Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Lock and Key
This topic is about Lock and Key
Lock and Key Discussions > Final Thoughts

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Now that you are done with the book, what do you think?

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) I loved how people evolved, I love the main character's voice, I liked the humor. Overall, I liked the book a lot.

I did think it would be slightly different. I thought there would be more with her in an abandoned state. I also thought, for 2 girls with such a traumatic background, that their healing was made to seem remarkably easy.

But I liked the writing style and story, and I do plan to read other books by this author.

message 3: by Mounica (last edited Aug 01, 2009 07:12PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mounica | 29 comments Well, I was actually expecting more. I thought the book was okay, but nothing as great as Dessen's other book, The Truth About Forever.

The story was predictable, and wasn't interesting enough to read to the end. I thought Ruby was boring and bland. I'm sure others could relate to her, but for me, she seemed to be ignorant about about others and their problems. Sure, she had a really bad background, but I don't know, I didn't really like her. Even at the end.

I really liked the different definitions Ruby got from different people on the word family, what it means to them and how they view that one word. Pretty interesting.

Jamie would definitely be my favorite character. I loved how he was the family guy, and the things he did for Ruby and Cora were pretty sweet. Other minor characters I liked were Harriet, Reggie, Cora, and Laney.

I absolutely loved how Kristy and Bert from The Truth About Forever showed up in this book! Really cute. =)

The opening/closing you heart symbolizing a lock and key isn't exactly the most unique metaphor. It's been used way too many times.

Anna Even though she was a minor character I liked Heather--perhaps she helped with all those causes bacause she couldn't help Nate?

It wasn't as dark as I was expecting (based on other YA books)--I guess I was expecting Nate to commit suicide, Ruby and/or Jamie make the moves on each other or Blake tried to molest Ruby or that he had attempted to molest Heather, etc. For me I liked that those things did not happen and that Ruby was given a chance at a better life.

At first it didn't seem realistic that Cora hadn't tried to find Ruby again after graduation, but by the end the manipulation of the mom on the sisters was evident--both wanted to believe that the mom would honor her word and wouldn't keep them apart, but let them choose.

I guess I found the dad to be totally spineless--who would leave a 5 and 15 year old in that situation?

message 5: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mounica wrote: "Well, I was actually expecting more. I thought the book was okay, but nothing as great as Dessen's other book, The Truth About Forever.

The story was predictable, and wasn't interest..."

So you didn't finish this book?

message 6: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I liked this book. I liked that for once I didn't read a book apart of a series or that the book was an exciting action adventure. It was just a story of someone's life.

I think the mother in this story is very tragic and to think that there are mothers out there like this. My friend has a mother like this sad to say. She herself just finished college last year and is now a nurse. Her two brothers though because a perfect image of the mother. In fact, one just found out he has HIV from drug needles. Very sad that these stories do exist.

I felt bad for Ruby when she went back to what she thought were her friends at her old school and they were such jerks. It just goes to show a true friend is very hard to find. And sometimes when you do find a friend it is an unexpected friend. Like Gervais. He is someone most people would not hang out with. He seems to have a nerd's personality, obviously looks different then everyone. Yet he seemed to turn out to be a great friend.

Personally I liked the key on the chain. It made me want to get one but my house key looks so normal. I'd need a cool key. One that looks antique. I loved the fish pond in the backyard too. Jamie's life seemed so busy with work, yet something so simple as a pond meant all the world to him.

Mounica | 29 comments Angie wrote: "Mounica wrote: "Well, I was actually expecting more. I thought the book was okay, but nothing as great as Dessen's other book, The Truth About Forever.

The story was predictable, and..."

Oh no, I did finish it. I didn't particularly enjoy reading the book, but I did read to the end.

message 8: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh OK... I wasn't sure if you didn't make it to the end. I like how Ruby followed her intuition and stayed away from Blake. I think too often people get a feeling inside and ignore it. Our intuition knows more then most people give it credit for.

Anna Do you think both Cora and Ruby disliked Blake due to the shared experience with their mom?

message 10: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Aug 05, 2009 09:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes I do think that. I loved it when Cora and Jamie when pool hopping into Blake's backyard. I did that once as a teen when I lived in TX and we did get caught.

Here is a great video for everyone to enjoy. It is about how Dessen got some inspiration for the book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKYorL...

Vicky (vicky497) I thought that the book was very like her other books. Kind of bland and kind of predictable. It had an interesting story line and I did want to see what happened at the end. Of all the books I have read by Sarah Dessen, I think this is one of my favourites.

Danielle (midnightsun458) | 3 comments Having read all of Dessen's other books, I actually thought this one was a bit darker than the others--especially with the drug use and Ruby's mom abandoning her. In that respect alone, I think I liked this one a lot and thought it was a touching story but definitely found myself wanting more from the relationship we saw develop between Nate and Ruby. For some reason, it just felt kind of flat and anti-climatic at the end. Not that I wanted their budding romance to be the center of the story but it did fall short of achieving some kind of closure for me.

Overall though, I loved it but not as much as Truth About Forever, but more so than Just Listen. If you were one who didn't like Lock and Key so much, I'd recommend trying another one of hers (maybe even Along for the Ride, which just came out?)

message 13: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I agree about Nate and Ruby. That story did fall kinda flat at the end. I like how Ruby worked for that lady in the mall. Though maybe Ruby should get some of the money from the key necklaces she made. Trademark them or something. :)

message 14: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Does she write sequels? At the end Nate was returning to the U and Ruby was also going to attend the U so perhaps she would pick up that storyline.

Danielle (midnightsun458) | 3 comments To my knowledge, she hasn't yet. But she will often have characters or references from her other novels show up in newer stories since all of her books take place in Lakeview or near it.

Celestasaurus Danielle wrote: "To my knowledge, she hasn't yet. But she will often have characters or references from her other novels show up in newer stories since all of her books take place in Lakeview or near it. "

Really? Cool. I haven't noticed that. . .

Danielle, I agree with you on your earlier post. The ending did fall flat, which isn't typical Sarah Dessen. I was kind of disappointed with that.

Now what did I think? I didn't like this book as much as I liked her other books, but I did love the characters--Jamie and Nate especially--more than normal.

message 17: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

The link in message 10 shows Dessen in the town that inspired Lakeview.

I really liked how Dessen tried to connect with young adults. Like using Ume.com. That is perfect for today's YAs!

Danielle (midnightsun458) | 3 comments "I really liked how Dessen tried to connect with young adults. Like using Ume.com. That is perfect for today's YAs!"

So true! When I first read that I had to crack up because I thought it was so relevant to "our" world. Although I've read many other YA books that incorporate internet lingo and technology into the story, I don't think they've made me believe it quite as much I did in this story. Maybe in part it was because Dessen didn't go as over the top with it so that it seemed kind of out of place and superficial. But, largely, I think it had a lot to do with the fact that it was seemed like it was just another part of this whole other world and place that Dessen created. Which is definitely one thing I loved about Lock and Key (and Dessen in general!).

message 19: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I agree, it didn't seem like she was trying too hard to be a teen. Like even describing Ruby's room. So unlike a normal teen's room. There was nothing in there that even said who she was. Just a plain room.

Jennifer (javallone23) | 20 comments I thought that overall it was a great story. I agree with many of the other posts about it being a "flat ending". I thought that if they had some more closure on Ruby and Nate's relationship/friendship, it would have helped with the ending.

I also thought the pond was such a great tie in with the story and how Ruby had her own fish who she related with. I think that this was a very metaphor to the story in general.

I doubt she'll continue the story with Nate and Ruby at the U. Even though I would love to read further. I mean it would be nice to see if Ruby's mom comes back into her life clean and sober. Or how she would deal with the whole issue of keeping Cora from Ruby.

message 21: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ I liked this book … not quite so much as some of Sarah Dessen's other books, but it was good. My fave of hers is Just Listen. :]

London | 41 comments I loved this book... its a close with Just Listen for me. I loved how Cora really tried to find Ruby but we didn't find out till later. The whole book kept me wanting to read on... I loved the relationship with Nate and Ruby and I was so happy she kept pushing him to admit that his dad was a problem. I am planning to read another Dessen book soon. :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know what to think about this book. I read it just about right after it came out, and I remember it being so slow for me. Im a big Sarah Dessen fan so I was super excited to read this, but by the end of it I just felt that it lacked so many different elements her other books have. I felt like this book was sort of rushed, and I also didnt really like any of the characters >.> But besides that, It was a good light read.

Amber | 34 comments I was hooked at page #1. It was very easy to read and I just loved the story. I might read more from this author.

alisonwonderland (Alison) | 30 comments This was the third of Dessen's books that I've read. (I just finished my fourth, Keeping the Moon, as well.) I really liked Lock and Key. I'd heard someone say that the ending was disappointing so I was expecting that - but I thought the the ending was terrific. It gives hope for the future, but uncertainty too - so we can imagine it in a lot of different ways (or Dessen can write about it, which I would love). I like Dessen's writing style, especially that it's easy to read. She doesn't avoid difficult topics, but she isn't in-your-face about them. I like the symbolism and metaphors.

message 26: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I also find her style easy to read. It makes me real curious to try another one of her books!

Adriana (msbibliotecaria) | 29 comments I enjoyed it, so far the most out of what I have read of hers (Keeping the Moon & Just Listen). I will continue to read her books - especially The Truth about Forever, which I've noticed gets mentioned the most. I liked how Ruby evolved and how those around her recognized that she needed help, but also kind of let her find her own way. I really liked how Cora and Ruby grew closer. I also enjoyed the jewelry lady, I could just picture her and her anal ways. The literal symbol of the key around her neck was a little cheesy, but at the same time, a great way to brand the book and sell some necklaces! :)

Michelle (pinklets) | 23 comments I finished the book last night (Aug. 31st)... so it was still within the time frame (sorry the post isn't)! Overall, I really liked the book. I thought both the characters and the concept of "family" were very relatable. Even if you weren't abondoned or neglected by a family member, you still had your own interpretation of family. I found myself pondering upon my definition throughout the reading. I also like the concept of UME, because I am totally addicted to facebook, and before that it was myspace. I'm sure young adults everywhere (or just "regular" adults like me, hehe) were making that connection as well. I love when literature is modern... it will get more kids reading!

Even though I disliked Blake, I wish Dessen had developed this character more. I felt like he wasn't really present until I was more than halfway through the book. He had such a big impact on the lives of both Ruby and Nate; I wish I knew more about why he chose to do the things he did.

Lastly, I really enjoyed Roscoe! I think he embodied the spirit of most little dogs I know. Frightened of such simple things like an appliance, yet they toss the fear aside to do their "duty." Too cute!

message 29: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am so glad you mentioned Roscoe. It is amazing what animals can bring to our lives!