The Insecure Writer's Support Group Book Club discussion

Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
This topic is about Page After Page
2017 - Chapter After Chapter > Extra Discussion - Page After Page

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chrys (new) - added it

Chrys Fey (chrysfey) Page After Page Discussion:

This is a special discussion for the companion book to Chapter After Chapter. If you didn’t read Page After Page, that’s okay. You can still have fun answering these questions.

NOTE: Since Page After Page is not our book club’s selection, keep any discussion for Page After Page in this thread only. Thanks!

In Page After Page, Heather discusses a “writing compost pile.” This is where we store all of our writeable material, such as things that have happened to us in our lives, our childhoods, experiences, etc. And one day, we could take out something from that compost pile and write about it or include it in a story.

Questions: 1) What’s in your writing compost pile? 2) Have you ever written about something in your compost pile? 3) Will you?

In my compost pile, there’s the spine surgery I had at fifteen, a wild fire that almost took my home, being poor, being nearly homeless… And I have used these things in my writing.

A fun exercise that Heather writes about is creating a writing family. Writers you can turn to for inspiration and guidance.

Activity: Create your own writing family. Who would be your writing mom? Your writing dad? Your writing siblings?

Here’s my writing family tree:
Mom – J.D. Robb/Nora Roberts
Dad – Dan Brown
Aunt – J.K. Rowling
Aunt – Janet Evanovich
Sister – Gillian Flynn
Sister – J.H. Moncrieff
Grandmother – Judy Blume
Grandfather – Ray Bradbury
Great Great Grandmother – Lousia May Alcott
Great Great Grandfather – Lewis Carroll

Christine Rains (christinerains) | 14 comments I didn't manage to get a copy of Chapter After Chapter, but I did read Page After Page. I did some of the exercises in it, and it was a lot of fun.

You've got quite a rich compost, Chrys!

1. So many things in my compost. I had a pretty rotten childhood with abuse of all forms. I've broken bones, witnessed death, lived poor. All these things I use in my writing too. I will continue to pull from those dark places.

Activity: This is so fun!
My writing family tree:
Mom - Jacqueline Carey
Dad - Stephen King
Aunt - J. K. Rowling
Uncle - Neil Gaiman
Sister - Karen Marie Moning
Sister - Stacia Kane
Brother - Jim Butcher
Brother - Christopher Buehlman
Grandmother - Robin McKinley
Grandfather - Douglas Adams
Great Grandmother - Mary Shelley
Great Grandfather - Edgar Allan Poe

message 3: by Chrys (new) - added it

Chrys Fey (chrysfey) Christine wrote: "I didn't manage to get a copy of Chapter After Chapter, but I did read Page After Page. I did some of the exercises in it, and it was a lot of fun.

You've got quite a rich compost, Chrys!

1. So m..."

Yay! Someone replied to this discussion. *dances*

Childhoods contain so much that we can use in our stories.

We have the same aunt! lol I loved seeing your family tree. I had a hard time coming up with a uncle and or brother. I think it's because I read more books by female authors.

Christine Rains (christinerains) | 14 comments Chrys wrote: "Christine wrote: "I didn't manage to get a copy of Chapter After Chapter, but I did read Page After Page. I did some of the exercises in it, and it was a lot of fun.

Does that make us cousins? ;)

I do read more female authors than male, too, because I read a lot of paranormal romance. Yet when I found myself thinking about stories that really stuck with me and writers that have influenced me, I found it even between male and female authors.

message 5: by Chrys (new) - added it

Chrys Fey (chrysfey) Christine wrote: "Chrys wrote: "Christine wrote: "I didn't manage to get a copy of Chapter After Chapter, but I did read Page After Page. I did some of the exercises in it, and it was a lot of fun.

Does that make u..."

Cousins in writing. :)

That's great!