Play Book Tag discussion

Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between
This topic is about Talking as Fast as I Can
February 2017: Quirky > Talking as Fast as I Can by Lauren Graham -- 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7620 comments Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between by Lauren Graham
3 stars

Like oh-so-many people, I adore Gilmore Girls. Unlike those people, I actually did not watch Gilmore Girls until AFTER I fell in love with Lauren Graham on Parenthood. I love Parenthood. Seriously, I still cry thinking about the Bravermans...

Anyway, I digress.

I was thrilled to watch the GG: A Year in the Life revival on Netflix and thought it was pretty brilliant marketing to have Graham's memoir come out at the same time. The nostalgia factor really worked well for this book.

Graham tells us a bit about her early years in the business, touches on GG, moves to a few stories about Parenthood, and the circles back to GG: A Year in the Life. And, don't get me wrong, I was entertained hearing little stories about her time on these two shows that I have spent so much time watching, and I think that Graham seems like a totally awesome person in general, but, honestly, the book was just okay.

This is one of those memoirs that very superficial -- it just brushes the surface of her experiences, doesn't really tell anything insightful, and feeds the nostalgia without going too deep. For example, pretty much all she talked about when she reflected on GG was the fashion and one quick reflection on each season. Yes, she revealed that she and Kelly Bishop would share a small bag of Cheetos when they worked late, but that is about as deep as it gets.

Nostalgia carried me through and kept a smile on my face, and I literally teared up at the end just hearing how emotional she was at being Lorelei again (oh, and any time she mentioned Edward Hermann I sniffled), but other than enjoying a little trip down memory lane (and I do mean little, the audio is only 4.5 hours) there really wasn't much else here.

Graham states multiple times that she is a private person and pretty shy. To write a great memoir, I think you have to NOT be those things. You have to reveal at least some things so people can connect with you. Otherwise you are just left with nostalgia.

But, I am a sucker for nostalgia.

P.S. My favorite story was about her first trip to REI with her boyfriend Peter Krause. LOL! I loved her description and laughed out loud. While not deep and personal, it was at least more of a glimpse into her life than the rest of the book.

Ashley Breanna (ashleybreanna13) | 91 comments I may read this for this topic, too! I love GG! Just getting into Parenthood.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I ❤Parenthood too!

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 02, 2017 12:37PM) (new)

Sorry, to hear the memoir doesn't go into much depth. I loved Someday, Someday, Maybe but maybe will skip this book, unless the library purchases it. Thanks for your thoughts, Nicole.

Btw, do you feel this book was really "quirky" or that reader's initially tagged it that way, assuming it would be quirky due to the GG connection?

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7620 comments Lisa Ann ✿ wrote: "Sorry, to hear the memoir doesn't go into much depth. I loved Someday, Someday, Maybe but maybe will skip this book, unless the library purchases it. Thanks for your thoughts, Nicol..."

I also did not really like Someday, Someday Maybe, so if you liked that one then you may like this one as well!

I think that Lauren Graham is quirky and tells her story in a kind of quirky way. It is perhaps not the strongest fit for this tag but I do think it is appropriate.

message 6: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3755 comments I think I liked this more than you did, but I agree it was vary surface-level. Compared to other celebrity memoirs, I thought it was weaker, but I'm a sucker for GG so I gave it 4 stars.

I actually have Someday, Someday, Maybe on hold at the library. Didn't even know she wrote a YA book until I read this one... Seems to be a mixed bag so far as far as review go.

message 7: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 7947 comments I suspect I'd be ok with superficial and nostalgic!

message 8: by Ladyslott (last edited Feb 02, 2017 05:47PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I'm almost done with it, and I think it ill come in about the same rating.

Have to agree about the REI scene - it was pretty funny. I just feel that at times she's just trying too hard to be quirky. And she calls herself quirky several times in the book - therefore it fits the tag.