Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

Five Children and It > Five Children and It - Week 3: Chapters 6-8

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1098 comments Mod
I loved how the author made Robert the hero one day and a grumpy, sulky, irritating brat the next. Isn't that how life is? One day we are on the top of the world and the next, we are no longer important and we feel a giant letdown.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 631 comments ☯Emily needs to protest again wrote: "I loved how the author made Robert the hero one day and a grumpy, sulky, irritating brat the next. Isn't that how life is? One day we are on the top of the world and the next, we are no longer impo..."

Great point, Emily. I so agree.

message 3: by Ginny (new)

Ginny (burmisgal) | 183 comments I find it interesting that there are references to other books the children (especially Cyril) have read. I had to look up the "somehow, like Sydney Carton did" reference. A character in A Tale of Two Cities. I did read that book many years ago, but remember very little about it. Many of the details of the adventures would have come from books--the equipment of the soldiers is described a being from many different periods.

message 4: by Ginny (new)

Ginny (burmisgal) | 183 comments I have never read this book, and find myself attempting to imagine how my 10-year-old self would have experienced it. For those of you who read this as a child, how do you remember it, and what do think of it now?

message 5: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1098 comments Mod
Ginny wrote: "I have never read this book, and find myself attempting to imagine how my 10-year-old self would have experienced it. For those of you who read this as a child, how do you remember it, and what do ..."

That's a great question.

Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Tale of Two Cities (other topics)