CreateSpace for print and Draft2Digital for digital distribution to Barnes & Noble, Kobo, iBooks, Scribd, Inktera, Tolino, etc.

As has been said before, there are plus and minuses to any of the platforms. I read lots of reviews and went with the platforms I felt the most comfortable with.

message 6: by James (new)

James Corkill | 12 comments I publish on KDP (non-select), B&N, Smashwords, and D2 Digital. Both D2D and Smashwords offer varied options, so like Alex, I de-select any crossovers.

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela Joseph | 132 comments This is a very helpful thread. I'm on KDP select and I think it's time to broaden my base. I may be looking at Smashwords since I published with them before.

message 8: by R. (new)

R. Billing (r_billing) | 228 comments I tried Nook, Kobo and Kindle. When I saw the relative sales I switched to KDP select and dropped the other two.

message 9: by Ken (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 364 comments R. wrote: "I tried Nook, Kobo and Kindle. When I saw the relative sales I switched to KDP select and dropped the other two."

It can take a long time to build a platform on the other sites...almost a year for me, but now the others combined account for almost 50% of my overall royalties.

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 770 comments I'm not seeing many sales on any platform right now, but I appreciate it takes time to develop a following, and I figure it's better to start early, knowing that, than to spent ages on Amazon and then try to spread out to the others.

message 11: by Rikudou (new)

Rikudou En (rikudouensof) | 2 comments I have two diffent books on Amazon and Smashwords respectively. So far, Smashwords has proven more sales.