The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Does anyone else keep a book journal?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Morin (livingpagebypage) I've seen a few booktubers discuss keeping a book journal, and I thought that would be a fun idea. I don't make videos or blog, but I do love to journal and keep a record of certain things so I decided to start one. :)

Does anyone here keep one, and if so what all do you write about? I'm thinking besides general info about the book (title, author, publication date) I'll add my favorite quotes, thoughts about the books, plot turning points, character development, favorite and least characters, etc.

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracylemos) | 234 comments I keep a book of all my favorite books with the author names. I pass it around to my friends and they add in their favorites too....

AshleyA (MamaNeedsBooks) (mamaneedsbooks) What a great idea! I have never really thought about doing this, but may have to consider it.

message 4: by Greg (new)

Greg (airlinn93) I like to write a little bit about what I thought about a book right after I finish it. Sometimes that's quotes, or takeaway messages (whatever those might be for me), or frustrations, or just whatever.

I like the idea of keeping it more regular throughout the book with noting plot turns and character development like you suggested. I imagine that would help a lot, especially with longer books, to keep the earlier bits in mind when the later parts of the book call back to them.

message 5: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessalittlenerdy) I have kept several over the years! I like to write out my "review" and my thoughts before I add it to Goodreads and my blog. There is something about actually writing my thoughts out with a pen that makes it easier for me to figure out what I thought about a book.

I do like your idea of keeping track of different things as you're reading--quotes, characters, etc. Maybe with the next journal I start (I'm about 3/4 of the way finished with my current one), I'll keep it as more of a work in progress. Thanks for the idea! :)

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracylemos) | 234 comments I would probably write a lot more about my thoughts, my review, etc but that's what I do on Goodreads so I figure that's my interactive journal so to speak.... :)

message 7: by Eliza (new)

Eliza Olsen (anniebella01) | 7 comments I keep a record of books I read but never went past that. This might be a very good way to keep the books fresh in my mind . I may do this . I've always written short stories, poetry and songs but never thought about keeping a kind of diary of the books I've read . I have hundreds of paperback and hard cover books plus now my e-books . I love writing my short stories , poems and songs so this would be something I'd probably get into . Thanks for suggesting this 😀.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 1185 comments I've been keeping a book journal to keep check of my books since about 2000, long before Goodreads! I'm now on Journal no 4 - I find it handy to add series, character names and if it's a complex series and if the books are published longer than 12 months a brief synopsis of where the plot is at and cliffhangers that need to be resolved.

message 9: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracylemos) | 234 comments Oh that's a good idea Lisa! Keeping notes on cliffhangers in case a long wait between books....

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 1185 comments Tracy wrote: "Oh that's a good idea Lisa! Keeping notes on cliffhangers in case a long wait between books...."

Yes, it's amazing how you can forget important nuances of the plot or characters when it's years between books.. (I'm looking at you Diana Gabaldon, LOL)

message 11: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Morin (livingpagebypage) Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Oh that's a good idea Lisa! Keeping notes on cliffhangers in case a long wait between books...."

Yes, it's amazing how you can forget important nuances of the plot or characters when..."

This is true! I recently reread one of my favorite books that I first read in high school and I was amazed at how much I had forgotten!

message 12: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracylemos) | 234 comments LOL! I agree on Diana Gabaldon!! She tortures us and we still love her....

message 13: by Addy (new)

Addy in Bookland (addynikitabooks) | 6 comments My book notebook is a small pocket notebook I take with me everywhere. I divide it into months and from there I put my monthly current reads (so I can keep track of how far along I am), books I've read that month, books purchased that month, books I liked, and books I didn't like.

message 14: by Imogen (new)

Imogen Reeves (purplegems3) | 3 comments I usually use Goodreads as my book journal as I can keep track of how far along I am, all the books I've read (ever), books I liked and books I don't like without having to look through multiple notebooks

message 15: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Echavarría (carolinaep) I keep two, one with the book titles and the author's name (separated by the year) and other with my favorite quotes (I also like to embellish them a bit, with drawings and things like that). Also, I keep a card on Trello about my thoughts on the books I've read throughout the year because most of the time I'm too filled with emotion to make my handwriting pretty!! :P

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna (annazim84) | 1 comments yea, i usually just use goodreads to keep track of my books as well. It's synced to my kindle so if I make highlights on quotes that i like, i can choose to share them or not.