Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Impermanent
This topic is about Impermanent
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Normand | 688 comments This edition has an incorrect page count. YES I did check that this is my correct edition. (Product Details from Amazon)

Product Details
File Size: 655 KB
Print Length: 301 pages
Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
Publisher: Mad For Romance Publishing (July 22, 2014)
Publication Date: July 22, 2014
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
Language: English
ASIN: B00M1WG3N8

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2739 comments The link you provided was to the Paperback edition, while the information is for the Kindle edition. The Kindle edition has had 301 as its page count since creation. If you have the Paperback edition, please confirm the ISBN and let me know what is on the last 3 pages, as the record currently agrees with amazon.

This next part is mostly librarian-talk, but you may notice that I've moved things around a bit. As I was doing this request, I found that the Kindle edition from this work was an Alternate Cover Edition published under a different name. Determined the work to have originally been published under Jamie Jeffries, so added it as primary author, combined works.

I also cleaned up the ACE a bit (moved note to the top of description, added librarian note, added links to ACEs to original, changed pub. date to date of record's creation as precise date of cover change unknown).

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Normand | 688 comments I don't understand. The page count is from the Kindle edition (I have the Jul22/2014, 301 pages edition); the same page where I bought the book. The page count is still at 301 as of today. The same edition on Goodreads is 292, which is wrong. I'm not sure why you say I chose the paperback edition; is this when I choose the book for your sake? I never noticed more than one book with the drop-down arrow on the Librarian site.

message 4: by David (new)

David Raz (davidraz) | 4106 comments You linked to the paperback edition and maybe Alex was referring to the other Kindle edition. Anyway, I corrected the page numbering for the Kindle July 22, 2014 edition: Impermanent

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Normand | 688 comments Ah! Thanks.

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2739 comments David wrote: "Anyway, I corrected the page numbering for the Kindle July 22, 2014 edition: Impermanent"

I don't think you should have done that. As far as I can tell, that edition is the original edition to appear on GR and was added by the amazon bot. The page count was probably correct for that first edition.

This book has since gone through a couple of cover changes and a name change, so I think it unlikely that it shares the exact same page count with its current incarnation on amazon.

message 7: by David (last edited Feb 13, 2017 10:01AM) (new)

David Raz (davidraz) | 4106 comments I did that based on Nicole's book-in-hand, or at least my understanding of it. I probably misunderstood. Reverted the edit.

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2739 comments Perhaps I have misunderstood, but, as far as I know, most Kindle editions do not update their bibliographical information to include the dates of their cover changes, so to determine Nicole's edition, she must confirm which cover matches hers.

Case-in-point: the current amazon edition has no indication of the date of the cover change (it does say it has been edited for re-release though) and the listing only includes the original publication date.

Seeing as Nicole had originally linked to a different cover, with a different author name than the edition in question, I think it unlikely that this is hers, though not impossible.

message 9: by David (last edited Feb 13, 2017 10:18AM) (new)

David Raz (davidraz) | 4106 comments I thought by saying "I have the Jul22/2014 edition" she means she has the original. But the way to know for sure is ask explicitly. Nicole, please clarify, which cover do you have.

Impermanent by Jamie Jeffries Impermanent by Jamie Jeffries Impermanent by Jamie Jeffries

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43624 comments Mod
The only formats for which book-in-hand does not trump publisher/Amazon/etc. data are ebooks. User settings, precise model of ereader, and other variables can mean that the same book on your ereader and mine have different page counts. Therefore, for ebooks (including Kindle editions), the page number should come from the publisher.

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Normand | 688 comments I did not link anything. I took the product details from Amazon when I bought my book. If Amazon says the edition I bought was Jul22/2014 at 301 pages, it wouldn't download anything else in my Kindle. I do not give out the info directly from my Kindle unless you want me to check for the cover. When someone like me emails to you the librarians there's a drop down arrow to choose the title from. Even if on your list you have 2-3 different covers, there's only one cover in the drop down choice. When I'm telling you this is my edition, it's from the product details from Amazon where I bought the book; where else would I get my info? My Kindle doesn't give me the exact edition date and the page count, so where else would I get the info? From Amazon where I bought the book, whom I'm sure did not download anything other than what details they were showing when I bought the book. All this said, never mind changing anything for me, I'll do my own page count thing and I'll stop sending publishers unto my account because that is really why the page count and edition is important to me but obviously not to you - like why keep the 2014 edition only if Amazon is now selling the 2016 edition? Please don't answer that, I don't wish to follow-up.

message 12: by Sana (last edited Feb 20, 2017 05:11AM) (new)

Sana (sanashams) | 76 comments Link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
Pages: 400
ISBN: 9780765376459

Link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
Pages: 512
ISBN: 9780765376473

Link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
Pages: 624
ASIN: B01EROMI2M

Thanks!

message 13: by David (last edited Feb 20, 2017 05:51AM) (new)

David Raz (davidraz) | 4106 comments #12 this thread is linked at the top to a specific book, so adding more requests is confusing. Please open a new thread in the future.

Nevertheless:
1. Amazon agrees but worldcat has 413. Do you have it in your hands? What's on page 399? 401-413?
2. worldcat & Amazon agree, Done
3. Amazon agrees, Done

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.