North Yorkshire Library Service Book Group discussion

Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance
This topic is about Dreams from My Father
Dreams from my Father > Thoughts on the book

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (last edited Mar 19, 2017 12:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Victoria Turvey-Sauron (radiantwrites) | 53 comments Mod
I listened to the audio book read by Barack Obama himself. What a pleasure - he reads expressively, well, tenderly and with humour, and even does accents, notably of his family in Kenya.

It's touching, intimate and honest. He paints a world that is very tangible, even as some of it, such as growing up as a child semi-feral, barefoot in the dust in rural Indonesia, is profoundly surprising to an Obama novice. I had no idea he'd had such an upbringing, and it goes a long way to explain a politician with an open mind and global attitude. His Muslim stepfather and experiences across the divides of race growing up with a white mother and black father, his coming to terms with the cultural and both small and large scale politics of his background and the stories that make us who we are, inform the subsequent career of a person who, fundamentally, makes a life's work out of trying to see the point of view of others.

It's subtle, intelligent, thoughtful, and his instinctive empathy and generosity and his fundamental fact that he so obviously cares about the flawed beauty of the human race are all the more tragic given what is happening to the world now. The audio book ends with an extract from the speech he gave when elected senator, full of such hope and vision it brings you to tears and makes you want to fight what is happening now in the world, and hope for better for the future. The audacity of hope.