The Red Pyramid

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jalen (new)

Jalen Tate The Red Pyramid
Jalen Tate
1/25/17
Hour 2

The cover of The Red Pyramid, which is written by novelist Rick Riordan, shows two kids, a boy and a girl, standing in front of a building with serpent coils swirling in and out of it, with the boy holding a curved Egyptian sword, and the girl waving hieroglyphs in the air. This cover art intrigued me, as it made me wonder what was going on, as to what situation these two were in, and what significance was between them. The title alone led me to believe that this strange “Red Pyramid” played a big part into the story and is the backbone of this book and any potential conflicts after it.
Rick Riordan has the ability to draw people into his stories with his books. For example, the first line started with this: “We only have a few hours, so listen carefully.” This makes me wonder, what could be so important? Are they running from something, and what do you need to know? With this, it makes you feel as if you are right alongside the main characters experiencing the adventure with them, and feeling the very things that they feel, as they go through the amazing trails and emotional roller coasters in this story as they fight monsters and gods, and have their comical and emotional moments with each other.

In The Red Pyramid, Rick Riordan portrays the idea of thinking on your feet. He also involves a small handful of conflicts within the book. In
this story, Carter and Sadie Kane, the main protagonists of the story, have to stop the evil chaos god, Set, from using his Red Pyramid to destroy North America. This can symbolize person vs. person, as they have to battle monsters and demons, stop Set, and fight a hitman squad of magicians that have been tracking them across the country as they try to complete their mission, all without any magical or combat training, and nothing but the blood of the pharaohs running through their veins.
Another conflict in this novel is person vs. person, when Sadie and Carter’s Uncle Amos is being controlled by Set and he has to fight himself to try to subtly warn them and hold himself in line from attacking them. Even his enforcer was mildly impressed by his resolve. Set stated, “He tried his best to warn you, to make it obvious I was controlling him. The funny thing is, I forced him to use his own magic reserves to pull off those spells. He almost burned out his soul trying to send you those warning flares.” This highlights the strength and will that Amos had to try to resist Set’s influence over him, and not hurt his grandchildren. Another example is when Set also said, “As I said, Amos put up a good fight. There were certain things I could not make him do without destroying him completely, and I didn’t want to ruin my new plaything quite so soon.” This excerpt can show how much Amos was resisting him.
After reading The Red Pyramid, I would recommend any reader seeking action and adventure should read this book. I say this because this book has the right dose of interesting moments, and lots of funny ones, such as destroying Elvis’ house, or naming a mythical monster Leroy. All in all, this book is for everyone, and I hope you can enjoy this wonderful read just as much as I did!

Jayanth Kumar Jalen wrote: "The Red Pyramid
Jalen Tate
1/25/17
Hour 2

The cover of The Red Pyramid, which is written by novelist Rick Riordan, shows two kids, a boy and a girl, standing in front of a building with serpent c..."

It was clearly a wonderful read...!!