Bibliophile Babes Book Club discussion

VOTE NOW for our 6-month reading list!

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate (Lillytales) (lillytales) | 122 comments Mod
Hi book clubbers! Hope you're all well.

As mentioned in our previous post re: book club re-group, many of you were keen to produce a six-month long book club reading list where the book for each month will be assigned for the next six months. This allows us to be organised and to know which book is coming up next and so we can add them to our book shop shopping list!

Sara and I have been chatting about how best to curate this list and because we want to still have a voting system, we would like you to browse the following list of 20 books and pick your top 6. The books with the most mentions will be slotted into our book club for April - September (we will announce which book is for which month soon after). We'd like to leave the voting open throughout March so everyone has an opportunity to cast their votes.

Here is the list of 20 books:
A Girl Is a Half-formed Thing by Eimear McBride
The Forgetting Time by Sharon Guskin
Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin
The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena
Shelter in Place by Alexander Maksik
Join by Steve Toutonghi
The Wonder by Emma Donoghue
Spare and Found Parts by Sarah Maria Griffin
The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler
Grief Is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter
The Orpheus Clock The Search for My Family’s Art Treasures Stolen by the Nazis by Simon Goodman
The Mothers by Brit Bennett
Moonglow by Michael Chabon
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Down the Hume by Peter Polites
The Lonely Hearts Hotel by Heather O'Neill
Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf
Swing Time by Zadie Smith
Anchor Point by Alice Robinson

Take your time to read through the blurbs, come up with a list of your top 6 picks and comment them under this post. We're really looking forward to hearing which books you're excited by for this year! As always, looking forward to hearing your thoughts :)

Kate x

message 2: by Kate (new)

I'll get the ball rolling :) Here are my top 6 picks for the next 6 months of our book club:

1. Homegoing
2. The Mothers
3. The Lonely Hearts Hotel
4. The Wonder
5. The Book of Speculation
6. Moonglow

(Apparently I like books that start with 'The') Hehe x

message 3: by Claire (new)

Claire (cmoo053) Great list team! A lot of variety there, I found it hard to nail it down to 6...
1- Swing Time
2- Moonglow
3- Anchor Point
4- Down the Hume
5- The Forgetting Time
6- Shelter in Place

I really wanted to squeeze The Couple Next Door in there haha!
Kate, I hope for everyone else's sake The Mothers makes it. I read it over summer and LOVED IT.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Hey Claire, thanks for casting your votes! So glad you liked the list and are excited about the books!

Kate x

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara Penny | 86 comments Mod
Thanks for putting the list together, Kate :)
It was indeed hard to pick only 6! But as Grief Is the Thing with Feathers is only a short one I thought I might be able to sneak it in in my own time anyway :P

1 - The Lonely Hearts Hotel
2 - The Mothers
3 - The Book of Speculation
4 - The Couple Next Door
5 - Homegoing
6 - Join

message 6: by Justė (last edited Mar 07, 2017 01:06AM) (new)

Justė (justy_sto) | 1 comments Excited to join this book group!
I've already read a few books on this list but I don't mind talking about them if it gets picked. My list would be:
1. The Mothers
2. Swing Time
3. The Lonely Hearts Hotel
4. Homegoing
5. The Orpheus Clock
6. Moonglow

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments Hi, I just joined this book group (from Atlanta, GA, USA) after following you for a while on Instagram (thank goodness for Insta and Goodreads which lead me to like-minded bibliophiles!) I would vote:

1. Homegoing
2. The Mothers
3. Grief is the Thing with Feathers
4. Our Souls at Night
5. The Wonder

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments 5. The Wonder
6. No preference

Sorry, not sure what happened there and I couldn't edit my first post

message 9: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (nanawintour) | 1 comments Such a good list.

1. Homegoing
2. Moonglow
3. The Wonder
4. The Lonely Hearts Hotel
5. Americanah
6. The Mothers

message 10: by Kit (new)

Kit (sortafairytales) honestly, i want to read them all! but here are my half dozen:

1. the lonely hearts hotel
2. the book of speculation
3. moonglow
4. swing time
5. grief is the thing with feathers
6. the mothers

message 11: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (ohthathayley) Okay, my top 6 would be, in no particular order:
The Wonder
Grief is the Thing with Feathers
Americanah
The Couple Next Door
Swing Time
The Forgetting Time

message 12: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Bowman (captivatedbywords) | 1 comments This was so hard to narrow done to just 6! But here are my top 6 picks in no particular order:

1. Swing Time
2. Homegoing
3. Moonglow
4. The Mothers
5. The Wonder
6. The Book of Speculation

message 13: by Michelle_Mck (new)

Michelle_Mck | 2 comments I have read 5 of these already so my votes are
1. Down the Hume
2.Americanah
3.Anchor Point
4.Grief is thing with Feathers

I can highly recommend Homegoing and The Mothers

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen (theserendipitousone) In no particular order:
Americanah
Swing Time
The Mothers
Moonglow
The Lonely Hearts Hotel
The Book of Speculation

Some great sounding books on this list!

message 15: by Kate (new)

Maria contacted me via inbox to share her top 6. Here they are:

1. Swing Time
2. The Lonely Hearts Hotel
3. Moonglow
4. The Mothers
5. The Book of Speculation
6. Shelter in Place

message 16: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollystoddart) What an interesting list!

1. join
2. grief is a thing with feathers
3. The wonder
4. the orpheus clock
5. the mothers
6. the book of speculation

message 17: by Kate (new)

Hey everyone,

First up I want to say thanks so much to everyone who voted in our reading list poll! Sara and I were so chuffed to get your positive feedback and we’re stoked that you liked our list of titles – even if some of you had read some of the books already!

Now that the voting is over, we can announce our list of book club books for the next seven months! Yes, you read correctly, seven! We had a draw! So instead of booting one of the books out, we’ve decided to keep all the top winners in and create a list for the next seven months.

Here they are:

April: The Mothers
May: The Wonder
June: Homegoing
July: The Book of Speculation
August: Moonglow
September: The Lonely Hearts Hotel
October: Swing Time

So did your favourite books make the list? We hope so! I’m really happy with this list and I’m excited to head to the bookshop and pick up the whole stack (and to read them with you guys, of course!)

Our book club officially starts back in full force as of tomorrow (April 1). I’d like to create a more interactive space on here throughout the month, as well as at the end of the month when we reconvene to chat about how we found the book. So feel free to visit this page throughout the month and share your thoughts with us – but please, no spoilers!

Let me know how you’re feeling about our reading list and the upcoming months of reading. As always, I’d love to hear from you.

Happy reading.

Kate x

message 18: by Claire (new)

Claire (cmoo053) Woo looks great! I'll be eagerly awaiting you guys all reading The Mothers!
Really looking forward to getting back into it, and it's great to have such a big list in advance

message 19: by Kate (new)

Thanks Claire! I'm really looking forward to it. Would love to hear your thoughts on it at the end of the month too :) x

message 20: by Kit (new)

Kit (sortafairytales) ! ..what a fantastic note to end march with ^^;; all but one of my picks made the list & i'm more than cool with that; looking forward to digging in. i haven't read any of these so here's to adventure!

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hi all,

I'm currently traveling around Australia at the moment so I've been very quiet on the book club front of late (plus I've been reading a few dense books). I was meaning to vote but am happy to read along with this list, I have an e-reader so should be able to get the titles easily. Looking forward to it!

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kit wrote: "! ..what a fantastic note to end march with ^^;; all but one of my picks made the list & i'm more than cool with that; looking forward to digging in. i haven't read any of these so here's to advent..."

So happy to hear that Kit! :)

message 23: by Kate (new)

Sarah wrote: "Hi all,

I'm currently traveling around Australia at the moment so I've been very quiet on the book club front of late (plus I've been reading a few dense books). I was meaning to vote but am happy..."

Hi Sarah, how amazing for you! I hope you have an awesome time travelling Aus. We're chuffed you can read along with us!

message 24: by Maria (new)

Maria Principe-falcione | 1 comments Very excited! All but one of my picks made it which is great! I'm looking forward to reading with you all!!

message 25: by Susan (last edited Mar 31, 2017 05:13AM) (new)

Susan Elizabeth (susan_e_lizabeth) | 3 comments I haven't participated in any of the past book club discussions, but I definitely want in on this next round! All 6 of these books sounds fantastic, and I just put The Mothers on hold at the library yesterday -- good timing! :-D

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I'm looking forward to hopping on this reading wagon!

message 27: by Kate (new)

Margaret wrote: "I'm looking forward to hopping on this reading wagon!"

Hi Margaret, we'd love for you to take part! Welcome :)

message 28: by S. (new)

S. Hartlooper (tiepmasheen) | 13 comments Just ordered The Book of Speculation and Moonglow, happy to participate in the months July and August, and maybe even after that. Hopefully I can read a full book in a month :)! Looking forward!

message 29: by S. (new)

S. Hartlooper (tiepmasheen) | 13 comments Anyone here still reading :p?

message 30: by Claire (new)

Claire (cmoo053) Yes definitely! Please join us!

message 31: by Sara (new)

S. wrote: "Anyone here still reading :p?"

Yes we are :) I'm hoping to start The Book of Speculation next week!

message 32: by Kate (new)

S. wrote: "Anyone here still reading :p?"

Hello! We are :) I'm about to post some discussion questions for our June book club read 'Homegoing' in the forum. If you've read along with us, feel free to have a chat over there. Or, as Sara said, join us for the read of The Book of Speculation during July!

message 33: by S. (new)

S. Hartlooper (tiepmasheen) | 13 comments Claire wrote: "Yes definitely! Please join us!"

I started the Book of Speculation yesterday. Already really into it!

message 34: by Sara (new)

S. wrote: "Claire wrote: "Yes definitely! Please join us!"

I started the Book of Speculation yesterday. Already really into it!"

Great to hear you're enjoying it! I'm finding it a very easy read to get into myself, despite the story being split into two timelines. Not at all what I was expecting! :)

message 35: by S. (new)

S. Hartlooper (tiepmasheen) | 13 comments Me too, now arund page 150 and getting into it again, after a few pages where I thought it was getting boring. Really curious about all the relationships in the story coming together :D!

message 36: by Claire (new)

Claire (cmoo053) Hi Team,
Are we still reading The Lonely Hearts Hotel this month?

message 37: by Sara (new)

Claire wrote: "Hi Team,
Are we still reading The Lonely Hearts Hotel this month?"

Yes, absolutely! I'll have to put in a big effort to finish it by the end of the month this time :P

message 38: by S. (new)

S. Hartlooper (tiepmasheen) | 13 comments I'm not going to make it :( I'm sorry. Was really running behind on my reading and read another book in between. However, still planning to read this, so will comment on the discussion a little later :)

message 39: by Claire (new)

Claire (cmoo053) Sara wrote: "Claire wrote: "Hi Team,
Are we still reading The Lonely Hearts Hotel this month?"

Yes, absolutely! I'll have to put in a big effort to finish it by the end of the month this time :P"

Did anyone else read The Lonely Hearts Hotel?

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Sorry, I have been a bad book club participant and haven’t read the last few months books, but I have read Swing Time and looking forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts!