Chicks On Lit discussion

Girl Talk > Completely Random

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy (new)

Joy (joy85) | 94 comments Okay, this has nothing to do with books, but I just needed another opinion!

I was listening to Santana's Evil Ways and I suddenly found myself singing during the chorus "Love Potion # 9". I know the two songs are completely different, but does anyone think that the chorus of both songs are very similar?

Sorry for this if this is totally out of sync with the group!

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1243 comments Joy - yup - think you're right - in music talk = m,r,d,l,s,l. Love Santana and never noticed that before! LOL

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I find that a lot with the openings of songs. I'll hear the start of a song and crank it up because I think it's a fav song and then it veers off into something different. So annoying!

message 4: by Joy (new)

Joy (joy85) | 94 comments Okay, good, so it's not just me! Thanks.

Nancy- what's with the letters? I'm confused...I thought I knew music talk, considering I played flute, but I don't know those letters- are they chords?

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1243 comments Joy wrote: "Okay, good, so it's not just me! Thanks.

Nancy- what's with the letters? I'm confused...I thought I knew music talk, considering I played flute, but I don't know those letters- are they chords?"
They are pitch/solfege. Mi, re, do, la, so, la. The hook to each tune has a similar, but slightly different rhythm, but viritually the same pitches with some embellishment.

message 6: by Joy (new)

Joy (joy85) | 94 comments ahhhhh- thanks! I'm totally illiterate when it comes to music...I didn't play flute for that long (had to give it up in middle school). Thanks for all the info!

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1243 comments Joy, I'm sorry!! HA HA - kudos for you for playing for a while! I cracked up at your original post and the old brain immediately analyzes the situation. I teach music - have done all levels K-12 at various times. Half my career secondary and now doing elementary classroom. The last nine years I have spent my evenings playing rehearsals and pit orchestra for musicals. What a wonderful job I have!

message 8: by Joy (new)

Joy (joy85) | 94 comments That's awesome! I'm also trying to be a teacher (clearly not music!) and am really struggling because of the market today...at least I have some experience, though! Thanks again.