All About Books discussion

Infinite Jest
This topic is about Infinite Jest
Readalongs > Infinite Jest (Cathie & others)

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Leslie | 15985 comments Here is the thread for the July 2017 readalong of David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest.

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 608 comments Thank you Leslie! Thought only moderators could add threads!

Leslie | 15985 comments Cathie wrote: "Thank you Leslie! Thought only moderators could add threads!"

We are pretty open here to letting members make threads & only intervene if there is already an existing thread for the topic or it is somehow inappropriate.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to join. It will be my 3rd attempt to read this.

Leslie | 15985 comments That's great Terri!

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 608 comments July is just around the corner...will have to get my copy soon!

Leslie | 15985 comments Cathie wrote: "July is just around the corner...will have to get my copy soon!"

I'm excited about this readalong Cathie!

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 608 comments Leslie wrote: "Cathie wrote: "July is just around the corner...will have to get my copy soon!"

I'm excited about this readalong Cathie!"

Will you be joining in?

message 9: by GeneralTHC (new) - added it

GeneralTHC Whew-hooo!!! I'm in!!! :)

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 608 comments Cool! Hopefully we'll have more join in!

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 608 comments Hello all,

Wanted to ask to get a count of who are able to join in the read next month. Please respond confirm! Thanks!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in--with a little trepidation--but in nonetheless!

Leslie | 15985 comments Cathie wrote: "Hello all,

Wanted to ask to get a count of who are able to join in the read next month. Please respond confirm! Thanks!"

I'm in!

Leslie | 15985 comments So I have a book to finish up and then I will be ready to start - maybe after the July 4th holiday? How does that sound to you all?

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 608 comments I have yet to get my copy to begin! Also, got quite busy and distracted. Thought this month would be a bit slower.

As my birthday is the 4th...can we delay until, say at least the 15th?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't have a problem delaying till the 15th.

Leslie | 15985 comments The 15th is fine with me.

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 608 comments So sorry! I forgot about starting this read as I've been busy! Can we delay?

Leslie | 15985 comments Cathie wrote: "So sorry! I forgot about starting this read as I've been busy! Can we delay?"

I'm flexible so that is fine with me.

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 608 comments It seems there's only three of us...so perhaps with my busy schedule all of a sudden we postpone to towards next year? I think we may be busy as the holidays will be upon us and hopefully we'll have more joining in on the readalong!

Leslie | 15985 comments I have plenty to read so whatever is best for you Cathie.

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 608 comments LOL - I do too and they're stacking up on my side shelf! Appreciate this!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

The delay works out better for me as well. :)

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 608 comments Hello! Postponing for January 2018!

message 25: by Pink (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pink I'll probably join in if you're reading next year now :)

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 608 comments Yay! Can't believe we're halfway to Christmas!

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 608 comments Just a reminder for Infinite Jest! I'm looking at January 20th!

Leslie | 15985 comments Cathie wrote: "Just a reminder for Infinite Jest! I'm looking at January 20th!"

Thanks for the reminder! I am ready :)

message 29: by Pink (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pink I've reserved my copy at the library :)

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 608 comments Finally got my copy! In reviewing the book and reviewing online, thought we could have a schedule, weekly. I'm thinking of being aggressive here to read about 150ish pages each week, about eight weeks?

Thoughts?

Leslie | 15985 comments A schedule is a good idea. ~150 pages/week is okay with me.

Petra | 3244 comments Just a note about the format of the book. There are lots of footnotes (the longest is 16 pages). Not all but most are helpful to the story.
It's hard to schedule a set number of pages because the footnotes are at the back of the book.
It can be read in 8 weeks, though.

Leslie | 15985 comments Good to know Petra - thanks!

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 608 comments Thanks Petra! The story stops roughly at 981. In viewing the "sections", there are decent stop and start places, but yes, we will be going to the footnotes, which at times a particular footnote may be a few pages long.

message 35: by Pink (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pink Works for me. I have my copy from the library. Are we starting next week now, or still around the 20th?

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 608 comments Hi Pink! The 20th, but if you want to begin now, that's okay, considering the volume of this novel. I want to get a few reads in before I begin!

Any other ideas/suggestions before we begin would be most welcome!

I'm going to create a new thread for discussion to post on the 20th!

message 37: by Pink (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pink 20th works fine for me, let's me squeeze a couple of other things in too :)

Leslie | 15985 comments Pink wrote: "20th works fine for me, let's me squeeze a couple of other things in too :)"

Looks like we are all agreed :)

Leslie | 15985 comments So we start tomorrow, yes? I am ready!

message 40: by Pink (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pink Ok I'm ready too!

message 41: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire  | 66 comments Can I join too? Don’t know if I can do it, such a task, but buddies would help.

Leslie | 15985 comments Sure! That’s one reason for readalongs - the support in tackling a long or difficult book.

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 608 comments Yes!!!!

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 608 comments Separate thread created here: link: Infinite Jest thread