SIA Showcase for Readers and Writers discussion

Member showcase N through T > Eric Rabin: I think I was clever once, but I have no proof

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric Rabin (authoreric) | 41 comments Hey everyone!

My name is Eric and I'm here for the chips and guacamole. Wrong place? Well I guess I'll just have to chat with you fine people about reading and writing instead!

I'm a brand-new author, having just published my book And Sometimes They Win, a psychological thriller. The process has been fun and tormenting and fulfilling and soul-crushing all at once...and just beginning, as I've come to find out.

So I'm here for ideas! To meet others like me. And still others not like me. And everyone in between. To contribute whatever I can and ask a bazillion questions along the way.

Happy to be a part of this great community and really looking forward to the lively banter I've already witnessed from a bunch of other posts.

If anyone's curious, here's the link to my Amazon author page:
http://amazon.com/author/ericrabin

Or feel free to check out my website/blog at:
ericrabin.com

Ok, so, first questions!!! What's the best way to approach this kickass little goodreads site? Drift about, offering input and commentary wherever it feels right?

message 2: by Amie (new)

Amie O'Brien | 189 comments You mean you didn't want to be Hollywood actor, Eric Bana's stunt double? I needed a double take. Felt like I was watching Troy for a second there.

Great job releasing your book!

message 3: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 1015 comments Welcome to the house of fun.

I'd recommend drifting, sniffing around a bit, and having fun...

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric Rabin (authoreric) | 41 comments Amie wrote: "You mean you didn't want to be Hollywood actor, Eric Bana's stunt double? I needed a double take. Felt like I was watching Troy for a second there.

Great job releasing your book!"

Ha! Appreciate the reference! I can't ride motorcycles and don't really enjoy pain too much, so a stunt double might be out.

And thanks so much...I just hope I can entertain a few people :)

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric Rabin (authoreric) | 41 comments Jane wrote: "Welcome to the house of fun.

I'd recommend drifting, sniffing around a bit, and having fun..."

That sounds like the perfect plan, Jane. Think I'll take you up on that

message 6: by G.G., Genre Buster Extraordinaire (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 571 comments Mod
Hello Eric, welcome aboard!

message 7: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 606 comments Eric wrote: "I can't ride motorcycles and don't really enjoy pain too much"

*sighs*
*starts looking for new hero to cast in BDSM biker gang novel*

Congrats on the new book, Eric! And welcome to the party ^_~

Hugs,
Ann

message 8: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Bush | 233 comments Welcome aboard Eric.

Congrats on the book! I don't carry about chips and guac, but as Annie knows, I'm pretty liberal with the Krispy Kremes :)

*slides a box of hot and fresh onto the table*
*adds carafe of house blend for good measure*

enjoy the stay

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric Rabin (authoreric) | 41 comments G.G. wrote: "Hello Eric, welcome aboard!"
Thanks, G.G.!

message 10: by Eric (new)

Eric Rabin (authoreric) | 41 comments Annie wrote: "Eric wrote: "I can't ride motorcycles and don't really enjoy pain too much"

*sighs*
*starts looking for new hero to cast in BDSM biker gang novel*

Congrats on the new book, Eric! And welcome to t..."

I mean, I guess if you reaaaaaally needed a hero...I'll start getting my tats lined up now

message 11: by Eric (new)

Eric Rabin (authoreric) | 41 comments Nathan wrote: "Welcome aboard Eric.

Congrats on the book! I don't carry about chips and guac, but as Annie knows, I'm pretty liberal with the Krispy Kremes :)

*slides a box of hot and fresh onto the table*
*add..."

Damn! Coffee and doughnuts! Knew I was in the right place. Thanks, Nathan. Hope we get to chat it up about words and pages and whatnot.

message 12: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Bush | 233 comments Sure thing. I try to pop in a least once a night while I write, usually between 1030 and midnight (central), and I've always got the coffee on; but Kripsys only if the lights on when I pass through!

message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Kent | 17 comments Hi Eric..'welcome to the house of fun'....

message 14: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 606 comments Eric wrote: "I mean, I guess if you reaaaaaally needed a hero...I'll start getting my tats lined up now"

I always need a hero. Just be warned, I'm not the nicest mistress to 'em. Probably why I always need new ones LMAO!

*ahem*

I'll send over the tat designs right away ^_~

@Mr Nathan: All this talk about KK is some cruel sort of torture. Time for this girl to take a little trip south of the border for some donut glory, eh? That sounds very wrong...

message 15: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Bush | 233 comments @Annie,
Didnt think torture would be much of a concern for you ;)

message 16: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 606 comments Nathan wrote: "@Annie,
Didnt think torture would be much of a concern for you ;)"

It isn't. Let's convene in the dungeon, shall we? Gotta say the "donut glory" is still a concern, though. Cuz, really, a misplaced "hole" somewhere and... yeah.

*blank stare*

message 17: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Bush | 233 comments Annie wrote: "Nathan wrote: "@Annie,
Didnt think torture would be much of a concern for you ;)"

It isn't. Let's convene in the dungeon, shall we? Gotta say the "donut glory" is still a concern, though. Cuz, rea..."

Umm....
*becomes speechless*

message 18: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 606 comments Nathan wrote: "*becomes speechless*"

Yeah, that happens, eh? ^_~

message 19: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Bush | 233 comments I bet that happens ALOT when you make that request.

*shivers uncontrollably*

message 20: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 606 comments It really does but...

*whispers*

We're totally hijacking poor Eric's (Sorry!) fancy schmancy showcase thread. Perhaps we really should take this elsewhere haha!

*leaves a trail of KK crumbs leading to the dungeon*

message 21: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Bush | 233 comments I guess your right, sorry Eri......

*falls into trance, follows crumb trail, gathering them into plastic bag along the way*

message 22: by Eric (new)

Eric Rabin (authoreric) | 41 comments Jonathan wrote: "Hi Eric..'welcome to the house of fun'...."

...where snazzy repartee comes to play...

Thank, Jonathan. Already gettin a kick out of some of the posts

message 23: by Eric (new)

Eric Rabin (authoreric) | 41 comments Annie wrote: "It really does but...

*whispers*

We're totally hijacking poor Eric's (Sorry!) fancy schmancy showcase thread. Perhaps we really should take this elsewhere haha!

*leaves a trail of KK crumbs lead..."

*hopes he can pick up on the trail scent in time to witness the wonders of the dungeon

message 24: by Annie (last edited Feb 06, 2017 04:20PM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 606 comments Okay, Mr Eric, but just remember...

description

Tee hee.

EDIT: One of my readers actually posted this meme in a review. Credit/blame goes to Miss Jilly.

message 25: by C.B., Slave to Santa's Workshop (new)

C.B. Archer | 502 comments Mod
I hope you brought enough chips and salsa to share!!!

message 26: by Eric (new)

Eric Rabin (authoreric) | 41 comments Annie wrote: "Okay, Mr Eric, but just remember...

Tee hee.

EDIT: One of my readers actually posted this meme in a review. Credit/blame goes to Miss Jilly."

I'll proceed with caution then...or maybe just pretend I'm 5 years old and can't understand what I'm seeing

message 27: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Bush | 233 comments *peeks around corner*

*whispers* Eric? Errrrric?

*dialogue in head* Hope he didn't get trapped in the dungeon

*drops KKs and coffee* Just in case he comes back

message 28: by Ember-Raine (new)

Ember-Raine Winters (ember-raine_winters) | 494 comments Haha! Good thinking Nathan he needs to hide from the mistress!!

message 29: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Bush | 233 comments Ember wrote: "Haha! Good thinking Nathan he needs to hide from the mistress!!"

Uh-oh, just reread 26, maybe he's stuck as a five year old and doesn't know where he is!

message 30: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 1090 comments Hi Eric! Sorry, the mean mod has been sick mod and is now making the rounds, so welcome to the showcase. There's only one rule you need to know: There is NO SUCH THING as a wrong place for chips and guacamole.

message 31: by Eric (new)

Eric Rabin (authoreric) | 41 comments Nathan wrote: "Ember wrote: "Haha! Good thinking Nathan he needs to hide from the mistress!!"

Uh-oh, just reread 26, maybe he's stuck as a five year old and doesn't know where he is!"

Nah, pal, I thought about the crazy arc my 5-y-o's life would take once exposed to Annie's wonders and boundless imagination. Then thought better of it, and decided to squeeze back into my teenage skin so I could really soak it all in. Properly, I mean.

And it worked! I'm bedazzled...

message 32: by Eric (new)

Eric Rabin (authoreric) | 41 comments Christina wrote: "Hi Eric! Sorry, the mean mod has been sick mod and is now making the rounds, so welcome to the showcase. There's only one rule you need to know: There is NO SUCH THING as a wrong place for chips an..."

So unforgivably mean, Christina!

Ok, you're forgiven. And thanks for the warmth :)

message 33: by Eric (new)

Eric Rabin (authoreric) | 41 comments Ember wrote: "Haha! Good thinking Nathan he needs to hide from the mistress!!"

Figured I couldn't hide forever, Ember :/

message 34: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 606 comments @Miss Ember: The key is to never chase your victims. The key is to entice them with irresistible goodies and then...

Let's discuss further in private.

@Mr Eric: Amiright? ^_~

(Just for the record, I don't talk like that IRL. Too often.)

message 35: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Kelly | 24 comments Chips and Guac? I'll take some.

message 36: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Bush | 233 comments Dude, glad to see you're still with us

message 37: by Eric (new)

Eric Rabin (authoreric) | 41 comments And Sometimes They Win by Eric Rabin

Not sure I even posted a shot of my cover earlier. ("Such an amateur," they all cry out laughingly in chorus)...so now I have.

A novel about poker with a cover like that? Say wha????

Well...

The title was pulled from the following Edgar Allen Poe quote (which I knew the instant I read it would aptly capture the story's essence):

"Monsters are real, and ghosts are too,
They live inside us,
And sometimes they win."

Loosely based on my career as professional poker player--you wouldn't believe even half the craziness and chaos over a ten-year span--it follows a small group swept up in a chip-counterfeiting scheme (this part was entirely fictional), engaged in some seriously shadowy-type behavior (drawn from real events/characters).

And the story is actually structured like a poker hand, with chapter names borrowed from poker terms (with obvious double meanings) and detailed descriptions of in-play thought processes and how the game affects players on a biochemical level...

...but as the dark intrigue of the cover suggests, the overarching themes of deception, betrayal and revenge are what rule the day here.

Anyway, enough of the shameless self-promotion; just thought I'd screen-splash a few words for those wondering what the &%$* my book was about. Thanks for reading. Comments/criticisms/public outcry all welcome here, obv.

:>)

message 38: by Eric (new)

Eric Rabin (authoreric) | 41 comments Annie wrote: "@Miss Ember: The key is to never chase your victims. The key is to entice them with irresistible goodies and then...

Let's discuss further in private.

@Mr Eric: Amiright? ^_~

(Just for the recor..."

@Ms Annie: You only speak truths ;/

message 39: by Eric (new)

Eric Rabin (authoreric) | 41 comments Nathan wrote: "Dude, glad to see you're still with us"

Dude, glad I'm missed

message 40: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 606 comments Eric wrote: "@Ms Annie: You only speak truths ;/"

In the spirit of truths, I shall make a confession:

I lost a whackload of moolah (both my own and a buddy's haha!) playing poker last night so could probably use some tips tee hee. That said, I always seem to make it up betting on UFC fights...

*shifty eyes*

It's all about balance, right...?

G'night hugsss,
Ann

P.S. I dig the cover in thumbnail. You can actually see the image. Yay!! ^_^

message 41: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Bush | 233 comments Yo Bro,
Here's a few of the people I contacted about doing author interviews:

Rite Lee Chapman: ritachapman@ritaleechapman.com
Stephen Bentley: steve.b2834@gmail.com
Jessica Hernanadez: jessyhernandez7@att.net

Most of the interviews were live within just a week or so, just depended how full they already were.

message 42: by Eric (new)

Eric Rabin (authoreric) | 41 comments Nathan wrote: "Yo Bro,
Here's a few of the people I contacted about doing author interviews:

Rite Lee Chapman: ritachapman@ritaleechapman.com
Stephen Bentley: steve.b2834@gmail.com
Jessica Hernanadez: jessyherna..."

Thanks buddy--
I'll be sure to reach out to them asap

message 43: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Bush | 233 comments Alas, poor Eric, for I did not know him well, but liked him all the same. Eric, Eric, where for art thou Eric?

Methinks he's forgotten about his thread again.

message 44: by Ember-Raine (last edited Mar 05, 2017 11:33PM) (new)

Ember-Raine Winters (ember-raine_winters) | 494 comments It kind of seems like it huh? LOL! ERIC!!! Where did you go?!?! hahaha

message 45: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Bush | 233 comments Hm, still no sign of 'im. Hope he didn't wander off the trail and get lost in somebody's thread.

*lays out box of fresh Krispy Kremes as enticement*
*lies in wait to spring trap*