Presidential Biography Challenge discussion

Been working on this....

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Mala (maladan) | 9 comments I'm just finishing John Quincy Adams (#6). A while back I thought it would be cool to read a book on each president. Anyway, I saw this group and joined. I'm going pretty mainstream with my selections, but appreciate any selections. Found the first 5 presidential reads very interesting. Had to drift off and read Ben Franklin and Hamilton just because reading a book on each president is somehow incomplete without them. Will do American Lion for Andrew Jackson next. Cheers!

message 2: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Mala (maladan) | 9 comments Here's my list thus far...

Washington a Life by Ron Chernow
John Adams by David McCullough
Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power by Jon Meacham
James Madison by Richard Brookiser
The Last Founding Father: James Monroe and a Nation's call to Greatness by Harlow Unger
Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Isaacson
Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow
John Quincy Adams by Harlow Unger

Got a ways to go!

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (murainman) | 16 comments Good luck! I am sure you will continue to have fun if you've enjoyed it thus far. My list differs from yours only with Madison, Monroe, and JQA. I own American Lion but read Remini's abbreviated Andrew Jackson. I, too, read Isaacson and Chernow on Franklin and Hamilton, and will throw in some bios of others along the way, including the perpetual Henry Clay. I just finished #11, the unsung James K. Polk, and I'm taking a bio break to read up on the Lee Harvey Oswald fantasies. Ciao!

message 4: by Gary (new)

Gary Schantz (allamericanhistory) | 7 comments Based on your list, I have read the same books on the first three presidents.

However I selected Madison by Lynne Cheney which seemed a bit too dry.

Now I am on Monroe by Unger.

As far as reading about other people involved in history, I'm trying to avoid that because it seems that it would take a year just to get through all the founding fathers. Besides Franklin and Hamilton, there are Burr, Paine, Samuel Adams, etc...too many to even name.

Daniel wrote: "Here's my list thus far...

Washington a Life by Ron Chernow
John Adams by David McCullough
Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power by Jon Meacham
James Madison by Richard Brookiser
The Last Founding Fa..."

message 5: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth | 25 comments Awesome! I have been at this for years and am only on Van Buren.

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Mala (maladan) | 9 comments Van Buren? I haven't even looked that far ahead. Ive got Andrew Jackson next who sounds like a sociopath so should be an interesting read!

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Funderburg (grubrednuf) | 45 comments Welcome Daniel!

And Gary, the problem with Madison is that the subject matter is dry. He was so boring! I feel like there's a reason his wife is as famous as him.

Good luck to you all and happy reading.