Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Questions > American vs. British spelling in title words

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 13 comments I searched and searched for a book and couldn't find it. Turns out it was simply a matter of the American spelling not added to the book's record.

How do we add an alternate spelling to a title without messing up the record?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6565 comments I believe the title should be as on the cover.

message 3: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5022 comments As Elizabeth says, the title should reflect the cover and use the spelling there. Neither British nor American alternate spellings should be added to a work's record unless they are also reflected on the cover.

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 13 comments That is too bad. Readers might not find what they are looking for. I am a cataloguer in a public library. We always provide alternate spellings so that the reader/patron will not become frustrated.
For example:
"Mummy's Favourite" would also be entered as "Mummy's favorite".
Also, things like "Poisonfeather" would also be listed as "Poison feather" as it appears as two words on the cover.

message 5: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5022 comments I've been a cataloguer in academia, and I can't say we've ever felt the need to do it in that context. Different users, different contexts I'd guess. Here we just suggest that users are aware that this is an international site, and therefore we encourage them to use variant spellings when searching, use the cover as a guide, or just to stick to the ISBN. We don't have any cross referencing or see-also functionality in the site (and any you see is hand-done by us).

message 6: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13581 comments I used to have a copy of Labor Day by Joyce Maynard by Joyce Maynard. On the title page it was written as Labor Day, and on the cover as Labour Day by Joyce Maynard . That was pretty weird :)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 13 comments I wanted to know how the site handles the 'see-also' aspect. Not having that functionality seems like a grievous weakness in the database.

message 8: by lethe (last edited Feb 02, 2017 10:52AM) (new)

lethe | 13581 comments Fictionophile wrote: "grievous weakness"

That's a bit strong. Don't forget that this is a gigantic database that does not just handle English-language books. To build in this functionality just for English/American spelling seems not worth the trouble. Making people aware that they should try variant spellings is more efficient in my view.

Also, don't forget that books can be added by anybody. Not everybody is a librarian, or has the "patrons" in mind when adding a book.

ETA Anyway, if you want to discuss this further or make a suggestion to add this functionality, please do so in the Feedback Group.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6565 comments Additionally, I believe that a search for the cover spelling will return the book, even when search is not as good as we hope.

message 10: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 13 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Additionally, I believe that a search for the cover spelling will return the book, even when search is not as good as we hope."

Except for in cases such as "Poisonfeather" On the cover it looks like "Poison feather". Anyone searching with two words will not get a result.

message 11: by Philip (new)

Philip (burnnerman) | 5913 comments #10 - Which is why it probably should have the space, since that is what is on the cover.

message 12: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13581 comments Fictionophile wrote: "Except for in cases such as "Poisonfeather" On the cover it looks like "Poison feather". Anyone searching with two words will not get a result. ."

Yes, they do: https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8...

message 13: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 13 comments I see you are using the specialized 'title search'.
Good to know.
I was using the search bar at the top of the screen in the header bar that is labelled "Search books" with a magnifying glass.

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41725 comments Mod
The Librarians Group-specific issue has been resolved. The discussion about searches and requests for additional features/fields are not something librarians can assist you with, but are something for the Feedback Group. Or you may wish to use the Contact Us link on the Help page. Librarians can help with issues pertaining to specific book records or most related issues, but have no control over general site functionality or related issues. Closing thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.