BOOK-A-HOLICS discussion

Group Books Under Discussion > Group Interview with Diane Chamberlain

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina | 26 comments I just looked at Diane Chamberlain's website and wow...lots to read. So many books, so little cha-ching! I am definitely going to find a way to get a copy of The Courage Tree, though. Sounds like something right up my alley. Thanks, Wes, for making arrangements to have her on as a guest. I just hope the time is right. I may be a little, shall we say, incoherent, that day. I have a date with the dentist and he said there was Vicodin and/or Percocet to follow....so......Hey, could make for interesting conversation

message 2: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) | 473 comments Mod
Get ready folks get excited our first author will be on here live tomorrow night from 7pm to 9pm est.
She may get on early and stay late but you guys should come by and check it out.

message 3: by Wes, Moderator (new)

get your questions ready

message 4: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 26, 2009 06:49PM) (new)

[image error]"

http://dianechamberlain.com/

message 5: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Books by Diane Chamberlain

From Mira Books: Breaking the Silence -- December 2009 (reissue; orig. 1999)

Secrets She Left Behind -- June 2009 (sequel to Before the Storm) ISBN-13:978-0778326151

The Courage Tree -- April 2009 (reissue; orig. 2000) ISBN-13:978-0778327417

Before the Storm-- 2008 ISBN-13:978-0778325413

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes -- 2008 ISBN-13: 978-0778325314

The Bay at Midnight -- 2007 ISBN-13: 978-0778323419

Her Mother’s Shadow-- 2006;
Book # 3 in Keeper of the
Light trilogy ISBN-13:978-0778321286

Kiss River— 2005; Book # 2 in Keeper of the Light trilogy ISBN-13:978-0778320029

Keeper of the Light—reissued 2002, orig. 1992 -- Book # 1 in Keeper of the Light trilogy ISBN-13:978-1551669595

Cypress Point— 2002 (watch for 2010 reissue) ISBN-10:1551668823

Summer’s Child – 2000 —(watch for 2010 reissue) ISBN-13: 978-1551665092

From Harper Collins,
out of print

The Escape Artist—1997
Reflection—1995
Brass Ring—1994
Fire and Rain—1993
Secret Lives—1991
Lovers andStrangers—1993
Private Relations—1993

Short Story
“The Dreamer”—in The Journey Home (anthology), ImaJinn Press, 2005

message 6: by Monika (new)

Monika (marriedmurder) | 11 comments this should be awesome! can't wait to see the Qs and As!

What's the process? do you want the q's on here before she gets on?
Sorry, I haven't done anything like this in the past, and I'm excited =0)

message 7: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Monika wrote: "this should be awesome! can't wait to see the Qs and As!

What's the process? do you want the q's on here before she gets on?
Sorry, I haven't done anything like this in the past, and I'm excited..."

Yes get your questions together ask one before she gets here and then ask another after she responds to keep the flow going.. The less dead time the better for her. If it starts getting real busy then ask more at once so that it does not get confusing.

message 8: by Monika (last edited Aug 27, 2009 08:51AM) (new)

Monika (marriedmurder) | 11 comments Hi Diane,

What was your process in starting your first book?
In your bio it says you just started writing one day, but if you can give some examples(did you outline the story, did you just write random ideas and form them into chapters later etc)?
I know everyone's story is different, but I think it gives readers a better sense of the person they are allowing to enter their hearts, minds and imaginations.

Also, your characters come to life so well, are they based on people you know, or are they just part of your wonderful ability to create?

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane Chamberlain (dianechamberlain) | 38 comments Hi Monika, I'm happy to be here! With my first book, I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I started writing it as a hobby, and four years later I had a complete manuscript. I didn't outline--I didn't know about outlining. I wrote scenes that were in my mind, and then began stringing them together. I finally took a class and the instructor told us to figure out the ending of our books first. That helped me focus the rest of the book. But the story itself had a lot of problems, and the book was rejected for a year before I was willing to make major changes to the story. Once I did, it sold. Yippee!

message 10: by Gail (new)

Gail | 24 comments Hi Diane,
My daughters and I both enjoy your books.

Do you schedule "writing" time or write when you feel inspired?

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane Chamberlain (dianechamberlain) | 38 comments Monika, onto your second question about characters. No, i've never based any on people I know. When writing that first book, I originally made my protagonist "just like me." She looked like me and did the same job I was doing at the time, etc, but I found I couldn't make her do anything I wouldn't do, so I turned her into someone very unlike me and then she took off.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Hi Diane, (Gail is my mom)
Do you have a personal favorite book that you have written?

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane Chamberlain (dianechamberlain) | 38 comments Hi Gail! I'm so glad you and your daughters are enjoying my books. Because I write on contract, I can't wait until I'm inspired, so I treat my writing as a job--a more than full-time job. I often work all day, and as I get closer to deadline, into the night. I'm lucky, though, that I love what I'm doing. Otherside, it would be miserable!

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane Chamberlain (dianechamberlain) | 38 comments Jennifer, my favorite is usually my most recent, so right now, that's Secrets She Left Behind. I do think, though, that one of my very best is The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes, and many of my readers seem to agree with me.

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane Chamberlain (dianechamberlain) | 38 comments cont'
My personal all-time favorite, though, is my third book, Secret Lives, because it's the book where I finally found my "voice" as a writer, and where I learned to weave surprises and tension into the story.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I LOVE the CeeCee Wilkes book! It was my first one that I read. I was at Target and needed a book and it looked interesting and I have been hooked since!

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer You probably get this alot, but how do you feel about the comparisons of you to Jodie Picoult?

message 18: by Diane (new)

Diane Chamberlain (dianechamberlain) | 38 comments I was so thrilled when Target selected CeeCee as its BookClub pick last summer. I gained so many new readers from that exposure.

message 19: by Gail (new)

Gail | 24 comments Do you know anyone who has a child afflicted with fetal Alcohol syndrome like you wrote about? He seemed so believable

message 20: by Diane (new)

Diane Chamberlain (dianechamberlain) | 38 comments Jennifer, I have mixed feelings about it. I think the comparison has gained me lots of younger readers who love Jodi, but there are many middle aged and older readers who don't care for her at all, and unless they're already familiar with my books, they are reluctant to try them. I think it's helped me (career wise) more than hurt in the long run. Do you think my books are like hers?

message 21: by Diane (new)

Diane Chamberlain (dianechamberlain) | 38 comments Gail, my former career was a clinical social worker in hospitals and in a private psychotherapy practice. I worked with some kids who had FAS. When I first "heard" Andy's voice as I was writing about him, I realized that he had FAS.

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer That is interesting about the older readers. I see some similarities between the two of you, but there are definite differences. I actually like the both of you. You both have the fun surprise endings that I like.

message 23: by Gail (new)

Gail | 24 comments I love your books and I am older...(57 :)).
Have any of your books been translated to Spanish?

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer How did you get out of social work and into writing? What do you prefer? Ever plan on going back?

message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane Chamberlain (dianechamberlain) | 38 comments I'm glad you like both of us, Jennifer.

message 26: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Thanks so much for Coming Diane

message 27: by Wes, Moderator (new)

I have some questions one of the other members wanted me to ask for them since they could not make it I guess they will read it later.

message 28: by Diane (new)

Diane Chamberlain (dianechamberlain) | 38 comments Yes, some of my books are in Spanish, although I'm afraid I don't know which ones. I think I'm in about 12 different languages now.

message 29: by Gail (new)

Gail | 24 comments I know you were avid reader ( as are Jennifer and I) as a child and that you enjoyed Victoria Holt ( me too) and Sinclair Lewis . Do you have any favorite authors and/or books now?

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Do you like writing characters in continuing books or do you prefer new characters? Does it depend on your contract?

message 31: by Diane (new)

Diane Chamberlain (dianechamberlain) | 38 comments J, I started that first book when I was working in a hospital, and writing became an obsession. When I was working on my 4th book, I realized I couldn't continue to have both careers--I just didn't have the time. I had to make a choice. It was tough, and for a long time I really missed my clients (mostly teens). But of course I'm very happy I made the choice I did.

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer We're glad you did too :)

message 33: by Diane (new)

Diane Chamberlain (dianechamberlain) | 38 comments Gail, I've read some great books lately. The 13th Tale. The Help. Belong to Me. Sarah's Key, which I'm reading right now. I usually like women authors, but I love Wally Lamb and Pat Conroy.

message 34: by Gail (new)

Gail | 24 comments Are you using voice recognition technology now? What a wonderful invention. (I loved Sarah's Key)

message 35: by Gail (new)

Gail | 24 comments Are you using voice recognition technology now? What a wonderful invention. (I loved Sarah's Key)

message 36: by Diane (new)

Diane Chamberlain (dianechamberlain) | 38 comments J, of the 19 books I've written, only a few have been linked. The Keeper of the Light trilogy, and Before the Storm and Secrets She Left Behind. I actually prefer to write stand-alone books. When I finish a book, I usually feel ready to leave those folks alone and move onto something fresh. With the Lockwood family in Before the Storm, though, I felt as though I wasn't quite finished with their story, though, which is why I wrote the second book.

message 37: by Diane (new)

Diane Chamberlain (dianechamberlain) | 38 comments Hmm, my computer momentarily imploded, but I'm back.

message 38: by Diane (new)

Diane Chamberlain (dianechamberlain) | 38 comments Gail, I haven't needed to use voice recogntion software for a number of years, although I keep it on my computer "just in case." My hands have been much better since the "good drugs" have come along for Rheumatoid Arthritis."

message 39: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer My computer also imploded but I am back as well.

So I saw on your site that you have two shelties--are you an animal lover as well?

message 40: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Congrats on the improvement with RA!!

message 41: by Diane (new)

Diane Chamberlain (dianechamberlain) | 38 comments Thanks, Jennifer. I think we must have overtaxed GoodReads for a moment.

message 42: by Diane (new)

Diane Chamberlain (dianechamberlain) | 38 comments Yes, I'm an animal lover. Especially dogs. I'd have a cat, too, if I didn't have so many allergic family members! My shelties are little goofballs.

message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer And of course I must ask... are you working on a new book right now?

message 44: by Gail (new)

Gail | 24 comments Jennifer has a goofball cat, Josie and I have a goofball cat, Shadow. Shelties are so cute!

message 45: by Diane (new)

Diane Chamberlain (dianechamberlain) | 38 comments I turned in a new book (to my editor) 2 weeks ago. It's nerve wracking, the waiting for a response, not knowing if she'll love it or hate it. Fortunately, she loves it! She sent a long revision letter a few days ago, which is typical. Some things she said I agree with and others I don't, so I'll have to decide what changes to make that will please us both.

message 46: by Wes, Moderator (new)

We read The Thirteenth Tale
by Diane Setterfield as a group read I thought it was ok but not a top 10 by any means.

message 47: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I work in Forensics with DNA so if you ever decide to branch out a little I would be happy to help with your research and explanations of DNA :)

message 48: by Diane (new)

Diane Chamberlain (dianechamberlain) | 38 comments That book (the one I turned in) will be out next June. I'm already starting on the one after that. I'm on a book-every-nine-months contract right now.

message 49: by Wes, Moderator (new)

This is Christina's questions she could not make it tonight but I told her I would post them if you have already answered a similar question then skip it.

What/Who was your source of inspiration for writing the Courage Tree?

How has your background in adolescent psychotherapy and your studies in special education shaped you as a writer?

How has growing up in Plainfield, New Jersey found its way into your books?

If you HAD to pick a favorite of your 19 books, which would it be and why?

What is the best advice you have ever received with regard to writing?

What advice would you give aspiring writers?

What is your greatest source of inspiration for character development?

Which character did you have the most difficult time developing and why?

Do you have a favorite character? If so, who?

message 50: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer So how long from this point will it take for the book to actually be released? (approximately)

« previous 1