Mock Newbery 2022 discussion

Book of the Month- 2010 > August Read - Marcelo in the Real World

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (last edited Aug 01, 2009 12:04PM) (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 560 comments Mod
What did you think of Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork?

message 2: by Kristen (new)

I thought Jasmine was a very complex character. She was young, strong, independent, but still made a few mistakes in her life. I would like to know what happens in her future.

message 3: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 107 comments I've just started it, but I think that, with the major character 17 years old, that is too old for Newbery consideration. So far, the book FEELS old to me - even the parents' concerns are those usual for an older child. Will keep reading, though.

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 66 comments Do you think this could be considered for the Printz?

message 5: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 107 comments It could be. I think it is more appropriate there. Personally, I am somewhat tired of YA novels right now. I am kind of put off by the need for some dire life circumstance - rape, coming out, divorce, eating disorder, pregnancy, etc.

I am now about halfway through Marcelo and I hold by my opinion. It is just too old for the Newbery.

message 6: by Patty (new)

Patty (loonfern) | 11 comments Beautiful. I really enjoyed this book. I definitely feel this is a Printz qualifier and not a Newbery.

message 7: by Kristen (new)

I agree, it's not a book for children. Which makes me wonder what age do you think this book is appropriate for?

message 8: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 107 comments I think it is appropriate for older teens, the ones who can questioning society's expectations of them. They need to have an understanding of sexuality and choosing their own path, but they need to be past the "protest at any restriction" stage.

I think one of the strengths of this book is seeing the world through Marcelo's eyes and determining what is best for him. Teens have to be able to focus outside of their own experience, which is difficult even for adults. But I think it is the best challenge of this book.

message 9: by Kristen (new)

Did anyone read All the Broken Pieces? I really loved it. Very seldom does a book grab me the way this one did.

message 10: by Library (new)

Library Maven (libmaven) | 17 comments I really enjoyed Marcelo ... but think it is more appropiate for the Printz list than the Newbery because the mature themes fall into the developmental level of high school students. Because the Newbery Medal criteria includes readers "up to and including the age of 14," this title's focus on characters 17 and older navigating the ethics of the adult work world, I wouldn't support it for the Newbery.