YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Count of Monte Cristo
This topic is about The Count of Monte Cristo
BUDDY READ: Classics/Literature > The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas - Starting February 6th 2017

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 82721 comments Mod
'On what slender threads do life and fortune hang'

Thrown in prison for a crime he has not committed, Edmond Dantès is confined to the grim fortress of If. There he learns of a great hoard of treasure hidden on the Isle of Monte Cristo and he becomes determined not only to escape, but also to unearth the treasure and use it to plot the destruction of the three men responsible for his incarceration. Dumas' epic tale of suffering and retribution, inspired by a real-life case of wrongful imprisonment, was a huge popular success when it was first serialised in the 1840s.

Robin Buss' lively translation is complete and unabridged, and remains faithful to the style of Dumas' original. This edition includes an introduction, explanatory notes and suggestions for further reading.

Wolf (Alpha) | 2392 comments 2% (view spoiler)

Gillian Murrell | 3704 comments Chapter 9 this is an excellent story so far (view spoiler)

Gillian Murrell | 3704 comments up to Chapter 30 I have really enjoyed this book but then i hit chapter 31 and I think the author has a split personality. What on earth is going on its like its a different story and Edmund is a secondary character. Currently up to chapter 38 and its still ODD.

Wolf (Alpha) | 2392 comments Chapter 11: (view spoiler)

Wolf (Alpha) | 2392 comments Chapter 46: (view spoiler)

Wolf (Alpha) | 2392 comments Chapter 85: (view spoiler)

Wolf (Alpha) | 2392 comments Done: (view spoiler)

Gillian Murrell | 3704 comments Middle: I found the middle section of the book very confusing they way it was jumping into all these side stories. I found the count had changed so much that I was wondering if someone else had taken over the writing of the book.

Gillian Murrell | 3704 comments Finished: (view spoiler)