Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Julian Symons
This topic is about Julian Symons
Serieses! > Nonexistent series

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McMahon Originally posted in the feedback section, but I was advised this is the correct place.

I just finished The Players and the Game by Julian Symons, came on here to log it in and was surprised to see that it was #4 in the Joan Kahn-Harper series. There is no such character in the book. I haven't read the other books in this "series" but I think it's fair to assume that she isn't a character there either.

A google search brought up the wikipedia page for Joan Kahn, who was an editor at Harper and did edit some of Symons' work, along with many other mystery writers. The article indicates that she had her own imprint which labeled books as "A Joan Kahn-Harper Novel of Suspense" and this is where the confusion has come from. I would guess that someone somewhere, maybe at Goodreads, maybe elsewhere, incorrectly grouped these books together and it has spread across the internet like that.

message 2: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments Deleted obvious imprint series; working on individual titles.

message 3: by Tala (new)

Tala   (tala2) | 19 comments If you look here https://www.fantasticfiction.com/s/ju...
and other places it is consistently listed as the 4th book in that series.

message 5: by Tala (new)

Tala   (tala2) | 19 comments Whatever you want.
The book cover of the 1972 Hardcover states
that it's a Harper Novel.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6557 comments Tala wrote: "Whatever you want.
The book cover of the 1972 Hardcover states
that it's a Harper Novel."

Sometimes titles are grouped into a series elsewhere, but don't meet the definition of a series at GR.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41704 comments Mod
Tala wrote: "If you look here https://www.fantasticfiction.com/s/ju...
and other places it is consistently listed as the 4th book in that series."

Reminder: That site is not a source we can use for book data.

message 8: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McMahon Thanks for the quick update!