Tournament of Books discussion

High Dive
This topic is about High Dive
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2017 TOB -The Books > High Dive

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (asawatzky) | 1687 comments space to discuss High Dive by Jonathan Lee

Alex | 48 comments Totally disappointed in this one. Although I floated between three and four stars most of the read that gave it a 2/5 in the end. For a book that is part political thriller the writing really lacked the kind of tension that would have made it a more enjoyable read. Also, I get frustrated with books whose dialogues are completely odd and not realistic. I don't think there is much gained artistically by making the conversations between characters of off putting and difficult to follow. Here's hoping to a first round exit.

Susanw | 21 comments I have to say, I read the other bomb book from the long list over the holidays and was disappointed when this one made the short list. Association of Small Bombs was a 5 star read for me, so I was expecting awesomeness from this since it was chosen over that one. I was extremely disappointed. I ended up giving it a 3. I probably deserved a 3.5 but, thats not an option. I was well written but just didn't have the same impact or staying power of AoSB

Ehrrin | 114 comments I actually loved High Dive. It's one of my favorite of the shortlist. I thought it was a humanizing view of all the characters, and had a great mix of tension and moments that made me laugh out loud.

(Note of possibly some importance is that I "read" the audiobook, and the reader was excellent.)

I also read The Association of Small Bombs when it was on the alt.ToB shortlist. I also loved it, and thought it too was successful in humanizing all the characters--including the terrorists--and simultaneously showing the heartbreaking futility of this very specific type of violence.

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 236 comments I loved the audio of this, too. And I keep forgetting that this is a book about a bombing. It's so much more focused on the characters, and all the action is sidelined in favor of minute daily details.

Which I suppose could be the point? But every time someone says 'the other bomb book' I have to think, "Oh, right, this one has a bomb."

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this book after three disappointing ToB contenders in a row, so it was a treat! I like the author's choice of developing each of the characters so fully, instead of focusing on the bombing. The structure (and the premise of the novel) is alluded to when Mari talks about her desire to make a disaster film in which the earthquake happens at the end, "...because sometimes the before is more interesting than the after... Heading towards the impact." This is one of my favorite contenders that I've read so far. My only regret is that I didn't choose the audio version. It seems that I missed out on a great narrator.

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) | 156 comments I really liked this one, although I probably liked The Association of Small Bombs more. I thought Lee did a great job with character development and the book held my interest even when the events in the story were only tangentially related to the bombing itself.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 624 comments For those of you with HOOPLA from the public library, this is in there but only as an audiobook. I'm giving it a try.

Ehrrin | 114 comments The audiobook is SO GOOD! What a fantastic reader!

message 10: by C (new) - rated it 3 stars

C | 523 comments Finished this one -- didn't love it, didn't hate it. But I think it is one of those books that I will remember and it will grow on me over time. I love the setting of Brighton and the characters were people to like right away. Because of that, I think the book could have been at least 50 pages shorter. From the six I've read so far, this one falls in the middle of the pack. I'll read other books from Lee though!

message 11: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth Dean (readremark) | 29 comments Finally had to DNF it at about 70%. Tried and failed to get into it.

message 12: by Meg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meg (gemgt) | 9 comments Mixed feelings on this one. Part of me thinks I really liked it, really liked how fleshed out the characters of Freya and Moose were, and I was really invested in them by the end. But it felt like it draaaagged. That might be because I had to read it in short spurts - I think I would have liked it better if I had had a chunk of time to devote to it.

message 13: by C (new) - rated it 3 stars

C | 523 comments Yes, it dragged for me too, also because I think was reading in short spurts... but that is how I have been reading these days... I don't like it much, since I feel I'm not being fair to these books! I'd rather be a slower reader though than remember less than I already do.

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 576 comments Three stars for me. While the characters felt like real, nuanced human beings, and the writing went down smoothly and pleasurably, it just didn't spark anything in me. Except (big except) for Moose at the end (trying to avoid spoilers here). That hit me all the harder, given how warm and gentle the story line was around him. Maybe there needed to be more tension in the narrative, which would have come from Dan's side of the story. Maybe it was the lack of balance between Brighton vs Belfast story lines?

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 576 comments C wrote: "But I think it is one of those books that I will remember and it will grow on me over time...."

Me too.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

High Dive (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jonathan Lee (other topics)