The Bone Season Series by Samantha Shannon – A Read Along discussion

The Mime Order (The Bone Season, #2)
This topic is about The Mime Order
MIME ORDER Wk 2 - Ch. 10-19 > PROS: Open forum

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shae, Mollisher (new) - added it

Shae McDaniel (shaelit) | 67 comments Mod
We're really moving along now, guys! Whether you're flying ahead or falling behind, don't worry. These threads will stay open as long as you need them--just don't look too far ahead, since we're going to be spoilertastic up in here.

SO. Paige is still working through what exactly happened to Hector. We've met the Unnatural Assembly. Jaxon is... being Jaxon. Terebell is... being Terebell. Warden is back (yay!) And someone has really turned the pressure up on our dear girl. That's a lot to work through in nine chapters, but we have plenty of space here, and we all know what's coming next. Discuss!

Alix | 70 comments I really enjoy this section of the book. I like seeing the Rephaim emerge and learning more about the Ranthen. We see in this section that Warden is quite different from most of the Rephaim. The first time I read the book, I was very surprised, based on what little we saw of her in TBS, I foolishly assumed Terebell and the Ranthen would be well...nicer. In reality, Terebell is actually rather frightening (though I still kind of like her). I find Errai terribly amusing because he takes himself and everything so seriously. I couldn't help snickering at all of them when they started sanctimoniously ranting about humankind's obsession with money in the music hall. They're clearly trying to throw their weight around because they know they can't do anything without human help, which really rankles them. They're going to be in for quite a shocker dealing with humans who are not 'self-loathing'.

Rhiannon (fire-to-the-poppies) | 23 comments The Mime Order is my favourite book (that's published) so far. Everything in it is so good, you learn so much in this book and you meet some people who quickly become favourites (I'm looking at you, Ognena). I also love being back in London, I think it's really cool seeing all these landmarks and knowing that, one day, you can visit them!

message 4: by Angelbis (new) - added it

Angelbis | 3 comments I couldn't help myself and read TMO at lightening speed and have finished it... Now I have to bide my time until the new book is released.

I agree with everyone that I had expected Terebell and the other Ranthen to be nicer. This book reels out the information slowly in a way that really allows the story to build. Like others I had various theories that had to be thrown out and now that I (sort of) know what to expect it is easier to see how it all fits together. I tend not to reread books but rereading books in a series before a new release is always so gratifying!

Rhiannon (fire-to-the-poppies) | 23 comments I actually find it really interesting that everyone who's posted thought the Ranthen were going to be nicer. I sort of had this feeling they were still going to be jerks, not as bad though. Not like at Sheol 1 but still pretty nasty

Candace | 22 comments Even on my re-read of this I find myself thinking, "WTH Ranthen, why don't you like Paige?!" When I think about the overall plot and characterization, however, I love that Shannon has done this. How often do we get a book like this where the characters are put into two categories: GOOD and BAD. Rarely do we get to see characters who have good and bad in them; they may be on our side but that doesn't mean we have to completely like them.

Forgot how much I disliked Jaxon; wish I remembered what's going on with Eliza. Somehow, I really don't remember much from Mime Order..which makes the re-read that much better!

message 7: by Shae, Mollisher (new) - added it

Shae McDaniel (shaelit) | 67 comments Mod
Candace wrote: "How often do we get a book like this where the characters are put into two categories: GOOD and BAD. Rarely do we get to see characters who have good and bad in them; they may be on our side but that doesn't mean we have to completely like them."

I, too, am tickled by all this "nice Ranthen" talk, but it makes sense. Like Candace says above, in real life, just because someone is technically on your side doesn't make them automatically nice or likable or even prevent you from working at cross purposes, but it's rare to see that accurately portrayed in fiction.

Alix | 70 comments I think it's easy to fall into the trap of assuming the Ranthen would be different because by the end of the Bone Season, we know Warden well, and from the little we see and hear of Terebell, we know she's Warden's associate, she seems to be in charge of patching up injured red jackets (probably something Nashira made her do as further punishment), she shields Paige a few times, and we see her being bullied by Thuban. So like Paige, I initially assumed that Warden was the Ranthen's leader ("thanks" internalized sexism!) and that Terebell would have a different personality. Thus when I first read this section of the book I thought "ok...yikes. Silly human, that was a foolish assumption". It also, as Candace said, makes for a much more interesting story to have allies at cross-purposes some of the time.

The Bone Season Series by Samantha Shannon – A...

unread topics | mark unread