Support for Indie Authors discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > WARNING to people who use Amazon link to promote their book!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by T.S. (last edited Feb 03, 2017 11:17AM) (new)

T.S. Adrian (shadyia) | 11 comments A friend of mine alerted me to a rookie mistake I did when I used an Amazon link to promote my book.

Look at this photos below:

If you look close, it has an ID reference (ref=sr=1BLAHBLAHBLAH) after the Amazon link. That "blah blah blah" is MY reference number.

According to my friend, if I were to use that link to promote my book, and people were to buy my book using that link, the Amazon system would see that as ME, and not them. If they then wrote a review, Amazon may delete that review because the system believes I am cheating by writing my own reviews.

Can anyone confirm this is the case?

message 2: by Ember-Raine (new)

Ember-Raine Winters (ember-raine_winters) | 99 comments Do you mean the share link? Because I have noticed that I have gotten a different link every time I have clicked share so I wouldn't think that would be your own reference link.

message 3: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 727 comments I shouldn't think so as the purchase is through their account. They get charged, it goes to their Kindle. I can't see it as a problem.

message 4: by Ember-Raine (new)

Ember-Raine Winters (ember-raine_winters) | 99 comments I was totally on the app and didn't get the pic the first time! Oops! There is a share button off to the side that gives you a shortened link to post on social media and the like though I find it easier to use that because it looks a bit more professional then the longer link at the top

message 5: by T.S. (last edited Feb 03, 2017 11:28AM) (new)

T.S. Adrian (shadyia) | 11 comments Ember wrote: "Do you mean the share link? Because I have noticed that I have gotten a different link every time I have clicked share so I wouldn't think that would be your own reference link."

TL Clark (author of love) wrote: "I shouldn't think so as the purchase is through their account. They get charged, it goes to their Kindle. I can't see it as a problem."

Those are good points. If the system thought that was my page, it could not send a paid-for book to another's Kindle. I'll ask my friend about that. Hold on...

message 6: by T.S. (new)

T.S. Adrian (shadyia) | 11 comments Ember wrote: "I was totally on the app and didn't get the pic the first time! Oops! There is a share button off to the side that gives you a shortened link to post on social media and the like though I find it e..."

I never noticed that Share button. I like to copy/paste the Amazon link when I promote my book in various places, and not just the few they list there.

message 7: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I would write Amazon and ask them I'd this is the case, but I have doubts. From what you are saying, every time I share my link and someone buys my book, my account is being charged. That isn't the case. You will see your account info, anyone else clicking will see their own. Regardless, you can easily shorten to the no referential link by adding your ASIN to either Amazon.com/dp/ or AMZN.com/

message 8: by Ember-Raine (new)

Ember-Raine Winters (ember-raine_winters) | 99 comments If you click the word share it gives you a shortened link that you can post anywhere. I just noticed it recently. You just copy and paste it but like I said I noticed it gave me a different one the second time I used it

message 9: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Since the info has no ground we have decided to shut the thread. There is no reason to alarm people.
Thanks.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.