Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Works in progress with no publication date

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amanda [darjeeling_and_jade] (exploredreamdiscover) | 9 comments This book recently popped up in my feed and I was wondering what goodread's policy on works in progress with no publication date is.

Using this author as an example, she has planned books for her two other series WITH publication dates marked, but this novel seems to consist only of a pinterest board and a quote from a tweet, which seems unprofessional:

"One of Sarah's WIP.
Referring to this book and other projects in pinterest Sarah expressed on Twitter: 'They're WIPs that have been on the backburner for years, but...I think they might have simmered long enough. (....Maybe.) ;)'"

I'm not sure why this was added / if I'm on the wrong side of things according to gr, but it seems strange to me that a book was added with absolutely no publication date (even an estimated one). Should this book be here when it's lacking those details?

Could someone point me to where information regarding what to do about WIPs is located?

message 2: by lethe (last edited Feb 05, 2017 04:18PM) (new)

lethe | 13535 comments "These items are books:

book-length fanfiction which is complete (no WIPs, please), and self-published. Note that we do remove fanfiction at the author's request."
https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/1...

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Feb 05, 2017 08:13PM) (new)

rivka | 41427 comments Mod
This does not appear to be fanfiction, so the no WIP guideline would not apply.

Public announcements by a published author of a forthcoming work is generally enough to add it to the Goodreads database. This allows users to add it as a to-read and keep on eye on when it gets a pub date.

Amanda [darjeeling_and_jade] (exploredreamdiscover) | 9 comments rivka wrote: "This does not appear to be fanfiction, so the no WIP guideline would not apply.

Public announcements by a published author of a forthcoming work is generally enough to add it to the Goodreads data..."

Okay, thanks for clarifying! I was only confused because I didn't realize that an author saying they had an idea meant that it could be added. There's not really any indication how far along the title is, so that's where my confusion lay. Thanks again!

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41427 comments Mod
This one is definitely borderline, and if the author later announces that it's definitely not happening, we will have to delete it. But given that it already has a bunch of to-read shelvings, and the author did make some sort of statement, we would generally keep it for now.