The Book Vipers discussion

Book Chat > How do you get out of a reading slump?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 14 comments So far this year I have not read a really really great book. Now I can't seem to get into anything I pick up. It is so frustrating. I just want to find a book that I don't want to put down and can't wait to pick back up. So what do you do? How to you break this curse? haha

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments what sort of books do you like?

I've been lucky, most books I pick are great....of course To the Lighthouse was utter rubbish, after that I just picked up another book and carried on.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5460 comments Mod
Thankfully I have never had a reading slump, Shay. Have you got a treasured book that you could re-read? Or perhaps a book by a favourite author that you haven't read yet?

message 4: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments There used to be a book in our local library that was titled something like....if you like this author you may like this one. Inside there were lists of authors, in alphabetical order. Underneath were lists of authors they thought you make enjoy. Eerily accurate. I'm sure there is similar on line. Once you restart it's great. I also have found that if I switch off my computer more often I enjoy my books more. The stuff about shorter attention span when using computer lots appears to be true in my case. Good luck. I have them too.

message 5: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments I loved To the Lighthouse btw. As Jason knows. Haha

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments One thing you could try is to read something completely different. might work as a kind of reset.

message 7: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments Actually I wondered that too Jason. We agree on lots but agree to differ on Ms Woolf.

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments You agree with me on Ms Woolf, you're just in denial.

message 9: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments I share that denial with millions of others. You share your animosity with millions too. Marmite methinks.

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments Marmite is great.

message 11: by Toyah (new)

Toyah (rockabillybibiliophile) | 275 comments I don't really experience reading slumps but occasionally I will finish a book and not know what to read next. In which case I pull a few from my shelves and start whichever one appeals then keep going until I get into one. Mostly my not knowing what to read next comes from needing to figure out what mood I'm in. Very rarely I'll reread a familiar one.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I start by re-reading old favourites. Then when I feel like it, I go for something else.

Maybe we could give you some recommendations if you tell us what you like?

message 13: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Mcgee | 209 comments Often I find that reading something I would not choose ordinarily gets me out of a reading slump which is why this group is great.

message 14: by Pat (new)

Pat Morris-jones | 1369 comments I read lots of newspapers, magazines and generally anything except a book. In the end I get so fed up of these that I turn to a book and hey, it's fab. I try, at this point, to choose a short, easy to read, classic and this restores my faith in book reading. Hey presto I'm out.

message 15: by Kira (new)

Kira (shelfloving) When I get into a slump I start reading more then one book at a time. At one point I was in the middle of reading 8 different books before I found one that I just couldn't put down. ( I will try to read a chapter a day from one of the others since I do not like to not finish books).

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mrswhams) | 730 comments Mod
I agree with... well, everyone. I have found this group has got me out of a slump in the sense that it has really widened my experience of different authors and prompted me to read things I would have bypassed usually.

I also do what Pat does and turn to newspapers and magazines. At some point something piques your interest and you'll start to want to read more around it. I've discovered many a book this way.

And Kira's idea of reading several at once – I can see that working... reading is so mood-based.

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 44 comments I find that the best way for me to get out of a reading slump is to spend some time on the internet looking up anything within the realm of books. Researching new books to read (fellow goodreaders books and discussions, or just browsing books online), amazing libraries and bookstores around the world, reading nooks, etc. Anything like that and I usually find myself wanting to read again.

message 18: by Jazzy (last edited Feb 11, 2018 01:53AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 274 comments I've suffered with this off and on all my life. Depression, life and other things get in the way. In the meantime I would play and listen to music, watch good films, increase my love of how stories are put together and then one day I say, I'd like to read that - and I'm off again like a shot. Try not to worry so much. Once a reader, always a reader. Much love and lots of books. x

PS. Liner notes are great in the meantime. Some good stuff there.
PPS. Here are some good liner notes to get you started.
http://jerryjazzmusician.com/category...