Book Snails Book Group discussion

Books > Choose your favorite e-reader

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1152 comments Mod
Some of us enjoy the printed screen! Lol

What's your dedicated eReader (Kindle, Nook, Kindle Fire, Kobo, Sony, other). Feel free to mention your specific model (eg, Nook Simple Touch Glow, Kindle Paperwhite, etc).

message 2: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (last edited Feb 04, 2017 03:04PM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1807 comments Mod
I've never owned a Kindle product... so I vote for my Nook Simple Touch, which is a tad faster and freezes less than my Kobo Touch eReader.

I especially like how easy it is to add .epub books to the Nook, and that the battery lasts me several weeks (or maybe a single week if I am doing really heavy reading).

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 124 comments I have a Nook that I really like but also have the Kindle app on my iPhone and iPad. The Nook stays upstairs in the bedroom for nighttime reading and that is all I use it for (it can do other things but want to keep it dedicated for reading). The iPad travels as I use it for calendaring and other uses but will use it to read also. I never have a problem with either as far as reading goes.

message 4: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan wrote: "I've never owned a Kindle product... so I vote for my Nook Simple Touch, which is a tad faster and freezes less than my Kobo Touch eReader.

I especially like how easy it is to add .epub boo..."

That's an awesome battery, StarMan!

message 5: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (last edited Feb 07, 2017 10:30AM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1807 comments Mod
Allison wrote: "That's an awesome battery, StarMan! "

Yep, e-ink tech is pretty cool. It's actually a pigment-based tech with some fancy chemistry & physics.

It uses very little power, and only when you "turn" the page. Unlike LCD screens, e-ink remains visible even when the device is turned off. The trade-off is that it's grayscale only (although I have heard color e-ink screens promised for years).

Typically, e-ink reader batteries only need to be charged every 2 to 4 weeks or so, with normal usage. Turning the wi-fi receiver off stretches battery life even more, of course.

And they are much easier on the eyes than reading LCD screens.

message 6: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan wrote: "Allison wrote: "That's an awesome battery, StarMan! "

Yep, e-ink tech is pretty cool. It's actually a pigment-based tech with some fancy chemistry & physics.

It uses very little power, and only w..."

Whoa! So much whoa! We live in an awesome time.