2021 ONTD Reading Challenge discussion

Seven Brief Lessons on Physics
This topic is about Seven Brief Lessons on Physics
2017 ♦️ARCHIVES♦️ February > Discussion post - Seven Brief Lessons on Physics (Carlo Rovelli)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Melanie | 10 comments Just finished this one for the month of February.

I was struck by how much it is about what it is not known as what is known. I might not have come out of this on par with Einstein but I found myself interested in what I didn't know about science.

favorite quote: "Once again, the world seems to be less about objects than about interactive relationship"

Have you read it? What was your favorite quote or idea?

message 2: by Lea (new) - added it

Lea | 325 comments Mod
Melanie, do you need to know much about physics to understand this book? I want to read it, but physics was never my strongest subject in school :/

Melanie | 10 comments Lea wrote: "Melanie, do you need to know much about physics to understand this book? I want to read it, but physics was never my strongest subject in school :/"

Hi Lea! The author assumes that you have heard of physics concepts (i.e. general relativity, thermodynamics) but do not understand them at all. He does use some high-brow vocab, but all his science terms are explained in enough detail to make them make sense to a layman. The aim of the book is not to teach you physics but to help you understand how physics relates to the universe, matter, the natural world, and you as a human.

I hope that helped.

message 4: by Lea (new) - added it

Lea | 325 comments Mod
Thank you Melanie, that does help. I looked it up and it was actually on sale so I bought it for a very reasonable price.

Melanie | 10 comments Let me know what you think when you finish it! :D

Sasha | 104 comments I read it two months ago and my favorite thought was that the big bang was following the life cycle of a star, essentially/kind of. :) It was an expansion from one point, but what if everything had condensed into that one point. What if it is this cyclical happening? So cool.

Anyway, I believe this started off as a newspaper column that the author wrote and then expanded to make a book. So ideally it should be an entry point for a good number of readers.

I did find the last chapter a bit of a chore but maybe because it's more based in philosophy than science, iirc, is why I didn't connect.