Democratic Women's Club of West Orange County discussion

The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness
This topic is about The New Jim Crow
Resisting the new Jim Crow

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (new) - added it

Dawn | 6 comments Mod
Why has there been so little challenge to the new Jim Crow?

message 2: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Lyte | 6 comments The first time reading this book, I felt so much shame. I felt shame because I like the writer did not realize that many of my relatives had been caught up in the system through no fault of their own. This system turned our community against itself because we were trying so hard to be seen as respectable.

message 3: by Dawn (new) - added it

Dawn | 6 comments Mod
I can see how it would create so many strong feelings... how sad though that you felt shame like that... If makes me feel rage....

message 4: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Russell | 3 comments Hey!! Just joining the conversation. Great questions!! Need to get a little further into the book, but looking forward to working on this issue with DWCF.

message 5: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Russell | 3 comments I am feeling issue overload. So many issues, they all feel separate and urgent. And that is by design to keep us running around, like we are lost. I believe we can do better, because now we know better.

message 6: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Lyte | 6 comments Yolanda I agree we can do better. Finding the intersections will help us lift what feels like a heavy load. Thanks for joining the conversation