Proud Readers of Great Stories discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
February Two Week Read > The Maze Runner Week 2: Chapters 32 - 62

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Letitgo (new)

Letitgo | 62 comments Mod
How's everyone doing so far? Who has it figured out? :)

message 2: by Letitgo (last edited Feb 11, 2017 12:36PM) (new)

Letitgo | 62 comments Mod
(view spoiler)

Ooops! Sorry, spoilers are now hidden.
What did everyone else think?

message 3: by John (new)

John Winston (johndarrylwinston) | 100 comments Mod
Yikes, spoilers! Uh, some of us aren't finished. I'm getting there and still not getting any info. I'll reserve my angry face until the end. I'm holding out for a fab ending.

message 4: by Taryn (new)

Taryn Rydell | 94 comments Mod
I'm almost to end, and I'm learning some things but not enough. This one's really falling flat for me, surprisingly.

message 5: by Taryn (new)

But I love the discussion on this book and I'm also hoping for a smashing ending.

message 6: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (jebarton) | 14 comments Letitgo wrote: "[spoilers removed]

What did everyone else think?"

I finished yesterday, so let me tag my post as well.

(view spoiler)

Overall, the Maze Runner just fell flat (pun?) for me. I can compare it to other YA dystopias, and it just doesn't stand out. But at least I read it, so now I feel more up-to-date as a Teen librarian!

message 7: by John (last edited Feb 13, 2017 04:02PM) (new)

Janelle wrote: "Letitgo wrote: "[spoilers removed]

What did everyone else think?"

I finished yesterday, so let me tag my post as well.

Because they need the BEST of the be..."

Love your analysis, Janelle. I was wondering why I felt nothing for Chuck. And I guess it all comes down to character development. There wasn't much beyond the boys you mentioned. Awesome insight here.

message 8: by John (last edited Feb 13, 2017 04:00PM) (new)

For me, the book definitely fell flat. I'll add a few things to Janelle's awesome analysis. It's a good Idea, but I didn't buy into the premise, lack of character development, too many contrived elements: keeping the reader in total darkness (for no reason), the girl/instalove, and finally the ending. Also, it was a great attempt at multiculturalism, but Alby's weak role as the supposed leader really irritated me. The writing was okay.

message 9: by Janelle (last edited Feb 13, 2017 04:58PM) (new)

Janelle (jebarton) | 14 comments John wrote: "For me, the book definitely fell flat. I'll add a few things to Janelle's awesome analysis. It's a good Idea, but I didn't buy into the premise, lack of character development, too many contrived el..."

Yeah, Teresa bothered me as well. Your description of "instalove" is the best way to sum her up--she's just there for Thomas to emote over. It seemed like the entire reason she was of interest was simply because she's a "she." She triggers the End (was it ever explained how she did that?) and then contributes nothing...Thomas just kinda talked at her and then would have a revelation.

And I do agree, Alby seemed to have been ripped off. He started as a leader, but then was steadily portrayed as 'unreasonably grumpy' and later on, crazy. (view spoiler)

message 10: by Taryn (new)

What a great discussion. It's safe to say we probably won't be digging into Scorch Trial, at least not as a group. I'd like to see how the movie version plays out, maybe this weekend.

message 11: by Eivette (new)

Eivette Martinez | 11 comments Just so, so, probably won't read the second book.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.