Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Strange result for an ISBN

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marcos (last edited Feb 06, 2017 04:33AM) (new)

Marcos Kopschitz | 98 comments I was improving the data on this book, of which I have a copy:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...
ISBN-10: 8535902775 and ISBN-13: 9788535902778

I added the missing ISBN-13 above, but got this message:

1 error prohibited this record from being saved:

Isbn13 is taken by an existing book with the title "11-Aug-02 19:07 DTP-MAA-YesGerman2.991.492.6zip". Search for 9788535902778 in the header to view it. If you believe this is an error please double-check your data, then check the Goodreads Librarians group. ISBNs are optional so you can also add this book without an ISBN.

German? Zip file? Sounds really strange. The search for the ISBN in GR really shows such a "file", says it is a Kindle edition, but... there is some really strange data there.

The ISBN is correct and belongs to this book - checked Amazon and WorlCat.

Any idea on what this might be? And advice on how to proceed?

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6131 comments Looks like an import going wrong or spam or something..

I would delete the wrong entry and add the isbn to correct record

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41411 comments Mod
Lachgas wrote: "Looks like an import going wrong or spam or something.."

It does.

Lachgas wrote: "I would delete the wrong entry and add the isbn to correct record"

No; the wrong one has quite a few shelvings, who presumably found it searching by ISBN. Merging with the correct edition is in order, and will take a super.

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6131 comments Oh my fault didn't look on shelving because I didn't think anyone would add such weird thing on the shelf ... especially if he wants a completely different title.
Too naive of me.

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6131 comments The other one https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... can that be deleted?
Didn't see any shelving for it.

message 6: by Marcos (new)

Marcos Kopschitz | 98 comments I had noticed the shelving but had the very same doubts as Lachgas.
OK, I'll submit it to a super, with reference to this discussion.

message 7: by Marcos (new)

Marcos Kopschitz | 98 comments Submited it on the "Please delete..." thread.
Thanks a lot, Lachgas and rivka.

message 8: by Marcos (new)

Marcos Kopschitz | 98 comments The second one with no shelving has already been deleted, it appears.