Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2 Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2 discussion

Format or Storyline?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Julia Please only reply if you gave this play three stars or less (or you gave a fourth star only for the sake of Harry Potter, or you really liked Scorpius).

For people (like me) who were disappointed with this play, what is it that made it unenjoyable? Was it the format, trying to read the really awkward stage directions or figuring out who was talking without reading the speaker tags each time? Was it the fact that the characters came off flat because it only showed what they said, not how they said it? Was it trying harder than you ever had to to imagine yourself in the Harry Potter world without any real descriptions?

Or was it that you actually didn't like the plot whatsoever? The fact that Albus, who wanted nothing more than to be a Gryffindor, ended up in the Slytherin? The way time-turners are re-written as catalysts for the butterfly effect? Voldemort's daughter, for goodness sake? What got you more? Format or Storyline?

Storyline all the way for me!

Lauren For me, it had nothing to do with format either. I've read books that are like scripts and had no problem with it. This was everything to do with plot and characters. I felt like Harry would never be the way he was. He always seemed warmer and kinder. I felt like Ron was a bumbling idiot and that's not who he was at all. When the plot twist came at the end about Voldemort's daugther, I just couldn't believe it. It seemed so hastily added in and I was really disappointed. I guess this added to the script thing, making it worse not better and ruined the immersion into the world. Storyline for me too.

Satsuma Yeah, definitely storyline. I didn't mind the format- I mean I would rather not script, but it was okay.

Julia In hind-sight, I think the story-line is so awful because it is a play format. If they meant it to be the next *novel*, they wouldn't have been trying so hard to just rehash everything from the old books. Time-turners, Polyjuice Potion, the Triwizard Tournament... these were all successfully used in the original stories as plot devices, but here, they were blatant reminders that we are reading/watching Harry's story in a novel that feels like it has absolutely no place in our precious Wizarding World canon.

So it wasn't a *huge* deal for me to read stage directions and quotes over full-out paragraphs, but the drastic change of format, I believe, is what made the story suffer so much--it had to adapt the story to play format, which, in turn, is what ruined the story.

Samantha 100% story line. I've read plays before, and while they aren't my favorite, I wouldn't hate a book because I read it as a play.... knowing that I would read it as a play.

Literally all the characters were out of character and the time turners were so ridiculous. There was a reason they got smashed.... And I just could not stop cracking up about Voldemort's daughter. I mean ..... come on.

Seriously thought this was fanfiction, and even as a fanfiction I've read MUCH better.

Julia Samantha wrote: "100% story line. I've read plays before, and while they aren't my favorite, I wouldn't hate a book because I read it as a play.... knowing that I would read it as a play.

Literally all the charac..."

Yes, I completely agree with you, Samantha! There are tons of effective ways to tell a story-- novels, plays, even the spoken word, and while we may prefer some platforms over others, the story itself needs to always carry through. Here, it failed miserably.

I can't understand how people are loving this story so much based on the things you have pointed out--out-of-character people, time-turners being brought back, and Voldemort's daughter. By the time it was revealed that Delphi was his child, I was so numb to the story already that I was just past the point of being angry.

And I think this story literally just ripped off everything that fan-fiction writers have already been using for the last decade-- time-turners fixing everything, a Potter child ending up in Slytherin, a daughter for Voldemort, and the celebration of "Voldemort Day." (Wait, "Voldemort Day" might have been the only original material!! That is so sad.)

Samantha Julia wrote: "(Wait, "Voldemort Day" might have been the only original material!! That is so sad.) "

hahahahahahahaha. I think you're right.

Julia Personally, I don’t really care for plays. I would much rather watch a movie! I find that plays are too overwhelming... they play to as many senses as possible, which I find to be too much. They also rely on the audience response, so I find that in general they have more jokes and comedy than a typical story and that the acting is done to the extreme. They are meant to be really funny, really dramatic, really exciting, right away, and for me that does not make for an enjoyable story experience.

Sure, a lot of people really do enjoy theatre, but it is just not a medium for me, and it just added one extra layer of annoyance to the story.

message 9: by C.A. (new) - rated it 1 star

C.A. *On Hiatus* For me it was all about the storyline that made me so disappointed in this book.

I usually don't like reading screenplays, and normally the format would be a nuisance for me, but the plot itself was such a mess I couldn't even notice the format.

message 10: by Keran (last edited May 20, 2018 05:55PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Keran the storyline, and the fact that all of the characters were completely drunk: "You're all humor-y and Albus-y. I love it." ~Scorpius

I mean, I liked Scorpius, but what kind of dialogue is that ****?

also, voldemort had a DAUGHTER! gasp! the dumbest thing i've ever heard of. I would've removed one star for Harry Potter's sake actually, because this piece of terribly-written fanfiction apparently gave him a fear of PIGEONS. ARE YOU SERIOUS

Julia Keran wrote: "the storyline, and the fact that all of the characters were completely drunk..."

Yes, exactly! I mean, Fantastic Beasts was a great movie, and the script was not *necessary* but it at least had a Harry Potter feel. This play just left me feeling empty.

Julia On another note, is anyone else not interested in seeing this play because you are, frankly, just not a fan of plays?? I was a sensitive kid, and I saw the play of Snow White when I was four, but I got a bit scared by the dark theatre and the dwarves walking down the aisles, and I haven't been really interested in theatre ever since. I have seen other plays in school, but I just find them to be too loud and overwhelming. So regardless of story, plays just don't work out for me.

Anyone else in this boat?

Samantha Keran wrote: "the storyline, and the fact that all of the characters were completely drunk: "You're all humor-y and Albus-y. I love it." ~Scorpius

I mean, I liked Scorpius, but what kind of dialogue is that ***..."

omg yes to this entire comment

Kristen Julia wrote: "Please only reply if you gave this play three stars or less (or you gave a fourth star only for the sake of Harry Potter, or you really liked Scorpius).

For people (like me) who were disappointed ..."

I wasn't crazy about the fact that it's a screenplay, but I got used to it pretty quickly. I still didn't really enjoy it, but at most, it brought my rating down 1 star.
I actually prefer more dialogue and less description in any story because I can picture things in my head just fine. A lot of the time descriptions are too lengthy and I get bored.
90% of the problem with this book was due to the screwed up plot and characters. It was just a mess.